Just finished watching....

Guest kingbuzzo

It isn't that bad, especially if you are aware of Pasolini's life and politics. It's actually moving in some ways. I just wish it wasn't looked at as just a fucked up movie by most people, even if it is one of Pasolini's lesser films.

It isn't that bad, especially if you are aware of Pasolini's life and politics. It's actually moving in some ways. I just wish it wasn't looked at as just a fucked up movie by most people, even if it is one of Pasolini's lesser films.

The reason that people don't see it as anything more than "just a fucked up movie" is because the movie is a failure as political commentary. It only succeeds as a prurient look at extreme sadism.

Guest kingbuzzo

The reason that people don't see it as anything more than "just a fucked up movie" is because the movie is a failure as political commentary. It only succeeds as a prurient look at extreme sadism.

Why do you say it's a failure? I think it perfectly captures the cruelty of a fascist state. It's interesting to see how the Republic of Salo is portrayed in this film versus Benigni's Life Is Beautiful.