SXSW 2011

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most shows have a limited number of regular-admission spots available, but those with badges and wristbands get priority (kinda like how at the Fest, you can buy individual admission to most shows but there's only a limited amount of single-show tickets available, whereas wristbands can get in anywhere, any time).

Most shows have a limited number of regular-admission spots available, but those with badges and wristbands get priority (kinda like how at the Fest, you can buy individual admission to most shows but there's only a limited amount of single-show tickets available, whereas wristbands can get in anywhere, any time).
Also, that's assuming the show you want to go to is an official SXSW showcase. If it's not, then odds are it's free. (Quick rule of thumb: If it's before 6pm, then it's not an official SXSW showcase and is usually free.)

hmm ok thanks for the heads up.

i know its a personal decision thing but any idea if the wrist band is worth the $150? I know it also depends on bands and stuff but generally speaking. And by 6pm I may already be somewhat drunk. What!? I'm 5'7" and 135lbs haha, even in college I was always a lightweight.

if you get drunk early it's not a good idea. pace yourself. i rarely drink during sxsw. there's too much to do to think about drinking.

it's kinda difficult to get a wristband unless you know someone to buy them, and even then they have to have the person there at pick-up. usually only people with proof of living in the city can buy them and pick them up. unless you know a badge holder than can buy one for you at cost. to tell you the truth, a wristband isn't even worth it.

Go to this! Richard has mastered all of my releases.

Erika Records' vinyl mastering engineer Richard Simpson who has over 40 years of cutting experience will be at our SXSW booth to answer questions related to the mastering and production of a vinyl record. Richard will be at the booth Tuesday, all day, Wednesday 1:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. and Thursday 1:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Stop by to ask Richard your mastering questions and hear his mastering session stories with Elvis Presley, John Denver, Lou Reed, David Bowie, The Monkees, The Beach Boys, Harry Nilsson (The Beatles), Ice-T, NWA, E-Sassin, Paul Oakenfolds and more.

if you get drunk early it's not a good idea. pace yourself. i rarely drink during sxsw. there's too much to do to think about drinking.

it's kinda difficult to get a wristband unless you know someone to buy them, and even then they have to have the person there at pick-up. usually only people with proof of living in the city can buy them and pick them up. unless you know a badge holder than can buy one for you at cost. to tell you the truth, a wristband isn't even worth it.

I agree with Mike about Day Drinking....I still do it, I can't help myself...but it makes the entire day just that much more insane, as you start sobering up later in the evening it's just exhausting man....I gotta remember to eat before heading out this year so the Day Drinking doesn't murder me

I've gone to SXSW.... four times now, I think? I think the most alcohol I've ever consumed was last year, where I had a whopping two beers on Saturday. I just never find time to drink while I'm there—I'd rather run around watching bands than be a jaded industry asshole who only goes to parties for the open bars.

i usually luck out and a decent number of bands I want to see are at one place...where free booze is available...I also don't have a badge or a wristband, so getting in to parties usually involves a decent wait...so I usually find one party with a fair amount of bands I want to see and free booze, b/c I make very little money, and when I'm on "Vacation" for this thing, it's not a paid-vacation, I'm just out a weeks worth of pay...so free booze is a pretty awesome draw for me

my SXSW schedule always consists of starting my day off at "juan in a million" with the "don juan" and a margarita. from there, i just eat and drink whatever's free. i am pretty good about handling my drunk, so as long as you keep yourself on a constant buzz, you should be good with day drinking.

also, andywax...looks like we have the exact same plans.

what i wanna know is "Who wants to go to the CYCLOOPEAN Showcase with me on Thursday night. Holy FUCK it looks good. Hatred Surge and Mommoth Grinder are awesome live. Strider isn't too bad either. Roller is always entertaining. ALl they needed was Iron AGE and the rest of the festival wouldn't have mattered.

what i wanna know is "Who wants to go to the CYCLOOPEAN Showcase with me on Thursday night. Holy FUCK it looks good. Hatred Surge and Mommoth Grinder are awesome live. Strider isn't too bad either. Roller is always entertaining. ALl they needed was Iron AGE and the rest of the festival wouldn't have mattered.

into it. i'm not even going to try and get into the strokes show.

I think I'm honestly most excited for Caspian, Joan of Arc, Kevin Devine, and This Will Destroy You. I would LOVE to get into the OFWGKTA show but the RSVP is closed already.

everything else is kind of filler. there's a couple great Americana day shows going on Friday and Saturday if anyone wants to hook up at these I should be wandering around...

[image]

I think I'm honestly most excited for Caspian, Joan of Arc, Kevin Devine, and This Will Destroy You. I would LOVE to get into the OFWGKTA show but the RSVP is closed already.

everything else is kind of filler. there's a couple great Americana day shows going on Friday and Saturday if anyone wants to hook up at these I should be wandering around...

[image]

YEAH YEAH, YOU WILL KNOW THE GLORY OF LEE BAIN'S III AND THE GLORY FIRES!!!

metallica and third eye blind were at stubbs.. that was a club. auditoreum shores is open seating and huge as fuck.. it's open to the public and free. thing is the size of 5 Stubbs. maybe 7. so you shouldn't have a problem finding a good spot to sit and watch the show.

...and here's the official Auditorium Shores schedule:

Thursday, March 17

6:00pm Luke Rahtborne

7:00pm Twin Shadow

Levi's Presents:

8:00pm The Strokes

Friday, March 18

6:00pm Suzanna Choffel

7:00pm World Party

8:00pm Blue October

Saturday, March 19

Acts for the whole family: