The Walking Dead

mcm1610

Shark, jumped.  I loved this show, and this episode was a huge turnoff.  I'm not sure yet whether or not it was a complete deal breaker, but I'm not excited for season 7 to happen now at all.  

you made it one season longer than we did. they lost me at the end of season 5, never even watched a single episode of this season (we ended up cutting cable and i made no effort whatsoever to catch up digitally). came in to have stuff spoiled.

anything good happen? you know, in the probably 2 or 3 good episodes the season was bound to have?

Shark, jumped. I loved this show, and this episode was a huge turnoff. I'm not sure yet whether or not it was a complete deal breaker, but I'm not excited for season 7 to happen now at all.

The shark jump happened with Glenn and the dumpster, Walking Dead is just playing it safe and not taking risks. I'll be watching in October because I've stuck with it this long, but I won't be surprised when it's just Eugene or Abraham gone from the show.

The shark jump happened with Glenn and the dumpster, Walking Dead is just playing it safe and not taking risks. I'll be watching in October because I've stuck with it this long, but I won't be surprised when it's just Eugene or Abraham gone from the show.

Yeah, exactly!  I felt like after that they wouldn't have the balls to do it again, but the showrunners were almost like here's the middle finger, we do have the balls to do it again, like the audience deserves to be punished or something.  It'd have been one thing if it was good storytelling or even an otherwise good episode to leave us on that.  But it wasn't.

Okay so, let me start by saying I loved the introduction of Negan as a whole. I love JDM as Negan and I thought the entire episode was fantastic... but the whole point of Negan's arrival is for him to come in, fuck everything up and leave you/the characters absolutely devastated wondering what's next. Part of me is plain offended, this whole cliffhanger is like a slap in the face to the core fanbase who made this show as popular as it is.There's no reason why "the biggest show on television" should have to resort to something this detrimental to the most iconic moment in the story to date.

But after watching Talking Dead and hearing Gimple and Kirkman discuss it, I see what the method to their madness is. The way they're selling it is the cliffhanger isn't the story, the death itself is the end of this story and the victim, the specific person that got killed, and how that'll effect everybody is the next story. My only hope is that when TWD returns they'll be able to craftily build the momentum back up so it doesn't feel like we've been waiting for almost half a year. I'm afraid they won't be able to pull it off and it won't feel natural. The moment is supposed to be a huge amount of build up right before having the rug pulled out from under your feet and I don't feel like the rug got pulled out from under my feet not knowing who died. Obviously someone died, but not knowing who takes away the whole devastation of the scene for me.

Also, I really hate blood on the camera effects. The blood dripping down the screen looked so shitty and it completely took me out of the moment.

...but most importantly, my Lucille. She's such a beautiful girl, the camera's made her look real nice.

I thought gimple and Kirkman's explanation was garbage. As a non-comic reader, I have no major preconceived notion of how I think the show should be. If they switch glenns death to a less important character - fine by me, I like Glenn and I know they've done it before - but if you're gonna build negan up in the way that they have and save him for the final 10 minutes of the entire season... somebody's head needs to get bashed in and you need to show the audience who it is and what negan did to that person. Make us hate/fear this guy and be totally shocked at the brutality of it. That's the payoff... the closure to the season. I mean, That's why they call it a finale. If there was no source material like the comic, this would still be a super annoying ending. I liked JDM as Negan a lot but all the suspense and terror they built up to that point completely evaporated for me in about 2 seconds with that ending. I honestly had a stronger reaction to carol and Maggie burning those saviours alive. So, the suggestion that they cant tell the story of ricks descent without giving the audience the ending they deserve after 16 episodes is a really weak one. It was clearly evident in ricks face that he was scared and knew he fucked up (really good acting by Andrew Lincoln in this episode). Nevermind the fact that they ended the last two episodes of the season the same way - with blood on the screen (really cheesy - even for a zombie show - and I agree, it looked horrible).

I've noticed no one has mentioned Aaron as being the one who was possibly clubbed by Lucille. I highly doubt it was him, but when Negan started to play Eeny, Meenie you never saw Aaron during that sequence, but you saw everyone else. Maybe it was a precursor to something. However, I'm probably looking to much into it, but i figured i'd throw it out there.

I came here, hit reply automatically to not read anything as I have yet to watch the finale... to add this as something i overheard at work

So I work for a rather large corporation, and my department is very small, so were tucked in a row of office/cubes with other corporate departments that are extemely obnoxious/loud about everything.  So one lady comes in and starts saying "OH MY GOD DID YOU WATCH THE LAST EPISODE???" everyone, I mean EV-REY-ONE in her group said no, they had DVR'd it to watch it later (all for different reasons), and said, repeatedly, don't spoil anything, we dont want to know who dies.  they didnt want to know anything.  nothing at all.  so this lady goes "oh, dont worry, no one dies, the season ends without you knowing who died".  I have never heard someone get cussed at so much by MULTIPLE people... loudly.  so annoying.  I'll come back to this thread after I watch the episode later this week.. I just had to add this now as it literally just happened and everyone is fuming.  what a jerk

I've noticed no one has mentioned Aaron as being the one who was possibly clubbed by Lucille. I highly doubt it was him, but when Negan started to play Eeny, Meenie you never saw Aaron during that sequence, but you saw everyone else. Maybe it was a precursor to something. However, I'm probably looking to much into it, but i figured i'd throw it out there.

We did see Aaron's face in the sequence.

I have a feeling that it's Eugene. When Negan was pacing the line-up he walked past Rick and Carl before he stopped at his victim, and Eugene was at the last one on that side.

My guess is on Abraham. They seemed to be focusing on him a lot for no real reason, and like many others have said...

Spoilers only because I have read what happens in the comics.

Abraham was supposed to get the Denise death. Pretty sure they just kept him around to take Glen's place. Eugene is vital for next season so I don't think they can pull off killing him.

I thought gimple and Kirkman's explanation was garbage. As a non-comic reader, I have no major preconceived notion of how I think the show should be. If they switch glenns death to a less important character - fine by me, I like Glenn and I know they've done it before - but if you're gonna build negan up in the way that they have and save him for the final 10 minutes of the entire season... somebody's head needs to get bashed in and you need to show the audience who it is and what negan did to that person. Make us hate/fear this guy and be totally shocked at the brutality of it. That's the payoff... the closure to the season. I mean, That's why they call it a finale. If there was no source material like the comic, this would still be a super annoying ending. I liked JDM as Negan a lot but all the suspense and terror they built up to that point completely evaporated for me in about 2 seconds with that ending. I honestly had a stronger reaction to carol and Maggie burning those saviours alive. So, the suggestion that they cant tell the story of ricks descent without giving the audience the ending they deserve after 16 episodes is a really weak one. It was clearly evident in ricks face that he was scared and knew he fucked up (really good acting by Andrew Lincoln in this episode). Nevermind the fact that they ended the last two episodes of the season the same way - with blood on the screen (really cheesy - even for a zombie show - and I agree, it looked horrible).

You're absolutely right, just trying to be a little bit more positive about it and give them the benefit of the doubt. I don't agree with all of these people (not here, but in general) calling for Gimple's head on a plate over this cliffhanger bullshit. Do I like it? Nah, but I love 95% of everything else he's done for this show and I think overall he's a great showrunner. The Walking Dead needs to just be more aggressive and quit playing it so safe.

Regardless, I think the introduction of Negan and The Kingdom (the guys in armor from last episode and this episode who help Morgan and Carol - did anybody notice the drawing of the castle on the wall behind Morgan during that one scene?) have/are going to drastically change up the show in a good way. The whole point of Negan's introduction in the comics was to mix things up and say "the world is MUCH larger, we have a lot of good stuff coming) and in that sense I think they nailed it on the show. It's not the same show anymore, we're going to see Alexandria grow into more of a political superpower of the zombie apocalypse and we're going to see Rick REALLY start rebuilding the world. We're going to see all of these communities (Alexandria, Hilltop and The Kingdom) working together against (and eventually alongside) The Saviors and everything is going to be much more grandscale than they were before. Everything up until this point was just the build up to this part of the story, we're slowly starting to realize (it'll be more noticeable in seasons 7 and 8) Rick's true purpose as "president of the zombie apocalypse" and I can't wait for it. Sorry for the rant lol

So my wife thinks she picked up something...

she thinks it's Abraham. One being he was standing tall on his knees (proud) showing no emotion, like a soldier would do. Everyone else was terrified, so he could use Abraham as an example since the others were already scared. Plus he was supposed to die earlier like in the comics. And lastly, right before negan starts swinging, I believe he says something like "take it like a good soldier"?

So my wife thinks she picked up something...

she thinks it's Abraham. One being he was standing tall on his knees (proud) showing no emotion, like a soldier would do. Everyone else was terrified, so he could use Abraham as an example since the others were already scared. Plus he was supposed to die earlier like in the comics. And lastly, right before negan starts swinging, I believe he says something like "take it like a good soldier"?

"Damn, taking it like a champ!" - Me, motherfucker.

Okay so now that everyone has seen the finale, I want to share this with you guys.

This is leaked audio from the finale, from before it aired, of the Lucille scene. AMC cut it off early in the final version of the episode that aired and the "Mag-Maggie" bit is confirmed to be Negan saying "damn", but if you listen until the end I think you'll all feel a lot better about how bad that ending was.

Click at your own discretion.

"Damn, taking it like a champ!" - Me, motherfucker.Okay so now that everyone has seen the finale, I want to share this with you guys.

This is leaked audio from the finale, from before it aired, of the Lucille scene. AMC cut it off early in the final version of the episode that aired and the "Mag-Maggie" bit is confirmed to be Negan saying "damn", but if you listen until the end I think you'll all feel a lot better about how bad that ending was.Click at your own discretion.

Ah, it was take it like a champ...not soldier. Couldn't remember 100%, hmmm

You're absolutely right, just trying to be a little bit more positive about it and give them the benefit of the doubt. I don't agree with all of these people (not here, but in general) calling for Gimple's head on a plate over this cliffhanger bullshit. Do I like it? Nah, but I love 95% of everything else he's done for this show and I think overall he's a great showrunner. The Walking Dead needs to just be more aggressive and quit playing it so safe.

nah, i mean the "fire gimple / im never watching this show again" crowd is dumb. the great majority of these people are going to watch the season 7 premiere (as will i). up until recently, i would defend what this show does story-wise and i have never really griped about anything until now. i do think gimple sometimes thinks hes being a lot more clever/artistic than he actually is though so i get peoples frustration with him. theyre totally ruining carol's character after turning her into the strongest female on the show. there's so many pauses for individual characters to have these overtly dramatic monologues that they pretty much lose all impact (the deanna death episode was literally the worst with this). theyve suddenly started randomly cramming a bunch of relationship stuff in the show almost all at once. they had at least... what? 3 or 4 cliffhanger endings this season? after awhile, you start to see a pattern formulating. i just hope whatever theyre planning this coming season is good because there is literally no way they didnt know a whole lot of people were going to react negatively to the "ending" of the finale. 

nah, i mean the "fire gimple / im never watching this show again" crowd is dumb. the great majority of these people are going to watch the season 7 premiere (as will i). up until recently, i would defend what this show does story-wise and i have never really griped about anything until now. i do think gimple sometimes thinks hes being a lot more clever/artistic than he actually is though so i get peoples frustration with him. theyre totally ruining carol's character after turning her into the strongest female on the show. there's so many pauses for individual characters to have these overtly dramatic monologues that they pretty much lose all impact (the deanna death episode was literally the worst with this). theyve suddenly started randomly cramming a bunch of relationship stuff in the show almost all at once. they had at least... what? 3 or 4 cliffhanger endings this season? after awhile, you start to see a pattern formulating. i just hope whatever theyre planning this coming season is good because there is literally no way they didnt know a whole lot of people were going to react negatively to the "ending" of the finale. 

Again, I absolutely agree. This is the first time I've had a big enough issue with Gimple's writing to really voice an opinion on it, but I've also been waiting for this moment to come since the third season and many others have been waiting even longer. Of all comic book moments, this is NOT the one they should have fucked up with some cliffhanger "ending".

...but like I said, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. They could have ended it right after Negan walks out of the RV and says "We pissing our pants yet?" and I'd still be watching when the show returns in October. I'm too emotionally invested in it at this point, they've got me for life.