TDKR- The Dark Knight Rises

TFP

After Alfred looks up and smiles, it should have cut to Leonardo DiCaprio sitting at the table with Selina Kyle, smiling back at Alfred.

But really, the ending was taken straight out of the comics that this movie was based on. Bruce leads everyone to believe he died in the explosion and starts a new life with Selina Kyle. Nolan was probably trying to avoid even the smallest bit of ambiguity after the insanity that ensued over Inception's ending. I loved the way he did it, too. I legitimately wanted Bruce to die before I even saw the film, especially after how much they foreshadowed it, but instead of being stoked when I thought it happened, I could only think about Alfred and how devastated he was. By the time the ending rolls around, after we see Alfred balling his eyes out, I was so thrilled to see Bruce alive. It would have been grim and ballsy, but the emotional aspect that Michael Cain brought the film totally sold me on the ending, however cheesy it seemed.

finally saw this last night on imax.

twas my first imax experience as well.

fucking wonderful movie, and wonderful way to show/hear movies.

i loved everything about it, except maybe the ticket price.

This was the first real movie I saw on IMAX as well and it was awesome. How much were tickets? It was $12 here.

This was the first real movie I saw on IMAX as well and it was awesome. How much were tickets? It was $12 here.

$17 for me. i envy your price.

If I went to go see this by myself, what level of loser does that make me?

i hate seeing movies with other people.

i can't give the movie my full attention.

I haven't ever done it before, but I feel like... why does it matter if I go with anyone else... I'm not going to talk to them during the movie anyway? I do enjoy dissecting everything on the car-ride afterward though, but I already saw the movie, I just need to see it in IMAX before they pull it.

second time i saw it alone, and it was my first solo movie. decided that day that aside from midnight openings, im pretty much reserving movie trips to weekend mornings by myself.

References him coming back after 7 years. Nothing to do with the ending.

I'm not so sure I agree.

I think it has multiple meanings, just like the opening lines "have we started a fire?" "Yes, the fire rises" foreshadow the mushroom cloud at the end. The Dark Knight not only rises to return years later, he also rises from the pit, and so on.

And even though it was a bit undercooked in the movie, it was absolutely essential to see that he ended up with Selina Kyle. This goes back to the end of Batman Begins and the whole crux of the love story with Rachel Dawes.

Ultimately, it's presented that there are two "love interests" in this movie.

One, a very logical match; someone from his social strata that shares his interests and concerns. Someone he is compelled by circumstance to trust who ultimately betrays him. It would have worked a lot better if the seeds for this relationship had been planted earlier on, instead of trying to cram a whole new character and a new romance into this one movie, but there it is. It's obvious there's supposed to be chemistry between the two of them, even though she can't access him at all earlier on.

The second; someone who does intrigue him enough to leave his room, but seemingly the antithesis of Bruce Wayne the man. He chooses to trust her and chooses to offer her a chance at redemption when she betrays him. Ultimately, the whole point is that they are each other's redemption.

The whole point behind the whole thing was that Batman died so that Bruce Wayne could live. Rachel decided not to be with him because even though he would be with her when the city no longer needed Batman, she felt that HE couldn't live without Batman.

I understand why people thought that this ending was too "neat" and too cheery, but when you break it down and think about the whole thing thematically - and the character of Bruce Wayne/Batman specifically - this ending is the only one that really makes sense. It's hard to parse out everything over three movies, but you also have to keep in mind that this was never meant to be self-contained, so the ending had to serve 2 purposes; to close out this one film, and to be the denouement of the whole thing.

And mind, after I first saw this with my friends, all we did was talk shit about everything we DIDN'T like, even though we liked the movie on the whole. But after a second viewing, I definitely enjoy it a lot more.

Though I did laugh at the prisoners marching out of Blackgate waving their guns in the air. It made me think of that Eddie Murphy bit where he's waving his fictional ice cream cone around and singing about it, "I got some IIIIIICE CREAM."

Also, Foley is shown with both hands on a handgun in one scene, with an assault rifle the next, and then laying on the ground with no weapon at all. Continuity goddamn error!

THERE WAS ANOTHER potential ending for this movie, and it's the one that I would have chosen. If I had written this movie, personally, and told the story in my own way, the whole last third of the movie everything would have happened the same, more or less. Except that I would have shown Patrick Bateman making about 8 more attempts at climbing out of the Pit and never succeeding. And at the end, the bomb would have gone off and everybody would have died.

Just got home from IMAX... fuckers screwed it up. First, they started the previews with no sound. Who cares, though. But about 2/3rds through the movie the lights in house came on and stayed on for like 3 minutes. WTF.

Anyway.

When Talia is in the truck and Batman is trying to steer the bomb back to the reactor and it goes down onto lower 5th, the dummy for the driver very clearly falls out of the driver door. It's pretty comical.

Even though I saw the movie already, the bit with Alfred saying he failed Bruce's parents still got me. It's so damn sad.

Just a couple of things that I needed to clear up:

How the hell does Blake know that Bruce is Batman, his reason is not good enough for me.

Also: Prisoners cheer everyone on that tries to get out of the pit, why weren't the supporting the girl? I'm guessing it's because she's a little girl and yeah, not going there. Along with that, if only one person has ever escaped from the pit, how did Bane get out? And if he got that fucked up protecting her, and needed the mask, how did he get it in the pit? and if he didn't why didn't he die?

Sorry, it's stupid shit I was just curious

I saw it obviously, is it worth going to see again in IMAX for 18?

Last thing, can anyone direct me to pdfs of this storyline in the comics so I can read them before I see it again?

Just a couple of things that I needed to clear up:

How the hell does Blake know that Bruce is Batman, his reason is not good enough for me.

Also: Prisoners cheer everyone on that tries to get out of the pit, why weren't the supporting the girl? I'm guessing it's because she's a little girl and yeah, not going there. Along with that, if only one person has ever escaped from the pit, how did Bane get out? And if he got that fucked up protecting her, and needed the mask, how did he get it in the pit? and if he didn't why didn't he die?

Sorry, it's stupid shit I was just curious

I saw it obviously, is it worth going to see again in IMAX for 18?

Last thing, can anyone direct me to pdfs of this storyline in the comics so I can read them before I see it again?

bane was taken from the pit by ra's and the LOS.

i guess with blake knowing batmans identity, you just have to hold trust in the shared pain of witnessing the murder of a parent.

there was somewhat of a theme of fate sprinkled about the film, and it came into play with both blake and selina.