TDKR- The Dark Knight Rises

TFP

Just a thought -- I wonder if this movie had been the 6th and they had all been great if it would have made the ending more "epic" (even though some people would say it was epic).

I guess I'm kinda saying if it really was time to wrap up these flicks, Christian Bale was a little older, etc. it would have been different. Skipping 7 years and then ending the story when there was a whole lot more to be told is kinda like reading the last chapter of a book and skipping the middle. It just didn't feel like it was time for Batman to ride off into the sunset yet. Making sense?

There wasn't a ton to that Man of Steel teaser (why was Clark Kent crab fishing lol?) but it should be sweet. Seemed like a decent part of the Dark Knight team was involved and I've liked Henry Cavill since he was on the Tudors.

The theater I was in seemed generally pissed about the trailer. I heard a good amount of people saying "That's it!?". I though it was sufficient for a TEASER.

Also yeah not sure what's up with the fishing.

Disclaimer -- This is all about Superman so if only reading this thread for Dark Knight Returns, skip it.

I may be jumping to conclusions but in the IMDB page for the movie, Zod is the 6th name listed (after clark, lois, Jor-El, and both Kents). I'm assuming that means this movie is going to really focus on Clark's backstory and his family, with a villian to provide a good ending. Maybe I am reading too much into the ordering.

The first two Reeve Supermans are OK, the next two are god-awful, and the Brandon Routh one is bad.

Smallville was AMAZING. It hit a lull around season 4 and 5 when the Lana relationship got dragged out too long and there were weird villians (witches?), but it recovered nicely and went on to have some great arcs with the lesser used Superman villians (Bizzaro, the Kandorians, Darkseid, and ESPECIALLY the Doomsday arc in Season 8). Loved the use of the Justice League (Flash cameos were great, Green Arrow was a huge part of the show, Aquaman and Martian Manhunter were cool when they showed up). Last episode was the only TV show to ever bring tears to my eyes.

Point that I am making is that it works well in Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy to have the no superpowers rule. Even Arnold in his heyday couldn't pull off the level of physical perfection that is needed to make Batman taking on a superpowered foe believable. With Superman, on the other hand, I hope they go the opposite way and bring in some of the stronger villians, not just Zod followed by Luthor. Get out there with it a little and go with Doomsday or Darkseid. Smallville has shown that it can be done well.

Honestly, I may be alone, but I actually really liked Bane's voice. It fit the intellectual side of his character really well, which they gave just as much credit to as the physical dominance.

This was my favorite of the three.

The first Bane / Batman fight in the sewers was so visceral and fantastic.

Saw TDKR tonight, have to say i was more than a little underwhelmed. It might have been the hype or the fact i re-watched The Dark Knight in the week leading up to it but for me it was really lacking something. I found it badly paced for a movie that long and quite hammy in places but above all it was just particularly "hollywood". I know this is a ridiculous way to describe the biggest film of the year as it is, clearly, a massive summer blockbuster but in comparison to TDK (possibly an unfair one if i'm honest) it lacked the grit that i hoped would be carried through from the last film. Trying to put my finger on exactly what i found so underwhelming is pretty hard but i was actually particularly bummed when Bane's plot to use a ticking nuclear bomb was made clear, all just a little too cliche and i felt like i could have predicted exactly how it ended with Batman saving Gotham with seconds to spare a mile off. The complete lack of mystery around Bane was also frustrating. Obviously the set pieces were great but i still found it all really disappointing in comparison to - as someone pointed out earlier - Batman flipping the truck or the tension when the two boats were rigged with explosives in TDK, i really thought that the guys who had written such an awesome movie before were capable of something with far more imagination. I didn't HATE it, it'd definitely see it again and be open to changing my opinion but for now... meh.

This movie was SO much better the second time. Scenes that felt rushed the first time, didn't as much the second. I guess it was just a matter of knowing what to expect with regards to the pacing.

i agree. the first time i saw it at the midnight opening, i was on a roller coaster of emotion, not knowing what to expect. the second time, i was able to look at it more analytically, and i think the pacing works quite well. definitely better the second time.

Ya know how when a band you love releases a bad record you listen to the first time and dislike it but you listen a bunch of times anyways until it kind of grows on you? Great records you listen to once and think "whoa, this is amazing". Well I think part of this "second time is better" talk is along the lines of the same thing.

A really great movie you see the first time and it throws you off for the rest of the day with feeling. When you see it a second time it is just becoming familiar, not that it was great the first time and you just didn't follow it properly.

i can't believe how whiny people are getting about this. http://www.slashfilm.com/15-bothered-the-dark-knight-rises/

i watched 1989 Batman last night, and next to the Nolan trilogy, it now looks just as campy as Adam West batman.

The only reason there's so many things to nitpick with Rises is because the first two were so good. It's hard to fit the ending of an epic like this in 2 hours and 45 minutes.

Think about all the Batman canon they fit in:

-Selina Kyle relationship with Batman

-Talia relationship with Bruce

-Ra's and League Of Shadows

-Robin

-Bane breaking Batman's back

-Scarecrow

But I think the one thing this movie didn't have was that one scene or moment that had the crowds head spinning. Going back to dark knight, I can reference when he flips the semi.

If that moment for Rises wasn't Batman's initial defeat in the sewers then I don't know what would be. I think it speaks to the general desensitization of modern audiences that this scene is not regarded in this way. A semi flipping over is a spectacle but it has very little weight on the outcome of the character(s). Batman being beaten that badly is pretty disconcerting not just visually but for the character and has an incredibly heavy gravity on the whole plot.

If that moment for Rises wasn't Batman's initial defeat in the sewers then I don't know what would be. I think it speaks to the general desensitization of modern audiences that this scene is not regarded in this way. A semi flipping over is a spectacle but it has very little weight on the outcome of the character(s). Batman being beaten that badly is pretty disconcerting not just visually but for the character and has an incredibly heavy gravity on the whole plot.

you could also say it was the scene when the bombs are detonating and the football field falls away. granted, it's a little cheesy seeing hines ward just barely outrunning the collapsing field (side note: couldn't they have used a fast receiver? and I don't remember seeing his expression when he turned around, but I can only assume that he was smiling...), but had I not seen pictures of it months ago, that totally would've been a "wtf..." moment.

responding to both of your comments, neither of those were a surprise. the football field was spoiled with the first trailer, and even if we werent 100% certain that bane was breaking his back, it was still close to about 78%.

not to take away from how awesome they both were, but without the element of surprise, they lose their "OH SHIT!!" punch.

responding to both of your comments, neither of those were a surprise. the football field was spoiled with the first trailer, and even if we werent 100% certain that bane was breaking his back, it was still close to about 78%.

not to take away from how awesome they both were, but without the element of surprise, they lose their "OH SHIT!!" punch.

For me, that was the moment Talia revealed herself. Did not see that coming at all. That was on that level of surprise.

For me, that was the moment Talia revealed herself. Did not see that coming at all. That was on that level of surprise.

I assumed that didn't count (or at least isn't the same as the truck flipping) since it's a major plot point type of thing, but yeah, totally didn't see that coming and it made the second watch more interesting as you notice things like

the fact that bane can't be the child who climbs out of the pit because we already know that he got the mask while in the prison and the "flashbacks" clearly show a child w/o a mask