Used Bin Finds

OK, I swear I'm NOT trying to outdo everybody here but this is what happened to me in 1990.

I was at work (in Augusta GA) and a guy told me there were a bunch of punk rock records at a used book store.

He told me the only bands he could name were GBH and Flipper.

Well, I figured it would be a bunch of garage sale type records with a few punk rock records mixed in and so I didn't give it much more thought. It just so happens that I was down in that area of town and I looked over and I saw the book store he said these records were at.

So I went over and in and what happened next sounds like I'm making this all up but I swear to God I'm not. I walked up to the old record racks and on the front row was the Flipper record and the GBH record. I walked up and looked behind the Flipper record and what I found was the SS Decontrol "Kids will have their say" record in dead mint condition. The cover looked like it had been pressed yesterday and the record itself didn't even have a spindle mark on the label. This was only the tip of the iceberg. There was EVERY X-Claim record there. There was also most of not all Dischord (ALL early pressings on the HEAVY stock), Dangerhouse, Touch and Go and to many to even name. There were around a 100 LP's that I picked up that day and they were all $3.00 each. This had to be someone’s collection that had either died or went to prison because this was not someone who just bought records; this was someone who collected collectable records. Well, I went to the front to check out and I wasn't believing this was actually going to happen till I gave them my money and I actually walked out of the store with these records. I paid the guy and asked if there we any 7"s with this collection, he stated that there were three large boxes at his house and he'd bring them in tomorrow. To say the least, I came in the next day and what was there would make ANYBODY cry let alone to have the chance to but these things at $1.00 each. Here I found (I bullshit you not) all Dischord, most Touch and Go, most Dangerhouse, and so on and so on. I purchased about 200 7"s like this and still left tons of records behind (bad move).

There wasn't eBay back then and i don't even think I was using the internet back then so I had no idea what these things were all worth so I put in an add in the back of MRR and did a telephone auction and sold about 1/3 of them and gave away the rest to people who would like the freebee with the record they purchased from me. I will tell you it kills me when I now go to eBay or whatever and see how much some of the records were worth of the ones I left behind..... And this is how I started Selfless/Clearview Records...

Missed this story. It's a good one.

Today while visiting my hometown Asbury Park with my fiance, we went to Holdfast (best record shop around) & I found a hidden gem in the new arrivals. As Tall As Lions S/T on black. It's in VG+ condition & the sleeve is NM. The only thing it's missing is the inner sleeve. It was only $7! 

Photo_on_12_27_12_at_9_04_PM_2.jpg

I'll give you $20 for it right now?

Recent find:

Sainte Catherines - Dancing for Decadence on Yellow for $3.90

Older finds:

Dillinger Four - Midwestern Songs and Vs. God original presses for $3.90 each a while ago when they were in the $20+ range

Dillinger Four - Midwestern Songs and Vs. God /700 SH represses for $2.50 each about a month after I sold mine for $30 a piece!

Avail - Front Porch Stories on Red for $17

Thrice - Alchemy Index (x3) $12 each

Brand New - Devil and God on White $10...I left this one there for a fan...DOH!

I always find some great deal where i live. some nice notables were

Freelance Whales- Weathervane $11

Tanpes n' Tapes- The Loon $5

The Smiths- Louder than Bombs $12

Clay Your Hands Say yeah- Some Thunder $5

Elliott Smith- Figure 8 $10

and always find good ,used new vinyl from 6-12 bucks

Today while snooping around A.K.A. music, I found this sweet find for $6. First Press of Maritime Glass Floor.

Good find!  I picked up an Autographed copy at a store in town a couple years ago for $15.

• 2 months later...

my local hastings just started buying/selling used vinyl

I snagged all of these today for $1.99 a piece

descendents - I don't want to grow up

less than jake - goodbye blue & white (grey marble)

propaghandhi - less talk more rock

judas priest - screaming for vengeance, has the shrink wrap & sticker

slipknot - self titled (green)

wilco - being there, I think it was put in there by mistake since the jacket was beat up and didn't have a price tag, the clerk searched it and it came to $24 but she manually overrode the price to $1.99

very happy with this haul  :D haha

That chain has no idea how to price things. That's where I've picked up $200+ LPs for $6 each and then seen standard Michael Jackson's Thriller for $20+

I don't know the price of a tons of records so I might be missing some crazy deals but my Half Priced Books typically just prices everything pretty darn high.

My favorite purchase from there was a Casualties picture disk.  The thing started out listed at $100.  Over the course of a year and half of me going in there it would go down about $5 every week or two.  By the time I bought it for the $5, it had the price labels stacked abit more than an 1/8 inch thick on it. 

Yeah, they seem a bit uninformed as far as records go to be honest. Which can obviously be good for rarer/more valuable records, but bad if you're simply trying to gather the "essentials". I kind of feel like HPB has the same mindset that most middle aged people do when it comes to vinyl. If it was popular at some point, the vinyl must be worth A LOT, and if they've never heard of it, it's probably worth nothing. 

Now I just need to find the HPB that gets an OG Copy of Red Hash by Gary Higgins and puts it on the shelf for 3.99!!!