Best Hip Hop album

Yeah, pretty much everything Kool Keith has done since the first Dr. Octagon record is crap. The Dr. Doom record is OK, but not really great.

As far as the Deltron thing, I've never seen it on vinyl, but it seems like most rap stuff comes out on vinyl. I'd love to have it though. It's pretty much the album that SHOULD have been the Dr. Octagon followup only with a competant rapper instead of Kool Keith. He really went off the deep end at some point.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really into hip-hop, but I don't know if I could pick a "best."

Everyone's mentioning Wu-Tang which is a solid pick with 36 Chambers. Nas's Illmatic probably deserves a nod or two. Many people will point to Ready to Die from B.I.G., but I don't think it's all too hot.

My personal favorites include Genius/GZA Liquid Swords, Be or Like Water for Chocolate from Common. I credit Kanye with getting me into a lot of hip-hop. Actually, the whole Chicago hip-hop scene is my favorite -- Kanye, Common, Lupe, Kid Sister, etc... I know it's kind of a joke album, but The Mouse and the Mask from Danger Doom is AWESOME! MF Doom and his many personalities are great too, I think Madvillian runs circles around Viktor Vaughn though.

yes the deltron is on vinyl(or was) its on 75ark records.

black star is fucking classic and way underrated.

a great record that is under the radar is goodie mobb-soul food. i love this record. beats are awesome,lyrics are awesome..fucking good. plus you get some outkast action(early outkast before the nerd syndrome got them).

fear of a black planet is better than it takes a nation ...to me as well

antipop consortium(which i dont think anyone mentioned)-this is some stranger shit too but well worth having. i cant remember the name of the record i like off hand but it is a yellow cover. its like if radiohead fucked del. haaa and one of the dudes names is bean. nuff said!

murs-this dude i really love. very street yet smart and fun. best mc from living legends( to me).

Paid in Full by Eric B & Rakim is a classic. Props to those who mentioned POS. Saw that fool in San Fran. The whole Doom Tree label is sweet. First Handsome Boy album is pretty badass too. I'd say the first Dr Oct and Deltron 3030 are a toss up. I prefer KK to Del but DTA does beats for both. Maybe Dr Oct is better 'cause it came out earlier but they're both great hip hop albums.

I thing the Rocktagon record is the better of the two, only because it's got some seriously funny shit on it and the other participants kept KK in check. Once he was on his own things got weird. Have you ever seen his DVD? Holy moly! He spends like 10 min. explaining why he drinks plain club soda (it's because he doesn't want to share and no one wants it but him).

There, I saved you having to watch the DVD.

oh man, kool keith played the first time i ever went to a warped tour. it was in calgary, alberta, which is pretty much near the heart of the ranching/farming sector of that province. a lot of people from Saskatchewan and rural Alberta drive in for the show, and they're usually pretty ornery. so keith gets up there, does his first song, and the entire crowd (99.5% white kids who hate rap music) just stands there. they had no idea what was going on. by the time he finishes his second track they're giving him the finger, booing him, telling him to get off the stage.

well it turns out he was the second-last act of the night, pennywise closing the show. but something happened to pennywise's lead singer, he gets held up at the airport, so keith has to keep that shit rolling until he shows up. instead of a normal 30 minute set, he did at least 45 minutes and by the end all the kids were throwing stuff at him and chanting "pennywise!"

i felt so bad for him, because i think i was probably the only person that was really into it out of what, 20-30 thousand people? but he was awesome, he just kept going, no matter what happened.