House Buying Tips...

we've been house hunting with my wifes mother, she moving up to the city because her other daughter is having her 2nd child later this year and she's a retired teacher so she's up here all the time anyways... but good lord did we get a deal.  the only thing we had to do with the interior was pull up the carpet (which our dog did for us)... every house we've seen in the same price range (~ $100k) was either outdated from the 60's/70's and would need some major updating in at least 2 areas (appliances, water tank, furnace, floors, roof) , or had some major water in the basement.  so glad we got our house when we did!  

ask them if they saw 2008 coming

I saw 2008 coming, I figured it was going to be the year after 2007. 

In all seriousness though, like thebiglebowski mentioned. A home is a place to live, it is not an investment. I just hope that my home doesn't lose money and keeps up with inflation. That is just a hope. If it doesn't do that then I will still have a home that I can live in that I am happy with the price that I paid for it at the time I paid for it. 

I saw two things that others said above I'll give my input on as well. 

Someone said not to fall in love with a home, and that is somewhat true, but in a way that isn't too bad either. If a home is EVERYTHING that you want in a home (location, price, amenities, size, etc.) without any major issues and you can not find anything that compares to it then it would be silly to buy something else just because you could get a better deal. My wife used to always buy clothes that she wouldn't wear because of how cheap they were. She ended up with a closet full of crap that never got worn. I  convinced her to only buy clothes that she really liked and if they didn't fit the way she wanted or didn't love it to either take it back or don't buy it in the first place. In the end she spends more money per item but about the same amount overall on clothes per year. 

I think the main points in that not to fall in love with a home is that if it is out of your budget or you keep getting red flags everywhere you have to be able to walk away and find something in your budget, and the other point is that that it isn't the only house for sale. 

When we bought our house we were only seriously considering our house. We were willing to pay more than what we ended up paying for it. If things fell through though we were willing to walk away and look again in 6 months. We didn't like anything else in the area and we weren't going to buy a house just because we felt like we had to. 

Here is a bit of negotiating advice, where someone gave pretty crappy advice up above. If you want something AT a price that you think is a reasonable price that you could see them honestly taking, then you start BELOW that price, and then they will counter ad ABOVE that price and then hope to work your way to the price that you think is fair. 

I love this scene

yeah, basic high/low negotiating works like that in any case... they ask for $150, you wont pay more than $140 so you come in at $130 and go from there, chipping away at their asking until you get as close to your price as you can.  few people ask for exactly what they want, they almost always ask for more, which creates that wiggle room for negotiations

When I sold my first house I took the first offer someone put in. It was a fair price, I was happy with it, and I didn't want to mess with a good thing.

Probably not the norm, but it happens occasionally. Kinda like pawn stars. Occasionally comes in to sell something for a fair price and the pawn shop guy just goes "ok, fair price, no need to haggle. I'll write you up over here."

After a few years in the toilet my wife and I can finally move closer to where we work. What's odd is that we have the option of borrowing off the equity in our current house to buy the new one. The current home can rent for only 100 less than our mortgage. I never imagined being a landlord but we would build 14k equity in the house a year renting. That's a killer investment. The question is whether I have the stomach to deal with tenants. My town has a short supply of rentals so finding someone is not the issue. I'm very very torn. Hell I don't even want to move but I can't justify the time lost w my boy during the commute.

So we have been in our house for a bit over 3 years. We talked last night and figured out how much we have spent on renovations so far. $5200 for new HE furnace and AC cousin deal should have been near 10k. Minor kitchen reno and appliances $3000. $7400 on roof (cheap should have been 14k or more) $2000 on blown in insulation and some spray foam work. Built a big shed $3000. April we did windows and a doorwall $13,500. Just finished our basement (few minor details left) $10,000. And who knows how many small things...... All things to look foward too for new home owners!

• 2 weeks later...

My offer got accepted as is.  Oh shit, it's real now.

I just had my home inspection today and all went pretty well there's a few minor things that the sellers need to bring up to code but everything should be a go.

Both excited and nervous, but some of the major things have been done recently.  New roof, furnace and windows.  Theres a lot of little projects like replacing doors and stuff like that that I know I can do.  Working on Habitat for Humanity builds has given me a decent starting point for doing some fixes.  Debating refinishing the hardwood floors myself, or just paying someone to do a recoating on them.

Now I'm trying to add up all the shit I'm going to need to buy. 

Fuck load of tools.  Bedroom set.  Living room set.  Dining room set.  Ugh, but most of this is shit that I should have bought long ago. 

That's great news, sounds like it's only cosmetic work you want done. Just take it one step at a time, you'll be in your home for many years so you have time to do it. The backyard of our new home is pretty bad, I want to redo but I know it won't happen over night. Already cut 3 dead trees down, next is getting rid of all the random building supplies the previous owner left behind, getting the giant tree removed, rebuilding the retaining wall, and deciding whether or not I need the giant metal storage container behind the garage. I should just get chickens and call it a day lol. It's gonna take time and a lot of money, but it's definitely more of a want than a need.

• 2 weeks later...

UUUUUGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH

I was all set to close on Friday, and spend the whole weekend moving.  Had everything signed, all documentation provided.  Seller was making the requested repairs, appraisal was good, all that.  But apparently if you're getting 100% financing through the gov't they have additional safety requirements.  Such as a railing on the side of the front porch.  I have to wait until next week now because of a fucking railing I don't want or need.  I'm going to take it off as soon as I'm actually in the house.  I have to be out of my apt on the 6th.  My cushion is shrinking.  I'm going to drink so much when this is over.

Zephyrson is right, try and stay positive! Anyway you can stay at a friend's or relative's and put your things in storage? I'm sure you don't want to move twice. Perhaps your landlord will be nice and give you a couple more days in your apartment.

I feel like we've been painting nonstop since we moved in, we're having a garage sale and house warming party next month. I'm going to ask guests to give us Home Depot gift cards should they choose to bring anything. I had to swap out a ceiling fan the other day. I definitely would not make a good electrician.

UUUUUGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH

I was all set to close on Friday, and spend the whole weekend moving.  Had everything signed, all documentation provided.  Seller was making the requested repairs, appraisal was good, all that.  But apparently if you're getting 100% financing through the gov't they have additional safety requirements.  Such as a railing on the side of the front porch.  I have to wait until next week now because of a fucking railing I don't want or need.  I'm going to take it off as soon as I'm actually in the house.  I have to be out of my apt on the 6th.  My cushion is shrinking.  I'm going to drink so much when this is over.

Hopefully I don't have to deal with that.  I just got my actual approval from my bank and everything went through so now I'm just stuck waiting til September 26th for closing. 

I hope that everything goes smoothly for you from here on out.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents again...

I bought my house in 2009, everything was fine until...*(cue DUN DUN DUN)...a new code enforcement office started and cited me for my windows not being correct for the timeframe of the house.

The previous owner made these changes without permits, but never disclosed that in any of the paperwork. I bought it in a short sale, as is, from the bank and it will basically end up costing the same amount to make the changes and to sue the city/owner/etc

So my advice is, be careful and if there are ANY changes that were done, check to see if they need a permit. Actually, I would try to get the code officer for your city to come out and check everything out if possible. You don't want these surprises popping up

No, I don't have HOA luckily. It's the City's itself code Enforcement. I get random shit from them like keeping my lawn mowed (grass wasn't long at all, but had a couple of weeds..literally...2 near the front) and things like that. I guess they picked our street to "look" at. My neighbor had to remove his privacy screen and bench swing from his porch.