Your opinion on test pressings?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Test pressings are cool. I have 3, 2 of which I got for free unexpectedly in orders that I placed with the labels that released them.

The other one I bought directly from the label that released it, so I didn't mind paying as much as I did for it. I don't think I would ever buy a test press off of some random person on eBay though.

But in the end, it's (usually) the same exact record as the wide release, and chances are you will never play it. So why not spend that money on more records? Right? Unless you're a really big fan of the band/ label/ release, there's not much point in owning one.

Test pressings are cool. I have 3, 2 of which I got for free unexpectedly in orders that I placed with the labels that released them.

The other one I bought directly from the label that released it, so I didn't mind paying as much as I did for it. I don't think I would ever buy a test press off of some random person on eBay though.

But in the end, it's (usually) the same exact record as the wide release, and chances are you will never play it. So why not spend that money on more records? Right? Unless you're a really big fan of the band/ label/ release, there's not much point in owning one.

I play my test pressings.

I guess I thought most people treated them like the holy grail, guess not. I usually stick with one record for my playing copy if I have multiples of them for whatever reason, so I don't play my test pressings.

But then you'll never know if the record is actually what it's supposed to be!

I guess I thought most people treated them like the holy grail, guess not. I usually stick with one record for my playing copy if I have multiples of them for whatever reason, so I don't play my test pressings.

But then you'll never know if the record is actually what it's supposed to be!

They still have the same little etchings or inscriptions, whatever they're called, on them.

I've got a handful of test presses. mainly i only try to get a hold of them if i already have complete collections of the album/band. i just hate how most people want outrageous prices for them (some labels included) I do appreciate the labels that do test pressing contests though.

i just hate how most people want outrageous prices for them (some labels included) I do appreciate the labels that do test pressing contests though.

This bothers me when a label does 20 tests, just to flip 10 of them. I mean, I know labels need money to move forward with other releases, but I dunno. I've had good luck with several labels/bands and just asking if they'd be down to sell them and only once have I been laughed at with an offer and even a few times, did some screen printing work in trade or paid a few bucks above normal prices...