How To Pack A Record

jhulud

Not sure what you mean.

I reuse mailers.

I do this.

Remove record from jacket, place everything in a sealable plastic sleeve. Tape everything to a sheet of card board. Tape another sheet of cardboard on the other side. Place in mailer and tape to center. Nothing will slide around.

Then tape cardboard over all four corners to prevent corner damage.

I'm saying, if you put 2 stiffeners, to double reinforce everything... do you cross them to each others grains? Or to the LP mailers grain? Obv at least 1 of the stiffeners has to be 90 degrees to the mailer. What about the other one... there are 2 options here. Am I the only one who has ever thought of this?

And for the reuse thing I was answering people who were asking where the cheapest place to buy them is.

Like, if you look at a mailer and a cardboard stiffener... look at the lines in the cardboard... they go in one direction... hehe one direction... so anyway yeah you are supposed to cross the stiffener's grain to the mailer's grain because cardboard is easy to fold along the grain. So you double up, cross-grained, so it is less likely to be able to fold.

Make the sandwich with the stiffeners, both same grain, then cross grain to mailer. I hate when there is tape all over my polybags.

THANK YOU! I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO HAS PONDERED THIS!

and yes I completely agree, it's ridiculous when people go tape-happy.

Although, I usually tape all the way around the edges of the mailer. But for the reason that, in case you are sending somewhere snowy/sandy so you don't get little bits of dirt or whatever in the perforation holes, and just to reinforce it.

don't even know what a grain is. All I know is that my method is the best and if everyone used it, there would be no more damaged corners or seam splits.

It's like wood grain, same basic idea. Take a piece of cardboard, examine it. See those lines? The direction the lines go in is the 'grain'. If you are not crossing grain to double reinforce, then your method is flawed, the cardboard is structurally weak along the grain.

If you can't see the grain lines, take a piece and try folding it (use a scrap piece, not something you will be using to mail) ...it will naturally resist folding across the grain, but will be very, very easy to fold along the grain, in fact it will fold in a perfectly straight line, because it will follow the grain.

It's like if you had grain going vertically on the mailer: ||

then you would put the stiffener's grain going horizontally: =

together you would get something like this: #

as if they were interwoven

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's like wood grain, same basic idea. Take a piece of cardboard, examine it. See those lines? The direction the lines go in is the 'grain'. If you are not crossing grain to double reinforce, then your method is flawed, the cardboard is structurally weak along the grain.

If you can't see the grain lines, take a piece and try folding it (use a scrap piece, not something you will be using to mail) ...it will naturally resist folding across the grain, but will be very, very easy to fold along the grain, in fact it will fold in a perfectly straight line, because it will follow the grain.

then you would put the stiffener's grain going horizontally: =

So subtle, but clever. I like it.

Have there been any tests to show statistical significance? I might play around with this if I get some extra mailers.

then you would put the stiffener's grain going horizontally: =

I always go with two inner stiffeners and put their threads parallel. This way they are cross grained on both sides of the mailer. And yes, I am obsessed with this too.

What's your favorite way to receive a 7" record? Best advice for packaging one?

I only have standard 12" record mailers around the house.

My favorite way to receive them is in a 12" mailer, with the 7" taped in place on a stiffener. I take an old 12" poly sleeve and put the 7" in there, fold the excess over, and tape it right on the center of the stiffener. Then a single bubble wrap insert. Not the most cost effective way to send, but that's certainly how I like to receive them.

My favorite way to receive them is in a 12" mailer, with the 7" taped in place on a stiffener. I take an old 12" poly sleeve and put the 7" in there, fold the excess over, and tape it right on the center of the stiffener. Then a single bubble wrap insert. Not the most cost effective way to send, but that's certainly how I like to receive them.

I just got a 7" today that was just tossed into a 12" mailer, loose, rattling around, with no poly bag or anything. The record ripped an inch-long tear in the side of the pic sleeve from being shaken around. AWESOME.

• 1 month later...

I bought an original copy of Manic Street Preacher Everything Must Go on vinyl once and the seller (ebay) sent it to me wrapped in newspaper and just taped where the things overlapped. It arrived on a wet day and was ruined. The seller said I was over reacting when I gave him both barrels in the email complaint which followed. Death of vinyl by negligence should be punishable by punching in the throat.

• 1 month later...

So today I received two records I bought off eBay, was a bit suspect as it felt a bit thin and was wrapped in the plastic packaging of a duvet (I think you call them comforters? - basically this was just a plastic carrier bag).

Opened it, the records were wrapped in a thin layer of TOILET PAPER, with not even a cardboard stiffener. No protection whatsoever, it's a miracle there's only a few corner dings on them both, although they're both kinda sticky too which is horrible. I mean i've received records in bubble mailers before that have been damaged but this is almost insulting, they charged £1 more than the actual postage which is fair enough to cover costs, but they'd spent about a penny worth of equipment in this instance.

What would people recommend I write in a message to them? I don't wanna give them an onslaught because it's an individual seller so they probably don't have second copies to replace these with and i'd like to keep the records, but ideally i'd like to get a few £ back because the dings have devalued the records..

• 2 weeks later...

I am shipping a double 10" record tomorrow morning. Any packaging advice? I have several standard record mailers, lots of cardboard, and some thin bubble sheets. Should I take the records out to prevent seam splits? If I do take them out, how should I pack them?

Thanks for the advice.

Cut two pieces of cardboard about half inch bigger on each side.

Put the record in their inner sleeves, out of the jacket. Sandwich it between the pieces of card board, and tape each edge of the cardboard.

It will take any bumps the record may have, and it's the best you can do

• 2 weeks later...