The Walking Dead

mcm1610

This is a perfect example of how the show portrays characters unrealistically. No just no. This would not happen. When watching this I actually wondered, "Is this really the best that the writers of this show had to offer us?" There is so much more they could have done with this episode. You almost feel like they are running out of ideas.

This. They couldn't have come up with something a bit more intriguing for what Carol was doing while she was away from the group? "Oh she did exactly what you'd expect. Holed up somewhere making rain catchers out of plastic bottles." Now compare that to what Michonne did when she was alone: in her own personal hell, dragging along two mutilated chained zombies. 

Don't get me started on Abraham's backstory. While protecting his family, he frightens them to the point where they leave him and end up dead. So forced. No creativity.

But again, we knew how the episode was going to end two weeks ago when Carol showed up in the hospital, so there was no "I have no clue how this episode will end" feeling while watching this.

That's half the problem though. The pacing is so slow. You didn't need 50 minutes of running around Atlanta talking about (or not really talking about) the same things. I don't see why they couldn't have gotten into atlanta, found the truck, found Noah, have Carol end up in the hospital, show Beth finding Carol, show Noah explaining things to Darryl, have them go back to the Church, then show the group preparing for the fight. You'd still end up in the same spot we're in now for next week's episode.

I am a firm believer that this show changed when breaking bad debuted on AMC. I strongly believe that Walking Dead tried (and failed) to compete with the viewing market of Breaking Bad. As soon as Breaking Bad began becoming successful, Walking Dead added more and more drama to the show, while removing elements that made the show unique. But unlike Breaking Bad, Walking Dead's drama lacked substance, plot relevance or even intrigue. Walking Dead would be better off if it kept marketing itself as a unique show that does not have any interest in conforming to modern day standards or practices of other television shows. Isnt that the entire point of this show anyway? To be the first Zombie epic television program? Because lately im confused, it feels more like the first never ending survival soap opera that occasionally features zombies that slightly annoy the remaining humans.

tired of hearing this, because no, no, no, no. that is NOT the entire point of the show. if you think it is, then you're missing the point entirely.  if you read the comics the show is supposed to be based on, it is intentionally the opposite of every zombie movie, which is what made it so compelling. it's focus is on the PEOPLE and how they interact and are forced to adapt under the conditions. the zombies are just incidental characters (and i use the word 'characters' loosely, because really they're more of a set piece than anything).

AMC obviously knows how to make good character driven programming, but they're trying to appease the 'MAKE THIS LIKE A CHEESY ZOMBIE MOVIE!!' people like you, AND the fans of the comics, who know how good the character centric plots were, and they're just not doing a good job of it.

I agree with the premise A-Money, but not the conclusion. I just don't think they can create a good character driven drama, I think we have seen them try and fail pretty consistently. I'd much rather watch the show you describe, but if it isn't meant to be, I'd prefer they go with a plot-driven zombie series. 

Currently, in my opinion, the WD does neither consistently. This season is a great example. We are maybe 5 episodes in and we already have a second set of antagonists. They'll last until the mid-season finale at the longest. When you have to characterize your antagonists in a few short episodes you end up with shit like Officer McRapey and Cannibal Gareth and the Hungry Bunch. You've got one or two episodes to prove they are "bad folks" so you resort to caricatures and really shallow character development. None of that shit is in service of a larger, more interesting arc, at least that I can see and it always feels like wheel-spinning until they get to their mid-season cliff hanger... which they'll promptly get out of in, say, 20 minutes the following season. 

The Governor sub-plot was as close as they came to marrying the two. Problem was they decided to do it twice for some reason.

It is neither here nor there, but Breaking Bad is an interesting reference point because I don't remember them doing "character-driven" stuff anywhere near as well as people give them credit for doing. They really nailed the final season so I think people tend to forget all the contrived shit that happened in service of the plot early on. But, on the other hand, it didn't matter because they did plot so damn well that I didn't really give a fuck. Breaking Bad was a better show, no doubt, and a good example of how much slack people will cut you if you do at least one thing really well. 

My 2 dumb cents. 

It's amazing how many people watch the show who apparently hate everything about it

I have been bitching a lot lately, but the show sucked me in as a lifer the first 2 seasons. So it could be 7 more seasons of crap but I'll probably always watch every episode. Only because when it's good, it's REALLY good. First episode of this season for example.

tired of hearing this, because no, no, no, no. that is NOT the entire point of the show. 

Man if you are bothered that much by hearing about the Walking Dead being the first zombie epic television show, can you imagine how bothered I (as a dedicated fan) am watching carol cry like a little girl in a car only to have her finally respond (to a zombie mind you)  "GO AWAY!". The cheesy music in the background doesn't help either. Too  many scenes like this. Unless of course someone out there feels this is truly a necessary scene that certainly defines Carol and is essential to character development...yeah. 

AMC obviously knows how to make good character driven programming, but they're trying to appease the 'MAKE THIS LIKE A CHEESY ZOMBIE MOVIE!!' people like you, AND the fans of the comics, who know how good the character centric plots were, and they're just not doing a good job of it.

You are jumping to a few conclusions. In fact I am not quite sure what you are implying by saying AMC knows how to make a good character driven program? No one is disputing that, in fact I was earlier praising their work with Breaking Bad.  But, to imply that any programming that airs on AMC is gold simply by airing on that channel is a bit of a strange idea. No writer is free from bad ideas or poorly executed work.

I have no desire for them to simply make a cheesy zombie movie (nor have I met anyone that asks for that). That would be terrible. First of all they couldnt. Especially since Romero has already conquered that domain so well. I specifically stated that originally they regularly challenged audiences. That is an important point. It implies that yes they are aware of B campy films and have purposely included nuances from that era but they also took it a step further in a new and fresh direction. That is one thing a I really crave. A new and fresh direction that demands intrigue. The first seasons DO establish this and I love them. I still think the walking dead is a great tv show, I would just like to see some intrigue brought back.

Number of (arguably) entertaining and acclaimed tv shows the producers and writers of walking dead have created: 1; the number anyone in this thread has created: 0

Overly critical viewers are the best.

But aren't viewers expected to be critics at least at some level? Isn't constructive criticism healthy for creating diversity and fueling new and better ideas? And don't some shows deserve more criticism then others? Personally, I don't think for example Breaking Bad needs as much criticism as LOST. If viewers weren't critical would't that defeat the purpose of having diversity between different shows. Couldn't writers then simply say "If it works for that show it will work for mine." 

Another example is: Ronald D. Moore supposedly created Battlestar Galactica based on criticisms he held towards Star Trek. Thank God too. 

So because millions of people have never run a country that means they can't criticize their president?

Have you ever played professional baseball/football/hockey? Well I hope you never have anything negative to say against a sports team then.

So much butt-hurt in here when people have conflicting opinions.

I don't really give a shit about the van. Nor did I care that sometimes the prison seemed 2 miles from Woodbury while other times it seemed like 25 miles. Or that they have nice hair and beards. Or any of the other shit that doesn't really matter that much. 

All I'm asking is for interesting things to happen to interesting people for, at least, a couple of consecutive episodes.