people bitching about the price of records

flood

If you can't handle the heat, then get the fuck out of the kitchen.

I understand a lot of people prefer the quality of audio vinyl produces over any other format, but if you're not willing to pay the premium the shut the fuck up and move along.

MP3s aren't that expensive. If you just want the songs, BUY THE FUCKING SONGS. You obviously have a computer.

I have no sympathy for broke fuckers that can't afford shit they want. That's life. Step your game up and stop bitching. It doesn't make you punk-rock because you don't want to pay a few extra bones for a record, it makes your a cry-baby.

you are fucking awful.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand a lot of people prefer the quality of audio vinyl produces over any other format, but if you're not willing to pay the premium the shut the fuck up and move along.

MP3s aren't that expensive. If you just want the songs, BUY THE FUCKING SONGS. You obviously have a computer.

I have no sympathy for broke fuckers that can't afford shit they want. That's life. Step your game up and stop bitching. It doesn't make you punk-rock because you don't want to pay a few extra bones for a record, it makes your a cry-baby.

im into it.

Agreed! If you don't like how exspensive something is, don't buy it. People get into business for one thing, MONEY. Not to make winers like all of you happy. If they know they can sell their product at a certain price and people will buy it up, well then good for them, thats business.

We should start a new thread called "I'm waaaayyyy more punk rock than you!"

I call bullshit on this thread. Labels are taking advantage of consumers because they have lost the cash cow that were CDs. CDs were dirt cheap to make and they sold for $10 to $15. Now no one is buying them, but there's still some people buying vinyl. So they're trying to recoup some of the lost profits from CDs and MP3 sales off the backs of record collectors.

Dischord used to sell their LPs for $8 post paid a few years ago. Now they're $11 plus postage. That's still pretty reasonable, but take the new Superchunk reissues. They are $19 plus postage from the label for a single LP. The Modest Mouse reissues are $22 from the label plus postage. The new Sun Kil Moon LP was $30 after shipping from the label!

There is clearly price gouging going on by labels trying to make a quick buck and people have every right to complain about it. This is going to eventually drive people away from buying records the same way they drove people away from buying CDs. I've already cut back on the records I'm purchasing. I'm sure other people are going to drop out of buying entirely.

I back this statement completely!

I feel that the No Idea business model is great in regards to the average consumer and collector. Take the newest Young Livers record for example. You could spend $20 and get the super limited metal jacket version, but you could also spend $8 and get the regular version. They aren't forcing people to buy a super crazy variant in order to own the album, but they are wiling to give that option to those that wish to have it.

In the interest of being transparent, I did buy those Superchunk reissues. Were they expensive? Yes. But I love those two records and made that decision of my own accord. I did not complain about it during the purchase or afterward. I hold myself accountable for the decisions I make with my money, and if I do not like the amount that something is priced at, I pass. It's as simple as that.

Agreed! If you don't like how exspensive something is, don't buy it. People get into business for one thing, MONEY. Not to make winers like all of you happy. If they know they can sell their product at a certain price and people will buy it up, well then good for them, thats business.

Great first post. You have found a home with like-minded individuals here.

Not to make winers like all of you happy.

[image]

I couldn't have said it better myself!

seems to me that if a record label prices their records too high, they're mainly just hurting themselves. if people just want the music, there are plenty of ways to get the mp3s for free. if you sell run-of-the-mill records for $18, that free mp3 becomes a lot more tempting, if for no other reason than to hold you over until that $18 julian plenti record goes on clearance for $3 at amazon in a year or two.

record labels can do what they want with their prices, but consumers will do what they want with their money, too. in the case of that julian plenti record, I haven't bought it out of principle, not because I'm a broke fucker.

ITT: People who work hard for the money they use to spend on records, who are annoyed with the fact that fly by night labels rape them just to get a record they used to like, and 17 year olds who just got their first check from pizza hut that have no problem spending $40 on a limited edition >100 cum colored tom delonge record.

And now Brents a neo nazi.

Would read again.

I call bullshit on this thread. Labels are taking advantage of consumers because they have lost the cash cow that were CDs. CDs were dirt cheap to make and they sold for $10 to $15. Now no one is buying them, but there's still some people buying vinyl. So they're trying to recoup some of the lost profits from CDs and MP3 sales off the backs of record collectors.

Dischord used to sell their LPs for $8 post paid a few years ago. Now they're $11 plus postage. That's still pretty reasonable, but take the new Superchunk reissues. They are $19 plus postage from the label for a single LP. The Modest Mouse reissues are $22 from the label plus postage. The new Sun Kil Moon LP was $30 after shipping from the label!

There is clearly price gouging going on by labels trying to make a quick buck and people have every right to complain about it. This is going to eventually drive people away from buying records the same way they drove people away from buying CDs. I've already cut back on the records I'm purchasing. I'm sure other people are going to drop out of buying entirely.

Nicely said. This isn't about being "punk" or any such bullshit. I have cut way back as well. I love NOFX but just simply passed on that new single. What about that Propagandhi one?? I was very interested in that new Social Distortion album, but again, I didn't feel that price was justified. Every subsequent press of an album gets higher and higher on many of these labels and I would rather just keep my money. I think a lot of people are feeling like this.

ITT: People who work hard for the money they use to spend on records, who are annoyed with the fact that fly by night labels rape them just to get a record they used to like, and 17 year olds who just got their first check from pizza hut that have no problem spending $40 on a limited edition >100 cum colored tom delonge record.

And now Brents a neo nazi.

Would read again.

[image]

Conrad - please find any evidence of Neo-Nazi activity. It's just not there, man.

Also, Martin clearly gets it. His post = totally backed.

This thread just inspired me to jump over to the MB site and order that gold Manson LP. I was on the fence about it earlier this week just because I didn't have the dough and not because of any moral opposition. Just goes to show how far knowing your audience/customer and providing them solid goods at a solid price can take you.

Magic Bullet = Backed

I've cut way back on buying, not just because I'm unemployed but because the prices certain labels are charging have become inuslting. Hydra Head is the worst example of this. Wasn't that new Jesu record like 30 bucks? They were charging close to 20 bucks for that new Torche record which was a single LP in packaging that was basically an envelope. If they started including mp3 downloads with purchase of their LPs it would take some of the sting out but otherwise they really are gouging people.

I applaud labels like No Idea, Dischord, Magic Bullet, Frontier, etc who are charging very fair prices for their vinyl and the Dischord stuff all comes with free digital copies of every vinyl, even the 7"s! 11 bucks for an LP that also includes the digital version for my iPod is a very good deal.

People get into business for one thing, MONEY. Not to make winers like all of you happy. If they know they can sell their product at a certain price and people will buy it up, well then good for them, thats business.

Didn't see this earlier. Fuck.

Call up Ian Mackaye/Var/Eyestone/anyone who runs a decent label and ask them why they got into the music business. I bet you one billion dollars they will not say "Money!". If anyone is running a label with that mindset, they're in the wrong line of work. There are easier ways to get rich by taking advantage of stupid people.

Allllllll I'm saying is that when you put out lots of records, you CAN afford to sell records for 11 bucks.

please explain this logic to me.

If you cant make money off one release, then what makes you think that doing 5 at the same time is profitable????

EXAMPLE: startup label puts out first release and loses 500$. 6 months later they put out their 2nd release and lose $500.

wouldn't logic dictate that if that same label said fuck it, im now putting out releases 3-7 next month at the same time, they would then lose $2500?

If you arent making money or breaking even on one release, there is a good chance you wont with the next. There are labels who have put out one record and it sold and they broke even/made a few bucks on it. And there are other labels (heres a hint for one as an example, who's board are you posting on right now?) who put out a release every single week and just went farther into the hole.

your logic of "the more records you put out the cheaper you can sell them for" makes no sense to me.

I have no sympathy for broke fuckers that can't afford shit they want. That's life. Step your game up and stop bitching. It doesn't make you punk-rock because you don't want to pay a few extra bones for a record, it makes you a cry-baby.

You haven't actually read half the posts in this thread, have you? Did you not see posts from people that run record labels explaining why records don't need to be so expensive? If you're ok with paying more, then fine, you're the one who should chill out and stop complaining about people who believe this "business" should be about music first and foremost.

To quote Antiseen, "Kill the Business..."

First of all, I'm not saying that record prices should be high. I'm just explaining how you can set a lower retail price by putting out more records. I don't understand why I even have to explain this. It seems way too simple to necessitate an explanation!

Say you put out 1 record per year at 500 copies. This costs $2500.

-$5 per record cost to you.

-$10 retail price.

You profit $2500. Of course this doesn't include selling to distros, giving copies to the band, etc etc so it's not quite realistic, but simpler for explaining.

Say you put out 5 records a year.

$12,500 profit.

In the simplest terms, that's how you make more money off of more releases (if they're good releases). But if you put out 5 shitty releases a year, you won't make money (which isn't the point of the current discussion).

Say you do the same as 1), but retail price is $15.

You profit $5000 instead of $2,500.

First of all, I'm not saying that record prices should be high. I'm just explaining how you can set a lower retail price by putting out more records. I don't understand why I even have to explain this. It seems way too simple to necessitate an explanation!

Say you put out 1 record per year at 500 copies. This costs $2500.

-$5 per record cost to you.

-$10 retail price.

You profit $2500. Of course this doesn't include selling to distros, giving copies to the band, etc etc so it's not quite realistic, but simpler for explaining.

Say you put out 5 records a year.

$12,500 profit.

In the simplest terms, that's how you make more money off of more releases (if they're good releases). But if you put out 5 shitty releases a year, you won't make money (which isn't the point of the current discussion).

Say you do the same as 1), but retail price is $15.

You profit $5000 instead of $2,500.

so really, your business model only exists in a perfect world where every release is dirt cheap to press and every release sells out?