How To Pack A Record

jhulud

I've got 4 12"s and a 7" from Anti-Flag records last week. They're quite a big (punk) band and have their own label. Got shipped in a cardboard box with some bubblewrap, all 4 vinyl's stacked and sealed. Everything was packaged properly but I think due to the stacking of the records they had a bit too much space to move around. Hence why I got a dent in one of the vinyl. Mailed them and will see what happens, because I've payed $28.30 ish for transport (most expensive shipment). Hope I'll get a refund or something.

But well. Anyone got tips on how to ship more records in 1 box? (Probably should all be shipped seperatly, I'm assuming?)

• 2 weeks later...
I've got 4 12"s and a 7" from Anti-Flag records last week. They're quite a big (punk) band and have their own label. Got shipped in a cardboard box with some bubblewrap, all 4 vinyl's stacked and sealed. Everything was packaged properly but I think due to the stacking of the records they had a bit too much space to move around. Hence why I got a dent in one of the vinyl. Mailed them and will see what happens, because I've payed $28.30 ish for transport (most expensive shipment). Hope I'll get a refund or something.

But well. Anyone got tips on how to ship more records in 1 box? (Probably should all be shipped seperatly, I'm assuming?)

It may require more than just a basic LP mailer, but it's very feasible to use a single box and just separate it using pieces of cardboard. If you put the LPs together and place the cardboard between them and the 7"s all it would take is a little paper padding and/or bubble wrap on the sides of the 7"s to keep them from rolling around.

Most labels have the boxes from the record pressing plants that work well for sending out odd combinations of records or a large stack of LPs.

I've gotten LPs shipped in medium-size pizza boxes before, but it has been a long time. Luckily, the only times that ever happened, the LPs were pretty old, not in great condition, and were dirt cheap anyway. I'd be pissed too if I paid more than a couple bucks for a record and it came shipped in a pizza box.

I've gotten LPs shipped in medium-size pizza boxes before, but it has been a long time. Luckily, the only times that ever happened, the LPs were pretty old, not in great condition, and were dirt cheap anyway. I'd be pissed too if I paid more than a couple bucks for a record and it came shipped in a pizza box.

I've actually received a record in a pizza box from ebay also, but at least the seller treated it like a LP mailer and put cardboard and bubble wrap to prevent movement/damage.

I'd say that's miles ahead two pieces of cardboard taped together, or the dreaded bubble mailer.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got a lot of i think 9 or 10 LP's off ebay, the sender put 5 lp's in one plastic sleeve (vinyl out of the jackets) and 5 in another, he put cardboard between them as well as on top/bottom of the stack, then put everything in an lp mailer.... it all seemed pretty good to me, no damage or anything, there wasn't much room for the lp's to move around.

Excellent packaging! That is top-notch.

I usually use two Cardboard inserts and skip the bubble wrap. However, when I'm shipping a box set I secure it with only bubble wrap and put it in a box with some newspaper so it won't shift around!

As far as shipping more than one record in a box, I would just make sure to put cardboard inserts in between each record and use blue tape or something to make sure the inserts all stay in place. Just make sure the record don't move around at all!

I definitely use WAY too much packaging tape on the outside of the mailer but I figure that's better than too little ;)

Excellent packaging! That is top-notch.

I usually use two Cardboard inserts and skip the bubble wrap. However, when I'm shipping a box set I secure it with only bubble wrap and put it in a box with some newspaper so it won't shift around!

As far as shipping more than one record in a box, I would just make sure to put cardboard inserts in between each record and use blue tape or something to make sure the inserts all stay in place. Just make sure the record don't move around at all!

I definitely use WAY too much packaging tape on the outside of the mailer but I figure that's better than too little ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

[media=]

[/media]

Here's a good way to package them. Maybe you guys have seen this already but for those who haven't, thought you might like this.

I've just started to get into selling my records nationally so I've been looking at the best ways they should be packaged and shipped. This thread was extremely helpful. Also, I've noticed you guys saying that you have recieved poorly packaged, to say the least, vinyl from "bigger" businesses. I'll be recieving the new Miss May I album here pretty soon and im interested to see how how well, or not so well, the vinyl will be packaged.

Wish me luck lol :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I received a gatefold LP in the mail yesterday packed this way--purchased in VG condition (a few light dings), but received it in much lower condition because it was packed/shipped this way. The vinyl/sleeve was taken out of the sleeve and placed on top with a cardboard spacer in between, causing the gatefold sleeve to warp in a drastic way. Working on a partial refund on this one; I'd rather have risked other detriment (the insert was split when I received it anyway). The old fashioned way of shipping vinyl has always worked just fine for me, so that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.