House Buying Tips...

hey man, me too!

get a solicitor/lawyer/whatever to go over all the contract documents and such. always haggle, never pay asking price. look for a fixed interest rate mortgage and go for said mortgage when the rates are at their lowest. search online for reviews about lenders. we found a mob that would lend us what we want but we were unable to find ONE good review for them, so obviously we wont be using them.

go for a 3 bed place so you can devote one room to yer music!

buy a house in magnolia, tomball, or spring if you're on the north side. They are super cheap. i remember a couple years ago, i heart u was gonna buy a house, but then i realized i'm bad with money.

Even pasadena/pearland/stafford, all of those areas are dirt cheap.

also you can find crazy houses on craigslist. true story.

its not as hard as you think it is. I have started the process of looking and getting my finances ready, I called a few mortgage places and got pre-approved over the phone, then it was just out to find a few houses. Much easier then it seems, my advice is just get pre-approved and start looking, people will help you fill in the details as you go.

edit - and try to buy before the end of the year so you can get the 8,000 tax credit that's available for first time home buyers thanks to the stimulus package. Thats 8K you can toss right back into the house for improvements.

the market is so shitty right now, you can probably come in at 25% below asking, with seller concessions and they'll have to take it.

1) don't pay points

2) don't accept anything other than a 30 year fixed... unless you have enough scratch to go for a 15 or 20.. everything else is a little cheaper.. but will eventually bite you on the ass

3) use your own lawyer.. and not the brokers lawyer

4) make sure to get a highly qualified inspector... and inspect the house yourself as well... try to go see the house when its raining to check for leaks.. fill all the sinks/tubs and make sure the water goes down quickly.. bring a small lamp and check all the outlets

the market is so shitty right now, you can probably come in at 25% below asking, with seller concessions and they'll have to take it.

1) don't pay points

2) don't accept anything other than a 30 year fixed... unless you have enough scratch to go for a 15 or 20.. everything else is a little cheaper.. but will eventually bite you on the ass

4) make sure to get a highly qualified inspector... and inspect the house yourself as well... try to go see the house when its raining to check for leaks.. fill all the sinks/tubs and make sure the water goes down quickly.. bring a small lamp and check all the outlets

Good advice. I'd add that you should talk to your lawyer about ways to avoid paying personal mortgage insurance (PMI), which is a total fucking scam. It's basically insurance for the mortgage provider that gives them a cushion in case you don't make your payments. It can add up to $200/month to your payments, and you don't benefit at all. One way to avoid it is to put down at least 10 percent of the purchase price as a down payment. Since this is not always possible, I think there are ways around it. It's definitely worth checking into.

1) don't pay points

Good advice. I'd add that you should talk to your lawyer about ways to avoid paying personal mortgage insurance (PMI), which is a total fucking scam. It's basically insurance for the mortgage provider that gives them a cushion in case you don't make your payments. It can add up to $200/month to your payments, and you don't benefit at all. One way to avoid it is to put down at least 10 percent of the purchase price as a down payment. Since this is not always possible, I think there are ways around it. It's definitely worth checking into.

You should only have to pay PMI if you finance more than 80% of the value of the home, sometimes its 78%.

wish the market was slumping in orange county. its a hell of a lot lower than what it was last year but it still hasn't hit the floor. im not even sure if its going to. love this place, hate the price.

We bought last year, started right around this time last year, and had a place by August to move-in to. We paid $340K for a three bedroom, two-bath place in Costa Mesa, put 3% down, used FHA loan. Ended up needing around 6% of the purchase price in cash on hand for all the closing costs, etc. We did end up convincing the bank (we were dealing with a short sale) to give us 3% towards closing (about 10K).

We have an impound account for our property taxes, with PMI and everything our mortgage payment was $2600/month. We just re-financed to lower our interest rate to 5.5% so our payment should now only be about $2400. Just to give you an idea about Orange County. And if you buy soon you get that nice 8K tax credit.

I just placed an offer for a house myself.. Now it's a 60 day waiting game since it's a "short sale" Fingers crossed.

Fuck that phrase "short sale" it should be known as "obscenely ridiculous way for a bank in a bad position to try to squeeze every drop from the house someone is going to default on" sale. It worked out for my fiance and I but damn was it a hassle. Which actually thought we lost the house until they called and said the higher offer was not good and asked if we wanted it.

Yeah, my realtor told me some horror stories about short sales (the waiting game), so we decided to not even go there. We have looked at some foreclosures but most of them were nice houses that were totally ruined.

Its definitely a gamble but it can be worth if you don't put all your chips in it, you know? We didn't want to deal with them, just REOs and sale-by-owners but in the market you definitely get some steals with shorts. I would say look at them, put in the offers but just keep looking.

Just bought a house in Spring Branch area of Houston in Jan. The wife and I love it here. Where ever you look, go for somewhere that is established (i.e. not some new subdivision that each house looks the same and is on a small as lot... you'll ever never re-sell it, or take a huge hit).

I'm sure you know about HAR.com, but also be sure and check out zipreality.com. I can give you the name and number of the lady we used. Super helpful.

But most importantly, find out what you can afford, and buy something cheaper.

You should only have to pay PMI if you finance more than 80% of the value of the home, sometimes its 78%.

wish the market was slumping in orange county. its a hell of a lot lower than what it was last year but it still hasn't hit the floor. im not even sure if its going to. love this place, hate the price.

We bought last year, started right around this time last year, and had a place by August to move-in to. We paid $340K for a three bedroom, two-bath place in Costa Mesa, put 3% down, used FHA loan. Ended up needing around 6% of the purchase price in cash on hand for all the closing costs, etc. We did end up convincing the bank (we were dealing with a short sale) to give us 3% towards closing (about 10K).

We have an impound account for our property taxes, with PMI and everything our mortgage payment was $2600/month. We just re-financed to lower our interest rate to 5.5% so our payment should now only be about $2400. Just to give you an idea about Orange County. And if you buy soon you get that nice 8K tax credit.

yea unfortunately thats more than what i can spend at this time. the majority of the places i was looking at were short sales which = pain in the ass as you stated earlier. despite having excellent credit and having the cash to provide a hefty down payment i still wasnt able to get a good deal from any of the lenders. what it comes down to is i need to save more and break over that 220k mark and move onto the single family homes without the the insane HOA dues.

yeah you usually need 20% down to avoid PMI... and then in a good deal of cases you need to refi to get rid of it... which screws you again (i worked for a sub prime lender for 5 months before it just starting killing my soul)

to give you an example of how bad the market was?

i bought my house, stated income off the label.. and i was unemployed at the time.

so basically they gave me 200k when i had no job, wasn't looking for a job, and didnt even have to prove the label was making money.