so am i the asshole here?

flood

i sell a fair number of screen print poster and for the past year i have refused to ship outside of the US. since then i have been much happier.

do you do prints? atl needs more prints for punk shows.

unfortunately not, i dont think i have a real musical or artistic bone in my body. so i end up a lowly collector.

eBay in general sucks nowadays. The sellers have no power. We can't even leave negative feedback and Paypal almost always sides with the buyer.

I had an international buyer open a case because I charge $5 extra as a handling fee. They immediately left me negative feedback even though the item was in perfect condition. I told them they could have a full refund if they shipped the item back and they got pissed because I "was taking them for an idiot. There is no way I am paying $20 in shipping to ship the item back."

Recently the last couple of things I've sold I've had buyers retracting bids for "Entered Wrong Amount" I've emailed ebay a few suggestions about this but of course they haven't done anything. Once again, I've something I listed sat at $35 for 2 days then went back to $28 when someone retracted their bid for entering the wrong amount. Ebay won't do anything about it either.

I've been selling records for 15 years, my partner for nearly 40, and we send out over 1000 packages per month with at least 40% going overseas. On an average year we lose no more than 1-3 packages per year. Most that are thought lost end up back at our door (this usually takes 6 weeks). Generally sellers won't ship to Italy or the Middle East, but we ship everywhere. Our general rule of thumb is parcels with a value over $100 must be sent Priority or Express Mail (we haven't lost one of those ever). Paypal started accepting the customs form number as tracking a couple years ago, but unfortunately that number only proves the parcel was mailed and does not show the parcel as delivered. There for Paypal will side with the buyer every single time as there's no proof of delivery. I personally lose no sleep over a lost $20 parcel, but can understand where this would be a big deal to others, and would suggest using Priority Flat rate whenever possible. Hope that helps.

the post office flood uses is incredibly bad...they somehow make the Chicago system seem flawless...I think it's all about your local office though, cause my post office rules and the ladies that work there love me because they know even when I show up with 10-20 packages that everything is set and they won't have any issues with them and i have all the customs forms ready to go.

that is why they love me at my post office too.

Guest markovianprocess
That said, I do think it's fair to tack that stuff on or give the option to the buyer to take a risk which the buyer agrees not to hold you accountable for.

I usually go for this option.

Recently the last couple of things I've sold I've had buyers retracting bids for "Entered Wrong Amount" I've emailed ebay a few suggestions about this but of course they haven't done anything. Once again, I've something I listed sat at $35 for 2 days then went back to $28 when someone retracted their bid for entering the wrong amount. Ebay won't do anything about it either.

Eh, I don't mind this so much. Would you rather have them win and not pay you?

My policy is that anything over $30 must be shipped via registered mail. It's an additional $11.50 and gives you a tracking number that paypal will accept. The buyer pays for this. Hassles elminiated. Except for those who don't actually read the auction description and get pissy when they see the invoice. Although once I explain to them that it's clearly stated in the auction description they pay up right away. No need to go to Fed Ex or anything like that.

It's good that eBay has the option for a buyer to retract their bid in case they accidentally entered the wrong amount, but there should definitely be a short time window set in which they can do that. To retract your bid because you entered the wrong amount 2 days later just seems like a dick move IMO.

eBay in general sucks nowadays. The sellers have no power. We can't even leave negative feedback and Paypal almost always sides with the buyer.."

true words.

I sell worldwide....an since 2-3 years , ebay just killing my nerves.....

Also it is very funny getting feedback saying "shipping to expensive" although shipping was clearly stated.....I once told an ebay worker about that ,he was from ebay germany ,I quote" most ebay users are to stupid to read!"

as for the people who do not wanna sell to internationals : I can totally understand you, but actually it totally sucks.....

When I sell within Germany I do not accept paypal anymore, when I sell Internationally I just ship with tracking #. Buyer has to pay!

Paypal Germany accepts shipping without a tracking # up to a artcile value of 23 Euros.....if the article has a higher value, shipping has to be insurred or will be send on the risk of the SELLER!

I ship a ton overseas and if you protect yourself as I mentioned before you won't have those issues. Out of the hundreds of records I ship I get hassled maybe 4 or 5 times a year and very rarely do I end up having to give anyone anything back. You can do it smart and not get screwed.

Guest thedayfelloncedars

ebay is a joke. paypal is even worse. can you spell monopoly? i will never ship internationally. hassle? just avoid anything out of country. to be honest avoid ebay all together. boycot paypal! 50% of international buyers on ebay are crooks! its a fact.