My girlfriend and I broke up and all I got...

...was her copy of Modest Mouse's "It's a Long Drive..." original press.

So this title might be a bit deceptive. We broke up five years ago after she was stone cold drunk and passed out the night my friend died of an OD. I was despondent as we'd known each other since grammar school. I saw our future and broke it off the next day after 6 years together. Maybe it was rash but my life got better.

Sentimentality aside there was a box of stuff that I left for her to retrieve whenever and she never did. She'd picked up everything but this one box for some reason. I finally opened it and mixed in with her Edith Piaf records was this Modest Mouse gem that I've been wanting along with a couple of great Man or Astro-man LPs.

We haven't spoken in five years. I'm happily married with a kid. Do I send an email after all this time to offer her the records or are they mine?

Offer up your advice but I'm leaning that contact is a bad idea due to old wounds.

I just remember a couple days after I broke up with my ex (we dated for only 2.5 years), I was checking the tracking information on a couple records, and it said they had "arrived', yet they weren't at my house. Then I realized the address was to my ex's because I had preordered the goddamn things obviously while we were together, soooo I had to contact her for them.

Thankfully she left them outside in plastic bags to defend the rain.

Whew.

stupid to even make a thread about

Wouldn't go this far, but yeah, keep the records.

I'm keeping them. I too wouldn't go this far but yeah, I've already admitted 5 posts up that even considering contact was fleeting and naive - I was shocked to find them and made a post. Sorry a few folks lost a few minutes of their life but there are far worse threads on this site.

It's a shitty way to get a score of records but I'm not going to make anything worse.