Graveface Record Club

deafmx

• 3 weeks later...

Per the Graveface facebook page there is "big news" coming this morning.
Any speculation?
Supposedly not about the Archive Series (when then?!?!?!?!) nor a second Curiosities shop.

I assume it is not the long ago hinted Graveface Electronics... maybe a new signing?
Just saw that Whirr is coming to Chapel Hill... that's cool, at least!

Holy crap!  I completely forgot about that production.  I'll hit up the guy that was making it and see where he is with it all. 

Not trying to come off pompous and tell you how to run your label or anything and this is a genuine question!

Since you're working with Dustin aka New Fumes would you ever consider a short run of his hand made vinyl not via subscription?  I really only follow Xiu Xiu, Whirr, and Casket Girls I'm sure there are plenty hundreds in the same predicament but who are also fans of New Fumes hand dips yet cannot afford the 100$+ subscription.

Not trying to come off pompous and tell you how to run your label or anything and this is a genuine question!

Since you're working with Dustin aka New Fumes would you ever consider a short run of his hand made vinyl not via subscription?  I really only follow Xiu Xiu, Whirr, and Casket Girls I'm sure there are plenty hundreds in the same predicament but who are also fans of New Fumes hand dips yet cannot afford the 100$+ subscription.

I'm sure taking subscription incentives and making them widely available is exactly what his accountant would advise against. It's there to entice you into buying in.

Best subscription around too, thanks Ryan!

Yeah. I'm seriously considering the subscription at this point. Especially with Peregrine and the Whirr stuff coming up. Wish the Archival series Appleseed Cast stuff would go in it too though if it isn't. My collection is severely lacking. Pretty sure I only have The End of the Ring Wars.

That's not an awful idea by any means but I definitely can't justify it yet.  Working with New Fumes was in a weird way my 'gift' (so to speak) to the Record Club for being so loyal to me over the years.  I just wanted to find something to spice up the subscription a bit.  Perhaps you could find a friend that's into collecting who wouldn't want the releases you want and so forth? 

All that being said I'm constantly growing and changing so I'll never rule anything out.  Just trying to do the best I can. 

Cheers!

That's not an awful idea by any means but I definitely can't justify it yet.  Working with New Fumes was in a weird way my 'gift' (so to speak) to the Record Club for being so loyal to me over the years.  I just wanted to find something to spice up the subscription a bit.  Perhaps you could find a friend that's into collecting who wouldn't want the releases you want and so forth? 

All that being said I'm constantly growing and changing so I'll never rule anything out.  Just trying to do the best I can. 

Cheers!

Its impossible to please everyone. sadly too few artists I am into seem in the future that keeps me from subscribing ! If I had lots of money I would be all over it for Whirr, Xiu, Casket, and Haley.....One day maybe...But you obviously are doing everything you can do to make a subscription work! I am just glad you have one, many other labels need them and don't have the balls!

I'm sure taking subscription incentives and making them widely available is exactly what his accountant would advise against. It's there to entice you into buying in.

Best subscription around too, thanks Ryan!

All I'm saying is New Fumes being added to Graveface is like your favorite baseball team acquiring Verlander. He's a stud in the vinyl community and could maximize overall sales instead of limited sales because people can't buy the 150$ price tag. 

Let's say the average vinyl collecting fan pulls out 3 bands that they like per Graveface...

150$x300 subscribers = 45,000$

Let's say each New Fume record sold separately was 30$ (that sounds like a fair price right?)

and an edition of 500

30x500=15,000 

Looks loose but in my example, I'd buy all 3 Whirr, Xiu Xiu, Stargazer Lilies

So if an average fan of the label bought 3 records per annual release there'd be 

30x500=15,000 x 3= 45,000$ (the same amount as 300 subscribers)

A buyer becomes more flexible to buy certain releases over time vs one large purchase of bands I may not be into. Hell, I might end up spending more (when shipping over time is calculated) for 5 bands but I ultimately spend 150$ but got to pick and choose which bands I wanted at the time I wanted...) 

My numbers might be unrealistic for the amount New Fumes can get done on a yearly basis... though

Just exploring options from a label in general!

Cheers!

Oh it's definitely spiced up! And I'm definitely not trying to come from a negative place of proposal. In fact if I had the money I'd subscribe in a heartbeat and do the trading model. At any rate keep on keepin on, looking forward to SWAY, gonna grab it at the local shop in San Diego M Theory! (Please make sure they get plenty of copies! :D)

I personally think that you just miss the point that the whole idea behind the Record Club is not to maximize sales, but to have something special for the 300ish people that stand behind that idea and behind every single Graveface release.

On a related note, I got both my Haley Bonar and Creepoid together some time ago, and whereas Creepoid definitely has some constant surface noise, Haley Bonar is just perfectly silent (and the songs are nothing short of spectacular).

On another related note, has anyone else noticed that the totals for some Freddy Points goodies have gone up (on the website at least, not yet on the catalogs)? Graveface gift box is now at 300 points, so this will have to remain my dream for another 10-15 years. ;)

I personally think that you just miss the point that the whole idea behind the Record Club is not to maximize sales, but to have something special for the 300ish people that stand behind that idea and behind every single Graveface release.

On a related note, I got both my Haley Bonar and Creepoid together some time ago, and whereas Creepoid definitely has some constant surface noise, Haley Bonar is just perfectly silent (and the songs are nothing short of spectacular).

On another related note, has anyone else noticed that the totals for some Freddy Points goodies have gone up (on the website at least, not yet on the catalogs)? Graveface gift box is now at 300 points, so this will have to remain my dream for another 10-15 years. ;)

What's a Freddy point?

NVM, googled.

What's a Freddy point?

From http://www.graveface.com/graveface-faq.html

PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS WHOLE FREDDY POINT SYSTEM TO ME

Alright, here's the deal. For every Graveface Records release you buy off of graveface.com, you receive one Freddy Point which resides in the catalogue you will receive. Basically you collect several of these to obtain goodies. YOU MAY RECEIVE A FREDDY POINT IN SOMETHING YOU DO NOT BUY OFF GRAVEFACE.COM. I've been trying to include them in the distributed titles to the best of my abilities. The only way you are guaranteed one though is off this site. You also do not get them with digital orders. The whole point is to get people excited about a physical object. I think that sums up the bulk of questions I get regarding them. Thanks for being so excited! Here's the current list of what the points can get you:

10 points - Any 7" of your choosing

12 points - Any single CD or single LP of your choosing

16 points - Any two CDs or one Double LP of your choosing

26 points - Combination of the 16 pointer, but add 2 free concert tickets to any Graveface related show

30 points - A custom 1 fl. oz bottle of Graveface Homemade Bitters

40 points - One Graveface related silkscreen poster mailed to you in a poster tube. Will be pulled from my archive of hundreds of show posters. All of them out of print.

50 points - Handmade Savannah Voodoo Supply Kit

65 points - One Graveface tshirt. Any size you want. This will be handmade and one of a kind.

75 points - One of a kind VHS made for you by a Graveface artist. This will include everything it shouldn't and a few things it should.

125 points - A 'Graveface Pail Kid' drawing made of you by Maria Reichstadt

150 points - A song personally created for you & only you by Graveface

200 points - A customized piece of artwork by William Schaff made for you!

300 points - Graveface gift box. This will contain a ton of weird Graveface related and unrelated things as well as some releases long out of print, test pressings etc.

325 points - Your name (or nickname) incorporated into the artwork of a Graveface release

All I'm saying is New Fumes being added to Graveface is like your favorite baseball team acquiring Verlander. He's a stud in the vinyl community and could maximize overall sales instead of limited sales because people can't buy the 150$ price tag. 

Let's say the average vinyl collecting fan pulls out 3 bands that they like per Graveface...

150$x300 subscribers = 45,000$

Let's say each New Fume record sold separately was 30$ (that sounds like a fair price right?)

and an edition of 500

30x500=15,000 

Looks loose but in my example, I'd buy all 3 Whirr, Xiu Xiu, Stargazer Lilies

So if an average fan of the label bought 3 records per annual release there'd be 

30x500=15,000 x 3= 45,000$ (the same amount as 300 subscribers)

A buyer becomes more flexible to buy certain releases over time vs one large purchase of bands I may not be into. Hell, I might end up spending more (when shipping over time is calculated) for 5 bands but I ultimately spend 150$ but got to pick and choose which bands I wanted at the time I wanted...) 

My numbers might be unrealistic for the amount New Fumes can get done on a yearly basis... though

Just exploring options from a label in general!

Totally.  I get it.  But oddly enough I'm not trying to make loot, I'm trying to create something nifty.  If I was simply trying to make loot I would definitely not continue running a label.  Or I would release music that I know people would like for sure instead of simply following my heart.  In fact I actually find running a label to be an uphill battle.  But that's another conversation.  

Anywho, like I said before I'm very moody so I could go against everything I feel right now in a few hours.  Thanks for the support!

Yeah I try to remember to raise them a bit annually.  One time I didn't and boy, was I fucked.  If I recall a bunch of people got Schaff pieces at the same time and he said to me, "you may want to consider raising the point totals for some of these".  Haha.

Yeah I try to remember to raise them a bit annually. One time I didn't and boy, was I fucked. If I recall a bunch of people got Schaff pieces at the same time and he said to me, "you may want to consider raising the point totals for some of these". Haha.

Lol. I just signed up for the club, I envy you for following your passion, which I still haven't found in life.

Ugh, are you fucking serious?!?!?

I've been chasing that Graveface Box for like 7 years now!!!

Will this ever be attainable?!?!?!?!

I'm so close to 200 points, too!!!

Who wants to sell/trade me their points?

Unless that's not kosher, of course... Ryan?

Iv been trying to slowly save for the box too but I'm only at like 50 points and at the rates it's been jumping up since iv first discovered gf it's getting further and further out of reach

That's a huge bummer that you were sooo close!!!

Can't blame Ryan tho it's a genius scheme to keep all of us buying the stuff he puts out haha

I'd be interested to see what your gf collection looks like, you got a pic?

And last but not least has anybody in here even gotten one of the boxes? if so im curious as to what was in it!

....longest post ever hah

yeah the box has been at 300 points for almost 2 years now, hasnt it? im at about 200 myself