How To Pack A Record

jhulud

As a label, you'd be suprised how many people complain about recieving a record outside of the jacket. They think it's used or something. I quit shipping outside of the jacket unless someone specifies, or if I know them.

Exactly this. If it is a sealed LP I advise that if you want it shipped outside of the mailer, to leave it in the notes.

sometimes using cardboard fillers can add a bit to shipping, (esp. overseas), and the whole point of using cardboard/bubble wrap is to make it so the record doesn't slip around in the mailer.

Both ways work.

Also this.

I use 1 and 1 or 2 pieces of bubble wrap. Depends on the weight of the record.

Anyone here know the weight for shipping one LP, in the proper manner as shown in this thread ? I have to ship a record to Montreal Canada from the United States (Oregon), and I've been told I can ship one LP there for 6.00 via first class through the United States Post Office. Can anyone confirm or deny this for me ?

thank you

sickteen

Anyone here know the weight for shipping one LP, in the proper manner as shown in this thread ? I have to ship a record to Montreal Canada from the United States (Oregon), and I've been told I can ship one LP there for 6.00 via first class through the United States Post Office. Can anyone confirm or deny this for me ?

thank you

sickteen

yeah - about $6 for a single lp first class from us to canada

i also like to tape the edges and corners to help protect from water/snow

I did for a while, until I realized that unless you're covering the entire thing in tape, it's pretty pointless. It's a cardboard mailer - water will soak right through it whether you tape the corners or not.

I have yet to have to mail an LP but for whenever I do I've considered wrapping LPs in saran/plastic wrap for this purpose before the bubble wrap/cardboard. I'm pretty sure it works a lot better than trying to save them from the elements with tape.

• 2 weeks later...
Had to show this to my roomie. He shipped a OOP Portugal. - Waiter! You Vultures in a manilla envelope.....he was surprised when it came back all beat up.

Is he retarded?

I mean, I can understand not being familiar with the ins and outs of proper record packing, but doesn't he understand the fact that things get stacked in transit?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
As a label, you'd be suprised how many people complain about recieving a record outside of the jacket. They think it's used or something. I quit shipping outside of the jacket unless someone specifies, or if I know them.

I received a package today from xtra mile that was shipped in the jacket and this is what happened. the record was also loose in the jacket and not inside of a sleeve.

they offered to replace the jacket, but still a pain in the butt.

• 3 weeks later...