Rosetta - A Determinism Of Morality

ijux

1 hour ago, The Butcha said:

Looks like the /100 is sold out and the black press is now an option 

Yeah the /100 sold out yesterday evening sometime.  The /200 colored is still an option, but you can't go wrong with a black variant for this album to preserve the sonic integrity as much as possible. 

This album is better than drugs!

7 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Shy, Low, Man Mountain, and Blankenberge all have the pinwheel thing going on in their latest offerings, and it comes out looking real nice!  However, and this could be my needle, but on every single 50/50 or multicolor album I have, I always hear a change in the noise floor when the needle passes over one color.  It's really bad on the reissue of the The Galilean Satellites 50/50's unfortunately.  I always hear "....krrrrrr.........krrrrr.......krrrrr......" as a soft static sound.  Every time, on every 50/50 album I've ever owned. 

Do you guys ever notice stuff like this?

No, this must just be an issue with your setup or something. I own more half-and-half variants than I'd like to admit and I've never had this problem.

On 5/4/2019 at 5:40 PM, omik11303 said:

No, this must just be an issue with your setup or something. I own more half-and-half variants than I'd like to admit and I've never had this problem.

Interesting, I'll have to try again - i just lowered my counterweight, I think I had it too heavy.  But literally, and i mean literally, every half/half record has done this.  It's dead silent on one color, and then on the other color you hear the static "shhhhhh...." noise. 

Also, LOL at everyone trying to dump their copies now on Discogs.  Even the $50 white variant isn't moving.  last week that would have been sold instantly. 

Hooray for capitalism!

On 5/7/2019 at 11:01 PM, daegor said:

split colours/colour-in-colour/etc releases often suffer from high levels of grit.  If I don't clean them well enough after opening them I'll hear what you're talking about.

Thanks for the insight, I'm going to do some experimenting with my cleaning solutions.  I just got a new carbon fiber brush and I think that's making a huge difference already!

I know i mentioned it before, but i think its hilarious that people are trying to dump their copies of this now.  One dude can't even get $40 for a 1st press Wake/Lift - that shit used to sell so fast for $100.  Markets are funny!

Edited by Gumbo72203

I've been listening to a lot of Rosetta over the past couple of days, I think they might be my favorite band right now. 

I saw them last year and was so incredibly pumped up for the show and felt kind of bad when there must have been no more than 25 people there, (to be fair it was a Tuesday.) They still killed it, but they should be selling out every tour date :/

Anyway, I welcome all represses with open arms

On 5/11/2019 at 2:53 PM, alwaysopenmouth said:

I've been listening to a lot of Rosetta over the past couple of days, I think they might be my favorite band right now. 

I saw them last year and was so incredibly pumped up for the show and felt kind of bad when there must have been no more than 25 people there, (to be fair it was a Tuesday.) They still killed it, but they should be selling out every tour date :/

Anyway, I welcome all represses with open arms

Yeah, they were in a sour mood it seemed when I first saw them in Boston; it was the 3rd night of their Fri/Sat/Sun "Quintessential Ephemera" run where they played the whole album.  There was maybe 15 people in the tiny bar. 

Mostly, it's the fact that America does not support this kind of music.  That's why they play Russia, the Balkans, South America, Europe, etc.  The culture is so vastly different over in Europe when it comes to music like this.  A band that draws 10 people here will draw 100 over there.  It's wild. 

But you're right - Rosetta are incredible, and may be my favorite band.  Don't skip the split releases either, some gems of songs there that didn't make it to full-lengths. 

5 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Yeah, they were in a sour mood it seemed when I first saw them in Boston; it was the 3rd night of their Fri/Sat/Sun "Quintessential Ephemera" run where they played the whole album.  There was maybe 15 people in the tiny bar. 

Mostly, it's the fact that America does not support this kind of music.  That's why they play Russia, the Balkans, South America, Europe, etc.  The culture is so vastly different over in Europe when it comes to music like this.  A band that draws 10 people here will draw 100 over there.  It's wild. 

But you're right - Rosetta are incredible, and may be my favorite band.  Don't skip the split releases either, some gems of songs there that didn't make it to full-lengths. 

Yeah I need to pick those up, I only have the spilt with Junius (another excellent and underrated band.)

On 5/13/2019 at 8:37 PM, alwaysopenmouth said:

Yeah I need to pick those up, I only have the spilt with Junius (another excellent and underrated band.)

I *finally* just got the Restorations split.  "So Warm a Solitude" might be my favorite split release.  Clavius is no joke though.  I still need that Balboa split...

On 5/14/2019 at 5:03 AM, Gumbo72203 said:

Pretty good turn out in Australia when they were here last, at least in Sydney. 

• 2 months later...

Got mine in today, once again TLR hits it out of the park with the presentation, look, and feel of this release. The spot-gloss looks great and the huge lyric booklet is reminiscent of the huge booklet the mylene sheath (RIP) sent out with Junius' MOAC 2xLP.

As for the records, I got the pinwheel/gray/colored splatter /100. They sound great, as all Rosetta albums do. Very little surface noise and very flat LPs.

TL;DR: slaps/10

Yeah i just finished opening all of mine back up.  My pinwheel LP1 looks interesting because the gray doesn't really make it all the way out so it's more like a splatter but LP2 is fucking loaded with gray haha its pretty neat. 

My only gripe is that the jackets are small, and you get that weird rippling thing going on.  I just compared it to my 3rd press and these 4th press ones are a touch narrower in the spine and maybe 3/8" less wide, give or take.  The 3rd press jacket is totally flat, so I'm a little bummed that my new ones have that floppy look, but oh well. 

Can't wait to spin them!

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Sasan said:

TL is selling test presses for $100 as I write

yeah i saw that, no thanks haha.  I was curious about the MOTA ones but not for $100 when they say you might get audio defects. 

My black side D of this ADOM release is scratched to fuuuuuuuuuuck.  Like, one of the worst I've ever seen.  Thanks to those loose plastic pieces...

Still sounds pretty good otherwise!

On 8/7/2019 at 4:15 AM, whoa said:

My copy arrived the other day and I absolutely love the packaging and the records look fantastic (the non-grey rainbow splatter). I haven't spun it yet (listening to it later), but I can see a few mild handling/scuffs on it, no scratches, just hope this doesn't affect the playback.

my black copy was not nearly as fucked as i would have assumed.  It has a lot of those jagged, geometric scratches and it had a good bit of plastic detritus in the sleeve, but it was only audible over one of them.  I hope yours doesn't suffer too much!