How To Pack A Record

jhulud

• 3 weeks later...

Also, if labels could spend less time throwing stickers/random shit in their packaging and more time actually packaging their records correctly, that would be great. Ordered a record and tape from Driftwood Records and the LP had no shrink wrap or sleeve and the packaging had no padding or bubble wrap, so I got a majorly bent corner and other wear on the edges. On the plus side there was a copy if the constitution in it, so I guess I can consult that to figure out if I have a cause of action.

Also, if labels could spend less time throwing stickers/random shit in their packaging and more time actually packaging their records correctly, that would be great. Ordered a record and tape from Driftwood Records and the LP had no shrink wrap or sleeve and the packaging had no padding or bubble wrap, so I got a majorly bent corner and other wear on the edges. On the plus side there was a copy if the constitution in it, so I guess I can consult that to figure out if I have a cause of action.

Driftwood uses no shrink or sleeves. They're a literal one to sometimes two person operation. Be glad you got anything extra at all and they didn't use a bubble mailer or a pizza box.

• 4 weeks later...

I'll ask because I'm not sure.

I'm about to package a 2LP and a regular LP. How should I order them in the mailer?

Empty gatefold, empty....uhh sleeve idk, vinyl, vinyl, vinyl?

Never shipped a gatefold and don't want it to have seam splits.

I would do: vinyl, empty gatefold, vinyl, empty sleeve, vinyl. Bubble wrap around all of that, then cardboard on both sides.

Just had this demand from someone on Discogs:

Please ship the album with the vinylz in generic paper sleeves outside of any printed inners and outer sleeves with cardboard dividers in between the records and printed media to prevent in-printing or tears from movement friction during shipping. In addition please use a small amount of bubble wrap to cushion the entire product in its shipping package to prevent other damage.

I admit that the extra 'S' that this board may not let me show (I've replaced it with a Z) annoyed me straight away, but I found this pretty rude. Also, has anyone else had someone insist on the seller using a generic sleeve in case the bespoke one gets damaged? I don't have any spare, so he's not getting his wish. The extra cardboard will mean the shipping price goes up.

And what the hell's 'in-printing'?

Is that rude? I do that all the time on Discogs. Not to that extent, I usually just ask to ship the records outside of the sleeve because I'd rather seem rude to some random and get a record I want in great shape then allow it to come in shitty shape! Though I happen to buy a lot of records from people who have no feedback so it's hard to gauge whether or not they will do it without me asking or not.

That is why I always send the customer a detailed email telling them exactly how I want them to behave and what questions I will allow.

All kidding aside, I appreciate when a buyer lets me know how they want the record packed. Usually, they are just repeating how I already pack, since I always ship in a proper mailer with extra squares and wrap. I'd rather hear it now than get a complaint later, anyway. It can also be a sign of a buyer who is savvy and will appreciate the extra effort I put in packing, and not some dumbo new collector who expects a perfect NM copy in a metal mailer even though the listing says cover VG+.

Be secure enough as a person to not let three sentences of reasonable packing instructions hurt you.

• 2 weeks later...

This is my script:

"Could you kindly ship the vinyl in generic paper inner sleeves (packed outside the jacket and any printed inner sleeves) to prevent seam splits in transit? If possible, please pack the jacket, vinyl and sleeves together in a plastic outer sleeve."

Not too long, and covers the main points. Might get more detailed in the $100+ range.

I think it's perfectly appropriate to provide instructions like this, given that sellers sometimes just don't know better/care (which I have to assume is the case unless I've dealt with them before). I also pack this way when I sell, so have no problem asking for it as a buyer.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

you need to use record mailers, not any other type of box.

I've improvised mailers by cutting boxes into a 12x24 rectangle and folding it around the record to cover all of the sides and protect it. I usually do this with 2 pannels and then 2 12x12 pieces to keep it flat. Mailers are ideal but this works in a pinch.

• 5 weeks later...

Anyone have any experience with these mailers?

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-7979-album-mailer-folder-ships-1-or-2-records.aspx

I'm gearing up to unload a bunch of my collection, and these seem close to the ones amazon uses (which i think do a pretty good job protecting the sleeve / record.  Wondering if anyone has first-hand experience with them.

Anyone have any experience with these mailers?

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-7979-album-mailer-folder-ships-1-or-2-records.aspx

I'm gearing up to unload a bunch of my collection, and these seem close to the ones amazon uses (which i think do a pretty good job protecting the sleeve / record.  Wondering if anyone has first-hand experience with them.

$30.99 for 25 of these mailers PLUS 50 cardboard square stiffeners PLUS free shipping.  I bought a bundle recently and they work great.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151686352078?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT