Toronto Ontario Record Stores

There's also Good Music that opened not too long ago in the Black Market building downstairs on Queen St. Almost all used records and some special orders, fairly good prices and worth checking out.

Tonality Records recently opened in Roncesville. I checked it out, run by an 18 year old kid who focuses on indie labels, not a whole lot to browse through. I was interested in Demon Days and some Unkle stuff I knew he had, but the prices were basically high end Discogs/eBay prices. I'd say not worth anyone's time to visit unless you happen to be in the neighbourhood.

A good resource that seems to keep getting updated in Vinyl Hub: http://www.vinylhub.com/record-stores/Toronto-ON-Canada

There are some stores there that I have not checked out and need to. I add them all to my Google Maps and if I'm ever in the neighbourhood like to stop in.

I really like the new Sonic Boom location. A nice walking distance to Rotate This. I hit both stores on Friday and found quite a few records including a Rise Against - Siren Songs 1st press for $15 so that made my day!

I guess my issue with Sonic Boom's new location is that I'm not often in that area in the evening, whereas I have friends who live just west of the Annex and used to go there before/after meeting them. As well, I live on the Bloor subway line, so anything along there is way easier to get to. I do like that it's close to Rotate, but I guess my issue is that I'm just less frequently in that area. They do have a good selection and I think the new building is really nice.

I think the hard part in general in a city like Toronto is that there are a lot of music fans, a lot of people who collect/are interested in music, and a lot of people with money (because this city has gotten insanely expensive). It makes it so that there aren't really the type of stores that you'll find $100 records for $5. If anything, I would say Rotate is the store that I've most recently scored good deals on records priced well below Discogs values.

And unrelated to any of this, I would like to pay homage/recognize my absolute favourite defunct record stores in the city: Sonic Temple, which was in North York and had the best $5 bin of records ever. I built the foundation of my collection from them in my teenage years; and Record Peddler, which is now the burned down space on Queen near Bathurst (it closed long before that), which was the only store in Toronto in the late 90s that had a ska section (but also, maybe that's why they didn't last...).

I find most stores now just look up the releases they get and price them at the median Discogs selling price and wait. I've completely lost interest in attending those stores, because if there is anything I want, I can just buy it online without leaving the house (and wait for the sales under the median selling price). I live 30 seconds from June Records and rarely bother to go in because of the prices. They have one record I really want, but it's priced at the same price as all the Discogs listings that never sell online and it's been sitting there for over 6 months.

I suppose that's the market price and is fair, but it takes the joy out of hunting for records I'm looking for, as I'm just going to pay the same price as I would online. Might as well stay home.

I guess my issue with Sonic Boom's new location is that I'm not often in that area in the evening, whereas I have friends who live just west of the Annex and used to go there before/after meeting them. As well, I live on the Bloor subway line, so anything along there is way easier to get to. I do like that it's close to Rotate, but I guess my issue is that I'm just less frequently in that area. They do have a good selection and I think the new building is really nice.

I think the hard part in general in a city like Toronto is that there are a lot of music fans, a lot of people who collect/are interested in music, and a lot of people with money (because this city has gotten insanely expensive). It makes it so that there aren't really the type of stores that you'll find $100 records for $5. If anything, I would say Rotate is the store that I've most recently scored good deals on records priced well below Discogs values.

And unrelated to any of this, I would like to pay homage/recognize my absolute favourite defunct record stores in the city: Sonic Temple, which was in North York and had the best $5 bin of records ever. I built the foundation of my collection from them in my teenage years; and Record Peddler, which is now the burned down space on Queen near Bathurst (it closed long before that), which was the only store in Toronto in the late 90s that had a ska section (but also, maybe that's why they didn't last...).

Yeah, it's rare to find hidden gems in this city anymore. I agree that Rotate generally has the best deals and have found more hidden gems there than anywhere else, but that has become less of an occurrence in recent years. 

Sonic Temple was a cool place and I made a point to visit a few times whenever I was in the area. Someone should open another record shop in that area to fill the void!

I find most stores now just look up the releases they get and price them at the median Discogs selling price and wait. I've completely lost interest in attending those stores, because if there is anything I want, I can just buy it online without leaving the house (and wait for the sales under the median selling price). I live 30 seconds from June Records and rarely bother to go in because of the prices. They have one record I really want, but it's priced at the same price as all the Discogs listings that never sell online and it's been sitting there for over 6 months.

I suppose that's the market price and is fair, but it takes the joy out of hunting for records I'm looking for, as I'm just going to pay the same price as I would online. Might as well stay home.

I would have to reluctantly agree with this. While I think it's great that there's so many record stores opening up now, it's also more difficult to justify buying stuff in them. I grew up in the east-end where there wasn't much in terms of record stores (let alone decent ones), so I always had to trek over on the 501 streetcar to Rotate or Kops. 

I was excited that a record store finally opened in my area (Queen/Broadview), but while the selection is above average, the prices make it difficult for me to support them. 

• 11 months later...

Some sad news as Vortex Records at Yonge/Eglinton is closing. This was the first store I ever bought vinyl records from while in still in high school down the road. Sad to see it close, but at least it isn't due to gentrification. If you've never been there, go visit one of the hidden jewels left in this city before it closes!

http://www.blogto.com/music/2015/12/vortex_records_to_close_after_nearly_40_years/

Some sad news as Vortex Records at Yonge/Eglinton is closing. This was the first store I ever bought vinyl records from while in still in high school down the road. Sad to see it close, but at least it isn't due to gentrification. If you've never been there, go visit one of the hidden jewels left in this city before it closes!

http://www.blogto.com/music/2015/12/vortex_records_to_close_after_nearly_40_years/

No! I love that store! I've found some crazy rare stuff there!

BOOO! I bet it's hard to keep up with lease rates and development costs around that area.

I've heard some great stories about that place... one being that Prince stopped off at the store once, asked for all the copies of his records (which were all boots) and just walked out with them. Great stuff. 

• 1 month later...

This bump reminds me that I saw Rotate This is moving (again). They're going up to Dundas & Ossington around the end of February, with a big sale planned in advance.

On a separate note, I visited Tiny Record Shop for the first time when I was home for Christmas. Truly one of the best indie sections I've ever flipped through. Unfortunately, the prices were laughable, even with my US$.

It's that kind of pricing that drives people away from record stores and towards Discogs, etc.--if you're paying the same prices, might as well do it more comfortably. Not that TRS is alone in this (I'm looking at you, Sonic Boom wall).

This bump reminds me that I saw Rotate This is moving (again). They're going up to Dundas & Ossington around the end of February, with a big sale planned in advance.

On a separate note, I visited Tiny Record Shop for the first time when I was home for Christmas. Truly one of the best indie sections I've ever flipped through. Unfortunately, the prices were laughable, even with my US$.

It's that kind of pricing that drives people away from record stores and towards Discogs, etc.--if you're paying the same prices, might as well do it more comfortably. Not that TRS is alone in this (I'm looking at you, Sonic Boom wall).

I'm keeping my eye out for that sale at Rotate. They have over the past couple of years had some random bins with some really decent finds - some pretty fun stuff for under $5. And their inventory is so all over the place, I'm optimistic that there will be some good stuff in there.

If any GTA folk are ever up near Gravenhurst, I heartily recommend going to Curries Music on the main strip. It's an old movie theatre turned into a vintage musical instrument, antique, and record store. And the prices were far better on used stuff than anything I've seen in Toronto over the last year or so. A bunch of newish stuff sold used for $10, some great vintage classics for $2-4 in very good shape. None of this $5 for a G+ record crap, or $35 for a record that has never gone for more than $20 on Discogs (which is what TRS is doing - I get that rent isn't cheap, but there comes a point where the cost is just too high to rationalize buying anything).

I straight up avoid TRS because I know I'll find a couple 'must haves' and my bank account will end up suffering for it. You are not the first person, and probably won't be the last to say to me that they have the worst markups in TO. SB's wall is a close second. I guess you at least know the used ratings at TRS are accurate... I can't say the same for SB. 

We opened up an srcvinyl brick and mortar store in Toronto back in November. It is located in Parkdale at Queen and Roncesvalles. We have a pretty good selection there, usually between 1,000-2,000 titles. Full details for this location is here:

1696 Queen St West (Located inside the Playdead Store)
Toronto On

Our prices are really good. SRCVinyl titles for the most part are the same price as on our site but in Canadian dollars. The rest of the stuff is on par with Amazon or what is listed on our website converted to Canadian dollar.

We opened up an srcvinyl brick and mortar store in Toronto back in November. It is located in Parkdale at Queen and Roncesvalles. We have a pretty good selection there, usually between 1,000-2,000 titles. Full details for this location is here:

https://www.facebook.com/srcvinylto/

Toronto On

Our prices are really good. SRCVinyl titles for the most part are the same price as on our site but in Canadian dollars. The rest of the stuff is on par with Amazon or what is listed on our website converted to Canadian dollar.

Will those blink titles be in that store? Specifically the limited editions.

I'm keeping my eye out for that sale at Rotate. They have over the past couple of years had some random bins with some really decent finds - some pretty fun stuff for under $5. And their inventory is so all over the place, I'm optimistic that there will be some good stuff in there.

If any GTA folk are ever up near Gravenhurst, I heartily recommend going to Curries Music on the main strip. It's an old movie theatre turned into a vintage musical instrument, antique, and record store. And the prices were far better on used stuff than anything I've seen in Toronto over the last year or so. A bunch of newish stuff sold used for $10, some great vintage classics for $2-4 in very good shape. None of this $5 for a G+ record crap, or $35 for a record that has never gone for more than $20 on Discogs (which is what TRS is doing - I get that rent isn't cheap, but there comes a point where the cost is just too high to rationalize buying anything).

The Curries are great!  I just had my guitars set up by Andrew. I have purchased tons of stuff from them, they price everything fairly and to sell.

I actually find Cosmos really expensive compared to Rotate This, Play De Record or say Kops.  

These stores can suck my dick.

Totally useless for psych,prog, fusion and other music that counts.

Discovery  is the only one that actually has the entire lp inventory on-line.

Best record store for prog mastermen with little cash is OUTSIDE of Toronto.

Baggs is not saying what cos Baggs is a true digger and does not need your competition.

(If however you are after lame McCartney & Nickkleback boners, then I lurv you cos your no threat at all.)

Check out Circus Books in Cabbage - Greektown Danforth.

I saw second Ramatam lp there and David Bedford  rarity & Midsummer's Night Dream by Merchants of Dream.

Discovery is the only one that actually has the entire lp inventory on-line.

Baggs is not saying what cos Baggs is a true digger and does not need your competition.

(If however you are after lame McCartney & Nickkleback boners, then I lurv you cos your no threat at all.)

I saw second Ramatam lp there and David Bedford rarity & Midsummer's Night Dream by Merchants of Dream.

Do you refer to yourself in the third person when in public as well?

Discovery  is the only one that actually has the entire lp inventory on-line.

I saw second Ramatam lp there and David Bedford  rarity & Midsummer's Night Dream by Merchants of Dream.

You're an idiot.

Discovery is the only one that actually has the entire lp inventory on-line.

I saw second Ramatam lp there and David Bedford rarity & Midsummer's Night Dream by Merchants of Dream.

Baggs seems to have a lot of Baggs. Might need to use those true digging skills to find some testes.

Will those blink titles be in that store? Specifically the limited editions.

Yes! If you email [email protected] we can get you a special order put through so your copies are reserved. We do not charge you until you pick up so you are able to order all four titles. Just send your name, that you want to pick up at the TORONTO store which items you want and phone number so we can call when they are in stock.

Toronto On

I was in Niagara Falls last weekend and stopped in to SRC for the first time - was pleasantly surprised how reasonable the prices were.

Toronto On

Definitely going to check this out! Always interested in seeing the selection at new stores.