WARNING: Don't deal w/ Poly-Cut.com

The company (Poly-Cut.com) offers custom lathe cut records. However I've had less than a desirable experience with this company and would strongly advise NOT dealing with them.

Long version:

I placed an order on Nov. 14th with expectation that I would have my order by early Dec. I did receive my order on time, the communications were smooth and he was initially easy to deal with, however, I only received half of the order I paid for (I ordered 4 but only received 2). I figured it was a simple mistake and contacted him to rectify the issue. He apologized for the error and I was told to expect the remainder of my order before the holidays, which never happened. When I contacted him he explained that his poly blank supplier was holding him up and apologized for the delay. That was the end of Dec. So, I gave it 3 more weeks before inquiring again and this time I got no response. 2 more emails over the course of late Jan to early Feb and still no reply. At this point I just wanted my money back. He finally responded on Feb 8th claiming family medical issues. Again, gave him the benefit of the doubt and it's now Feb 24th and I have heard nothing. I sent a request earlier this week requesting a refund.... nothing.

Short version:

It's getting close to 4 months from when I initially placed the order and he has not sent my completed order or refunded me the balance. While he seems like a decent guy and produces a nice product his business practices are unacceptable.

BUYER BEWARE

*******UPDATE AS OF 08/11/2011******

As you can see in the posts below Tom from PolyCut found my thread and decided to post a list of excuses as to why he's been screwing people. In his post he makes it seem as if he wants to rectify the wrongs and specifically calls attention to those who have posted to contact him to fix the problems. Well guess what, he's done NOTHING! He acknowledges the fact that he owes me a refund but has done nothing about it. I sent him a Paypal request and a follow up e-mail on Monday and I still have NOTHING! Not even a reply e-mail! He continues to dig himself deeper and make himself look even worse. Hopefully more people post here so that potential customers can be warned of his poor business practices.

I used http://www.customrecords.com to make a 1 off 7" mix for my girlfriend, super quick turnaround, great product too.

All in, how much did that cost?

it was like $75 with shipping i think. maybe more because i needed over night shipping, but it wasn't bad, literally a 24 hour turn around time.

• 4 months later...

It has been over 7 months since I paid Polycut records, turn around was to be 6 weeks, Tommie Emmi is a robber, plain and simple. He has lied to me and plenty others about our lathe cuts, always an excuse, been told they're in the mail but they never turned up and no tracking numbers were provided either. DO NOT TRUST POLYCUT RECORDS

hello everyone

recently this forum and thread was brought to my attention so i wanted to reply and make clear of the situation which has been hazed by a few people on this board and clear up any negativity which may have been absorbed.

cutting individual records is not a fast process, in fact it's extremely time consuming. you have to deal with error from the machines which are extremely old, error from mistakes happening with audio files people submit which may have peaks which cause the equipment to cause jumps or skips in cuts and also problems which can occur in the blanks themselves depending on the manufacturer i get them from - this is not pressing, it's manually cutting each record one by one in real time so in essence any delays in manufacture are due to purely not enough time to get everything done properly in the allotted time allowed for a job, especially when there are lots of jobs waiting to be done.

in february my wife had some serious health issues involving her breathing and had to be rushed to the emergency room multiple times as donny has mentioned in his original posting here. shortly after that in april i had a major disaster happen when my main imac blew it's power supply which in turn blew caps all over the logic board. i took the imac to two different repair places only to get it back on thursday the 14th, about two weeks ago. i was informed when it was returned that the hard drive also failed then so not only has it set me back from waiting for the computer's repair but now it's set me back again as i have to track down all the files again for cutting that i lost due to the hard drive crash. i had a time machine hooked up for backing up files but i had not checked it in a few weeks prior to the computer frying and it had stopped backing anything up so whatever was malfunctioning on the imac must have stopped it from backing up files as well. needless to say in the future i am requesting both digital and hard copies of anything sent to be made so this sort of thing does not happen again.

donnybrook : he received 2 of his records and my bad mistake on his matter was being so caught up in my wife's health matters that i simply forgot to do the other two for him as i had him marked off on my schedule as shipped and received, my sincere apologies to him and if he would be so kind as to send me an email, i will make his matter right for him either in a refund or getting the other two records he requested to him.

ohnotherobot : if i didn't get back to you via email it's probably due to my email server which is hit and miss when it comes to different emails coming in. i try very hard to get back to everyone who has sent me a message, sometimes it takes a few days to do so but i do really try so please accept my apologies for the miscommunication on your end.

cairdeandroichoir : i received a mailer from my local post office stating i had a returned package and went to retrieve it this morning to find your 30x10" sent back due to an undeliverable address. this may have been a mistake on my end and instead of giving you another email and irritating you more, i was planning on just sending it along with the 15x12" LPs you ordered next week.

garry: i sent you an email on july 17th, stating from the exact email:

"i should be able to get these finished and back to you by mid august at the latest, probably way earlier than that though.

i'll shoot you a message when they're closer to being ready to be shipped and get your info and everything so i can get them out to you

thanks again"

i work on a first come first serve basis so anyone who came before someone else gets their records first - you mentioned you needed them by mid august and since it was only 10 records and the total running time was less than 6 minutes for the entire 7", i was going to push them thru sooner so you would have them in your hands for your show. if you were concerned about anything, i really wish you would have contacted me first.

the last thing i want to do is make a bad impression on my work. i have done hundreds if not thousands of records for people all over the world so far and have had nothing but return customers and recommendations from those customers for even more jobs.

with the sudden collapse of single piece slate blatantly ripping people off and simply not replying to people blowing up their facebook page and causing lots of musicians who live paycheck to paycheck to lose hundreds of dollars and having no explanation as to why it happened, i want to be completely clear that i have no intention on ripping anyone off nor have i done so already. sometimes things happen which cause delays which are completely beyond my control and i make it a point to get back to everyone to let them know what's going on as i have told many people already about my imac disaster - but seeing as that this is my sole source of income currently and having getting a good reputation from past jobs so far, i would like to assure anyone out there who may be now a bit weary of working with me that i am doing everything i can to make better the situations i have been dealt with regarding my equipment failing on me and working literally 14-18 hour days making records for people so they can get what they pay for.

if anyone would like to discuss this with me, please feel free to contact me at [email protected] or please reply back here or via pm, i have nothing to hide and would love to clear up any bad karma this has made.

again, donny / ohno / caird / garry - sorry if all this negativity has left a bad taste in your mouth about poly-cut but i assure you - your purchase is safe and you will get what you paid for - i can't apologize enough for any delays you have suffered but i'm doing what i can to get your records to you as quickly as i can.

sincerely

-tommie

i'd also like to add that first and foremost i want to empathize with the musicians who have come to me for their jobs and are waiting longer than expected for their records. i am a record collector myself and i know how anxious i get when i'm waiting for new records and how frustrating it is to wait. up until recently i was also cleaning houses to support my family which also made making deadlines sometimes difficult but i always worked on the records even if it meant being away from my family longer than i normally am. i have since had a few clients unable to continue getting their houses clean due to the economy and one who moved out of state so now poly-cut is my main source of financial support for my wife and three kids.

also - when jobs come in and funds for the jobs are received, the blanks for that individual job are ordered so part of the funds are already depleted. only after the jobs are cut and play tested do i find out if they are of quality enough to send out. as i stated mistakes happen sometimes and when they do, i have to replace the bad records with recut records - which is done out of my own pocket as i do not charge for overages nor set up fees to cover additional blanks. in turn, there's really not a lot of profit to be made doing this - it's more so a love of getting artists something physical with their music on it instead of a file which gets lost in the shuffle of thousands of other mp3s. i have even recently sold off part of my personal record collection on ebay to purchase more blanks as extras in case of mistakes happening during the cutting process as to make sure my client's get everything they ordered and not have to wait even longer.

again, please feel free to discuss here or email me or pm me - i would like to put an end to any negativity this thread has brought upon the record cutting i do for people and hopefully show that i am sincere in my responses and actions.

So many excuses. If you're accepting payments from people, be up front with the turn around time.

It has been over 7 months since I paid Polycut records, turn around was to be 6 weeks

If it's going to take 7 months then you must tell the customer it will take over half a year, not six weeks.

There is no excuse for making excuses. I hope you see the value in these words.

thank you for the comment.

regarding all's records, you are correct and her records should have been to her by now. i'm a bit irritated at the events leading up to her delay as well as donny mentioned in his post my distributor sometimes has CNC machine issues which sets me back as well as sometimes flawed polycarbonate is used which i only find out upon the cut of the record and my distributor does not allow returns so i basically have to eat the bad plastic, not literally but...

as for letting people know the turn around time, i do in fact do that - i let everyone know i'm X amounts behind and will start on their records at the estimated time i'm currently at process wise. if someone as in garry's case needs something super fast and it's a short job, i let them know if it's possible for them to get their records in the time allowed otherwise i will not agree to the job.

there is no reason for excuses, only explanation and that is the main reason why i registered on the site and clear things up for those who are having mixed emotions about their jobs.

Oh did single piece slate finally go under? I had a horrible experience with them...total fucking amateurs

i'm not 100% sure but from the looks of their comments section on their facebook / twitter and the number of people that we're going with them who have come to me, i would say it's not a very good sign. one of my clients lives in seattle and also had a bad experience with them prior to their move and knows a bit more about it than i do but i have been told it's for the worse.

Apparently Poly Cut is ran by 1 out of date iMac and contains 1 employee. The location of this fine establishment is located so far from a Mac store, that shipping and fixing of a logic board and hdd takes months rather than 4 / 6 days. Sounds like this company is running of thinner ice than their customer's patience.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest markovianprocess

I was promised the records for a show I have on the 18th, and if he's shipping them from the US to Scotland, this is really cutting it pretty fine. I can't even order the sleeves because I really don't know if I will have them in time. The records were to mark a special occasion too.

Guest markovianprocess
why would you wait to have records before you get covers?

EDIT: I've just been told that the records are finished, and will be posted tomorrow. I've asked for a photo to show online.