How To Pack A Record

jhulud

$30.99 for 25 of these mailers PLUS 50 cardboard square stiffeners PLUS free shipping.  I bought a bundle recently and they work great.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151686352078?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thanks, Bake.  I was checking out the more conventional mailers, too.  Might be most cost effective to go that route.

• 1 month later...

I have been using these Amazon-style mailers recently.  They are a bit tight and you need to place the record in a certain position to avoid the over-snugness, which is initially annoying, but they do a great job of preventing corner dings because of their overhanging edges.

They are 25 mailers for $24 which is cheaper than most other options.  If you buy them and want help with how to better fit the records inside, PM me.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody have any suggestions for ensuring that printed inner sleeves don't get damaged or seam splits during shipping?

I've got a Red Forest ITTCT record I'm selling and I don't want the dude to end up with a seam split...

So, my question (which is probably dumb) is have any of you guys ever slipped a loose-fitting paperclip on the edge of a printed inner sleeve to keep the vinyl from shifting around in transit? Or do you think just packaging it with enough pressure from both sides would be enough?

I'm always just trying to think of ways to protect corners and sleeves and jackets from getting split open.

Anybody have any suggestions for ensuring that printed inner sleeves don't get damaged or seam splits during shipping?

I've got a Red Forest ITTCT record I'm selling and I don't want the dude to end up with a seam split...

So, my question (which is probably dumb) is have any of you guys ever slipped a loose-fitting paperclip on the edge of a printed inner sleeve to keep the vinyl from shifting around in transit? Or do you think just packaging it with enough pressure from both sides would be enough?

I'm always just trying to think of ways to protect corners and sleeves and jackets from getting split open.

Could put the records in generic white slips, and keep the printed sleeves inside the jacket. Ship the generic sleeved records outside of the jacket and voila.

Dont ship the records inside the printed sleeves. Place them in replacement generic/rice paper/MoFi inner sleeves and store them outside the jacket. Original printed inner sleeves can go inside the jacket. For many, this is a basic part of shipping used records- LP always in a replacement sleeve outside of jacket.

Could put the records in generic white slips, and keep the printed sleeves inside the jacket. Ship the generic sleeved records outside of the jacket and voila.

Yeah no i know that, but I was just curious if anybody had come up with any McGuyver-type tricks to use when you don't have any extra paper sleeves haha

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

wow check out Sound Stage Direct's slideshows - nice size boxes with corner/side space or cardboard barrier. I might do more bubble wrap on the multiples, like a square in between each LP before wrapping them in all bubble wrap, but still, I would love to get all my records like this. We'll see how the Mogwai: Central Belters arrives....

http://www.soundstagedirect.com/vinyl-record-packaging.shtml?utm_source=bronto&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Image+-+CLICK+HERE+TO+SEE+HOW+WE+PACK+YOUR+RECORDS&utm_content=Welcome+to+SoundStageDirect.com!&utm_campaign=Welcome+Message+Post+Purchase+2015+Template

• 6 months later...
On May 31, 2016 at 9:27 PM, the munt said:

Pics not working for me,

Would love to see it though, anyone have the source of the first post images? 

They appear to be broken.

Here's a guide from Discogs (with pics)

https://blog.discogs.com/ship-it-a-guide-for-proper-packaging-of-lp-s/

A key thing is to ship the record outside of it's jacket preventing seam splits in transit. When your all packed up, nothing should move around inside the mailer when you shake it a bit.

Also, forget what that article says about using an LP mailer once and not re-using it.  As long as it's in good shape just turn it inside out and use the other side.  Just never use bubble mailers to ship vinyl!

Like the article shows, your good with a square piece of cardboard on one side and a square piece of bubble wrap on the other.  I've used two pieces of cardboard (one on each side) when I ran out of bubble wrap.

Lastly, save some LP mailers, cardboard squares and bubble wrap.  I keep a small stash and have never had to dip into my own money to buy those supplies for shipping records!  Save the smaller 7" mailers too which come in handy.  If you need to ship a 7" and only have LP mailers, just use another cardboard square and secure it to it with tape (inside a poly sleeve!!).

:D

• 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 6 months later...

I really wish bands and labels read this thread. The records I’ve received from virtually every record shop outside of Bullmoose have been packed poorly. I’ve never received as many damaged records as I have this past year. Why have they stopped using packing materials?  It’s really frustrating.

• 11 months later...