I Didn't Get My Autograph WWWAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Dave,

you're not alone. Either that or we're both THAT out of touch with music in 2010...but considering it's a band offering autographs as an incentive...probably not really anything we need to be aware of.

either fortunately or unfortunately (probably the later) I have feeling we are a bit out of touch with popular 2010 music. We're both getting old, and I think we have similar musical taste. A lot of the bands people talk about on here, I have never heard of before I joined the board.

...let alone they have 6 albums and are doing a box set and and it's selling out in pre-order.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

either fortunately or unfortunately (probably the later) I have feeling we are a bit out of touch with popular 2010 music. We're both getting old, and I think we have similar musical taste. A lot of the bands people talk about on here, I have never heard of before I joined the board.

...let alone they have 6 albums and are doing a box set and and it's selling out in pre-order.

jesus..

I want to hear what they sound like, but I'm too lazy to check. I'm guessing a mix of Gaslight Anthemy, 2 Cow Garage with a dash of Against Me tossed in?

But how is being excited about an autograph different from wanting every color variant? Or a test press? That's certainly not all about the music right?

Would you be upset if you ordered a record of a certain color and limited variety and were sent a different one that's more common and isn't worth as much? You personally may not but I doubt you would be calling people out for feeling cheated? Even if the autograph doesn't make the record more valuable that doesn't mean the personal value isn't the same. Personally I think it's beyond retarded to want a test pressing just to have a copy of a record that is all black, no cover art, lyric sheet, just the name of the album written in sharpie on it. I personally think that's stupid but you would never see me saying it on here but for the case of this argument.

Half the time I order a record, it's from No Idea and I don't get the option to choose a color. It's luck of the draw/first come first serve. I really don't care about the color unless I'm flipping something. If someone complained about not getting the right variant, I wouldn't call them out but I would question why they're buying records in the first place.

I guess the whole record "collecting" thing is what bums me out. My records are not an investment. They aren't something I view as intrinsically valuable because of their color/limitedness. Open-ended pressings on all black would suit me just as well, but colored vinyl is more fun, and it looks cool.

Personally I think it's beyond retarded to want a test pressing just to have a copy of a record that is all black, no cover art, lyric sheet, just the name of the album written in sharpie on it. I personally think that's stupid but you would never see me saying it on here but for the case of this argument.

I would never say that, but I'm going to say it right now.

Also, to shatter your theory some test presses have better packaging than the retail version. Some test pressings sound different than the retail version (different mix, different tracklisting). Lastly, I know of at least three records, Jazz June, Lets Go Bowling, and Midtown, that there were test pressings made, but never had a retail pressing.

vinyl

your argument is intrinsically flawed.

This is my problem. You're looking at records like baseball cards, and that bums me out. I hate to be that guy, but there's music on these things, and when you get into such a collector's mindset that you get legitimately upset that something you bought isn't autographed, I feel like you're forgetting that. It sounds to me like this record has been out of print for a long time, and a lot of people were excited just to get a copy at all, because they like the music on it and want to play it on their record player.

I appreciate your levelheaded argument here.

But how is being excited about an autograph different from wanting every color variant? Or a test press? That's certainly not all about the music right?

Would you be upset if you ordered a record of a certain color and limited variety and were sent a different one that's more common and isn't worth as much? You personally may not but I doubt you would be calling people out for feeling cheated? Even if the autograph doesn't make the record more valuable that doesn't mean the personal value isn't the same. Personally I think it's beyond retarded to want a test pressing just to have a copy of a record that is all black, no cover art, lyric sheet, just the name of the album written in sharpie on it. I personally think that's stupid but you would never see me saying it on here but for the case of this argument.

i personally would not be upset about not getting a rarer color/one that's 'worth' more. i don't collect records with the intention of selling them for profit, so what one color or another is 'worth' is irrelevant to me. i frequently order or trade for less rare variants if i feel that color goes with the album art better.

also, i agree that test pressings are usually stupid. and even though you said you wouldn't say that on here, i hate to be the one to inform you of this...but you just did.

also, i agree that test pressings are usually stupid. and even though you said you wouldn't say that on here, i hate to be the one to inform you of this...but you just did.

I think you're stupid...so there!

you are correct in your thinking, good sir!

allison: stupider than test pressings since 1985

I've never cared about autographs (other than the Fred Penner autograph I got from when I was 5) and I would never pay more for an autograph, but I understand where they're coming from.

They paid more for the autograph and didn't get it. Wouldn't you be pissed if you paid for something and didn't get it, no matter how trivial it is?

Totally confused as to why people want an autograph from someone they have never met, why they paid more for it, and why their girlfriends will be impressed that they bought them 1 of 1000 pieces of paper that some guy signed.

More than what? The first press, which has been OOP for a few years, went for a few hundred dollars, so a repress at $18 is a far cry from paying a premium. This was the first place the preorder appeared, and as the price seemed reasonable, I purchased it. I personally could care less about it being signed. I just wanted a copy of the album. (And even now that the presumably "unsigned" version has hit other distros, they're still priced just the same. There was absolutely no "premium" paid for the dude's signature.)

The stupidity of people in this thread (on both sides of the debate) is incredible. Imagine how productive everyone would be if they put this much effort into shit that actually mattered, rather than trying to put others down for spending their money on shit that, while you may view as trivial, actually matters to them.

Imagine how productive everyone would be if they put this much effort into shit that actually mattered, rather than trying to put others down for spending their money on shit that, while you may view as trivial, actually matters to them.

Yeah, like writing two paragraph responses to this thread, :P

Imagine how productive everyone would be if they put this much effort into shit that actually mattered, rather than trying to put others down for spending their money on shit that, while you may view as trivial, actually matters to them.

this--totally should have spent the time I spent reading this thread studying for my math/stat final...

Totally confused as to why people want an autograph from someone they have never met, why they paid more for it, and why their girlfriends will be impressed that they bought them 1 of 1000 pieces of paper that some guy signed.

More than what? The first press, which has been OOP for a few years, went for a few hundred dollars, so a repress at $18 is a far cry from paying a premium. This was the first place the preorder appeared, and as the price seemed reasonable, I purchased it. I personally could care less about it being signed. I just wanted a copy of the album. (And even now that the presumably "unsigned" version has hit other distros, they're still priced just the same. There was absolutely no "premium" paid for the dude's signature.)

I'm guessing he meant more than Amazon where people with Prime are able to get it for $15.72 compared to Because Sound Matters where after tax and shipping the total comes to about $27.00