Your Suggestions for selling your records on VC

Guest admin1338560633

Guest Admin

So I have gotten more information on how to implement having the ability to let people sell their records on Vinyl collective, but I have some questions for you that will help me figure out some of the logistics:

Currently, the basic game plan is simple. You (the seller) would be able to sell your records in the Vinyl Collective Store. Buyers would be able to purchase your records at the same time they shop for the records we normally carry. Vinyl Collective process the payment and pays you once the buyer receives their item. I would ask that sellers ship the records with delivery confirmation so that we could track delivery.

So that is the basic game plan and I am trying to figure out some of the finer details. Some questions that come to mind include:

1. What if the record is delivered not exactly as described or slightly damaged. What should be the recourse?

2. Since delivery confirmation is key, we might not be able to offer international shipping since there is not an easy way to track international shipping.

3. I am trying to figure out a reasonable percentage to take for allowing this service and am thinking around 15 to 20 percent, thoughts?

4. any suggestions on making this work out as smoothly as possible?

I am going to meet with some friends / vinyl collectors to figure out some of the other logistics, but as always, let me know your thoughts.

thanks.

yeah delivery conformations a must. im not too sure about what to do if its damaged. id definately require photos of the damage but other than that idk how youd go about handling a dispute like that seeing as youd probably have someone dissatisfied on one end nomatter what. as for the 15-20 percent im thinking it would cause a lot of people to shy away from using it and go with ebay since their fees are around 5.25% plus a few random charges.

This is a great idea, I would definitely use this to buy and sell. The delivery confirmation is a great idea but I agree that the service fee should be less, maybe between 5-10%

I think if it's higher the selling price would be artificially inflated in order to recover the service fee by the seller. This would especially affect higher priced records who would sell for 10-15% more than what they are worth (which is a lot of money when we're talking about records approaching $100 or over)

A lower fee would be nominal and might not even be embedded into the price of the record by the seller.

Guest Admin

I know that ebay is 5.25 percent, but they also make you pay just to list the item and that 5.25 percent doesn't cover payment processing which we would do. I am glad to get your feedback on this and may end up leaning towards 10 percent, but I just want to figure out the extra work on my end.

If anyone has a good middle ground for handling disputes, I would love to hear your suggestions. That, I think can end up being the biggest headache.

id almost say at as a consignment shop

dudes send you a list of records they want to sell, you pick the ones that will actually move, they send you the records, you grade and post them, and you ship them out upon selling them.. ie so if i want one record from dude A, and one record from dude B i dont have to pay shipping twice... and then once payment clears you paypal them the cash for the record.

i'm not sure about how this retail/wholesale thing works but heres what im thinking... if you could list a record on ebay for a BIN and sell it to someone for less % then what this costs its really not very useful... in fact this is like getting charged 15% for something you could do without an inbetween person. if you know who you're trading is reliable this doesnt really pay...

flood's idea of consignment did, however, seem good

if you're talking wholesale.. most single Lp's are going to the "stores" for 5-7 bucks, and then being sold for 10 -12. where as most full length cds are usually 8-9 bucks and selling for 10-13. so in theory 15% isnt awful, especially when hes pretty much assuring you're getting your cash.. and not to mention he has to cover paypal/credit card fees out of that, as well as you're getting specialized hosting on an established site, that caters only to what you're looking to sell. Sure ebay's bigger... but theres a billion pieces of crap on ebay to wade thru.

Guest Admin

thanks for all of the thoughts on this; it is definitely a big help. My justification on the percentage is that yes, we have a store specifically set up for vinyl and there is less crap to go through. The buyer also gets piece of mine as they know that if the record is never sent, they will get their money back. Plus, with Ebay, you have to pay for the added services like buy it now, gallery photos, listing fees, and you have to pay a number of those fees regardless of whether your item sells. Lastly, we will be handling credit card and paypal transaction fees which makes it that much easier for the seller to do these transactions.

Flood, in response to making it a consignment shop where people send us their vinyl, my concerns are the added amount of work to do this and the fact that the record would be in the hands of the usps or ups one more time which could put wear on the records. If I had to receive and inspect every record someone wanted to sell, it would take so much more time and in turn I would have to ask for a higher percentage.

thanks again for everyone's thoughts on this.

Guest Admin

maybe, we could do 15 percent of records priced between 0 and $40 and anything more, we would charge 10 percent. I don't know, just throwing out numbers there.

• 13 years later...