minus the bear - gigantic on vinyl?

Gigantic is my favorite. Minus the Bear's catalog has always been consistently good, but that first EP was like nothing else at the time of it's release. I listened to it so much on a "cross country roadtrip" from PA to Orange County and back. A lot of good memories and a vinyl version would be swell.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

seriously? source? that would be awesome.

i sent an email to david at SS to see if they were sitting on any copies of HRP because i have been searching for it and can't afford to pay 80+ for it. he told me that they plan to repress it later this year.

Try emailing luckyhorse industries.

I think it was a good record, but following "Planet of Ice" had to be hard. That's a near-perfect album in my opinion. See "Tail Swallower and Dove" for an example of a perfect album.

I agree with everything said here

While I am a huge TAAS fan, I'm not sure Tail Swallower was quite a perfect album. After all is said and done, I kind of feel like its the weakest release but by no means a bad one. I pretty much love all three albums equally but with a marginal hierarchy putting TS&D at third. Still, that doesn't mean that its inferior in quality in general, just not as good as the others.

As far as MTB, POI was my first album from them. Love it. Love MEO. Love HRP to a slightly lesser extent than the aforementioned two and OMNI was just disappointing in general save the few good tracks.

I agree with everything said here

While I am a huge TAAS fan, I'm not sure Tail Swallower was quite a perfect album. After all is said and done, I kind of feel like its the weakest release but by no means a bad one. I pretty much love all three albums equally but with a marginal hierarchy putting TS&D at third. Still, that doesn't mean that its inferior in quality in general, just not as good as the others.

As far as MTB, POI was my first album from them. Love it. Love MEO. Love HRP to a slightly lesser extent than the aforementioned two and OMNI was just disappointing in general save the few good tracks.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but keep in mind that for the past 15 years I have been a professional music critic and writer. Therefore my opinion counts double what the average music fan's does.

BUT, also keep in mind that I am now a humble skate shop owner and as such nobody give a shit what I think anymore, so there you have it. It all balances out. Still though, it's a little toss up between "Easter" and "Tail Swallower," but I think the latter takes it. And TAAS, to me, were the perfect blend of post-punk, progressive hardcore and straight-up rock. Thus, the perfect band, nearly on par with the late, great Into Another (also known as "the greatest band ever to exist).

Try emailing luckyhorse industries.

i did. got no response.

That sucks man. Sorry about that.

However, until the repress of HRP, definitely keep your eyes out. I've randomly seen sites and other message boards have someone post theirs for cheap. Actually, I believe some dude sold his for $12 a couple weeks ago on here haha

Either way, good luck!

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but keep in mind that for the past 15 years I have been a professional music critic and writer. Therefore my opinion counts double what the average music fan's does.

BUT, also keep in mind that I am now a humble skate shop owner and as such nobody give a shit what I think anymore, so there you have it. It all balances out. Still though, it's a little toss up between "Easter" and "Tail Swallower," but I think the latter takes it. And TAAS, to me, were the perfect blend of post-punk, progressive hardcore and straight-up rock. Thus, the perfect band, nearly on par with the late, great Into Another (also known as "the greatest band ever to exist).

haha. Well, I will definitely agree with the assertion that TAAS were that perfect blend. No doubt about that shit. Like I said, all three albums are so close to equally amazing that the hierarchy is practically microscopic. Easily one of my top favorites of all time. Their catalog as whole I would say could easily rival any similar bands in greatness. Unfortunately they were criminally under-exposed.

"Horse Girl" jams like nothing else on this Earth. One of the prime examples of that blend of styles you were referring to.

I'm actually going to spin TS&D again today to try and remember what my gripe actually was with it.

i did. got no response.

That sucks man. Sorry about that.

However, until the repress of HRP, definitely keep your eyes out. I've randomly seen sites and other message boards have someone post theirs for cheap. Actually, I believe some dude sold his for $12 a couple weeks ago on here haha

Either way, good luck!

if you happen to see one and think of it, send me a PM! i'd really appreciate it!

I'm super curious to see what bands come out of the TAAS break up. I try not to get worked up when an awesome band breaks up because it usually means three more awesome bands are coming. Remember, no Botch break up, no MTB, TAAS or Narrows. That's worth more to me than botch staying together and getting boring, which would have been sad.

you keep forgetting Beer Commercials. POI is definitely better than OMNI though. yikes.

you nailed the TAAS but even their last album in the chain is great.

YOU'RE RIGHT! i am ashamed. let me revise...

HRP>Beer Commercials>Gigantic>MEO>OMNI>POI

and as far as these arms are snakes. TIMTHY>Oxeneers>Easter>Tail

and i disagree about planet of ice. it was far too... serious? for minus the bear. i was never into minus the bear because they produced some progressive indie rock staple. i loved them for fun catchy twinkle daddy jammers about partying.

in fact, the water imagery that runs rampant in Gigantic / HRP / Beer Commercials was one of my favorite things about the band. What kind of statement were they making with an album called Planet of Ice? "Out with the old, in with the new." Omni gets back to the fun that i like in minus the bear.

those is mah 2 cents. HRP is a very sentimental album for me.

I like your reasoning. I'd almost say POI was better than MEO in my scheme too but I'm undecided. I generally like all MTB though, I haven't seen them since MEO however. it wasn't enjoyable to see them as much and they got too big for the Triple Rock too I suppose. HRP is easily my favorite album and most listened to record of theirs.

and This Is Meant To Hurt You is the same, loveeee that record.

i think i've seen them once for each release of HRP, MEO, and POI. POI was pretty lame. the place was packed and i was surprised at the amount of weed being smoked. i think my friends and i were the only ones dancing too. haha

and +1 for being able to have a friendly conversation based on opinion without cheap shots or rude comments! man is that rare around here. hahaha