I want my MTV back!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You do know there was more than just Duran Duran Videos at that time. It was no Night Flight but there were tons of awesome videos in the early 80's besides "Hungry Like The Wolf". They were the first ones to make a video on a BOAT even before "stepbros" and "lonely island" :P

Speaking of TeEN Mom? So what's the thing with the mom and her daughter and the whole custody batter ? who wound up with custody of her kid? Has their aggro relationship come to fisticuffs yet? I'm so behind on it.

O HAI SISTAFRIEND, LEMME UPDATECHU.

the crazy daughter signed over custody to the crazy mom. the crazy daughter's boyfriend is a worthless pot head without a job. they've been crashing at random places together since she got kicked out, and she's supposed to be going to college somewhere. she got a job, the boyfriend didnt, and they cant afford an apartment together so her mom let them stay at her house. THEN they were smoking pot in her mom's front yard and the crazy mom caught them and said the worthless boyfriend couldn't stay there but the crazy daughter could, and they both left and the crazy daughter just whined and cried that if the worthless boyfriend had to move back home to wherever she would have no one to love her.

ANDNOWYOUAREALLCAUGHTUP!

ugh I can't stand Janelle! Here mom raised that child since the day he was born. And Chelsea's boyfriend needs to go somewhere. She is dumb for taking him back though. I can't wait to see the next episode. In the preview they make it look like he's still cheating on her and I want to know!!! We need a Teen Mom thread.

With all the blogs and such, would a throwback MTV even serve a purpose? I mean, really. I can keep tabs on whatever scene I'm into across multiple continents with a few clicks of the mouse.

People that want to listen to music and have an interest in hearing new and exciting things (NOT referring to Arcade Fire here...) will find a way to regardless of what anal seepage MTV passes off as entertainment.

MTV should just fuck off entirely.

i back this... or

mtv should make their videos from 1980 to present available in hd qulity to download. i could make some awesome video compilations from this. always wish someone would do this..if not mtv someone else.

With all the blogs and such, would a throwback MTV even serve a purpose? I mean, really. I can keep tabs on whatever scene I'm into across multiple continents with a few clicks of the mouse.

People that want to listen to music and have an interest in hearing new and exciting things (NOT referring to Arcade Fire here...) will find a way to regardless of what anal seepage MTV passes off as entertainment.

Blogs are useful for the people who know to look for them. The point of the article is that the channel used to provide a service for the kids who weren't born with their finger on the pulse of the world like Bradley. It also addresses that while most of what they played was mainstream pap they also made time for bands from the underground w/ things like Headbangers Ball and 120 Minutes and those shows opened a lot of doors musically for those people. The internet is fantastic, but it's also bottomless.

Blogs are useful for the people who know to look for them. The point of the article is that the channel used to provide a service for the kids who weren't born with their finger on the pulse of the world like Bradley. It also addresses that while most of what they played was mainstream pap they also made time for bands from the underground w/ things like Headbangers Ball and 120 Minutes and those shows opened a lot of doors musically for those people. The internet is fantastic, but it's also bottomless.

agreed. the problem with everything mainstream is the fact that people simply dont know any better. this is what theyre served, and they have nothing telling them that they have a choice in liking it.

agreed. the problem with everything mainstream is the fact that people simply dont know any better. this is what theyre served, and they have nothing telling them that they have a choice in liking it.

That's a bit of a stretch, no?

People are sheep, sure, but they're not idiots. With everyone online and connected and exposed to a million different points of view on a million different subjects, you can't say that music beyond the top 40 charts has somehow remained elusive.

That's a bit of a stretch, no?

People are sheep, sure, but they're not idiots. With everyone online and connected and exposed to a million different points of view on a million different subjects, you can't say that music beyond the top 40 charts has somehow remained elusive.

you'd be surprised. i work with 14 people and only 1 of them goes outside of the realm of radio. i play other forms of music (kings go forth/20's NY Jazz/90's indie-rock/spanish/etc) and usually it's off within 1/2 a playlist because someone isnt familiar with the tunes and puts on "foo-fighters" or "smashing pumpkins". i like those bands but not every day.

i personally think it comes down to laziness or as they get older they find other things to occupy their time and music isnt always as much a necessity as it is to some of us. so it becomes a past-time almost. very sad.

I agree w/ this.

There are still a ton of great music videos being made. My girlfriend and I love watching music videos and I try to queue a few up in YouTube and we watch them in bulk on the TV.

I post a fair bit on Tumblr and Twitter when I find good ones, but that's one of those scenarios where you have to know where to look.

i just miss 120 minutes. and beavis and butthead.

there already was a "throwback" mtv called mtv x, but it didn't last very long. i think it became that spanish mtv thing.

Alternative Nation was pretty good for a while but it went downhill near the end. I used to set my VCR to record that show and 120 minutes all the time. I wish I still had some of those tapes but they're long gone...

I agree w/ this.

There are still a ton of great music videos being made. My girlfriend and I love watching music videos and I try to queue a few up in YouTube and we watch them in bulk on the TV.

I post a fair bit on Tumblr and Twitter when I find good ones, but that's one of those scenarios where you have to know where to look.

Thanks Kirby!