Any comic book readers?

Comic conditions degrade very easily over time. It's very easy to get bends or breaks in color or even just sun damage. Not so much with records. Plus reading a trade paperback compared to an original comic is in no way comparable to the difference of MP3 vs vinyl.

All ones opinion I guess....I would way rather hold a comic book than a digital file.  They can hold up great over time as long as you take care of them.....just like a record.  You can play your records on crosleys or let kids crayon on your comics...I like to keep mine in nice shape.  Only purpose to get a comic graded it is to make it more valuable, just like never opening a record.....I would rather enjoy mine.....

All ones opinion I guess....I would way rather hold a comic book than a digital file.  They can hold up great over time as long as you take care of them.....just like a record.  You can play your records on crosleys or let kids crayon on your comics...I like to keep mine in nice shape.  Only purpose to get a comic graded it is to make it more valuable, just like never opening a record.....I would rather enjoy mine.....

Comic conditions degrade very easily over time. It's very easy to get bends or breaks in color or even just sun damage. Not so much with records. Plus reading a trade paperback compared to an original comic is in no way comparable to the difference of MP3 vs vinyl.

?

I'd much rather hold and read a tpb than a comic. They're heftier and feel better, plus I'm not afraid I'll bend it all up/crease it and ruin it. 

Sorry...I would much rather hold a comic book than a digital file or TPB.  I do have TPB for some stuff that I haven't been able to easily get in single issue form though.

Not only the feel...but many comics have content that isn't in trades.  Letter columns, back up stories, random craziness.  If you read books like Mind MGMT, Sex Criminals or Powers, the comic experience is WAY different than the trade experience.  Even more...these smaller press books, live and die on issue sales.  If the issues don't sell they book doesn't get made any more.......

Sorry...I would much rather hold a comic book than a digital file or TPB.  I do have TPB for some stuff that I haven't been able to easily get in single issue form though.

Not only the feel...but many comics have content that isn't in trades.  Letter columns, back up stories, random craziness.  If you read books like Mind MGMT, Sex Criminals or Powers, the comic experience is WAY different than the trade experience.  Even more...these smaller press books, live and die on issue sales.  If the issues don't sell they book doesn't get made any more.......

I'm not saying people shouldn't buy the comics when they come out, I'm just saying I can see why people would have a particular sentimental comic graded, then get the TPB to read and keep the other one more nice looking. Clearly you disagree, and that's fine. No one is forcing you to get your comics graded, read them all, enjoy them! Some people gain enjoyment from the memories associated with the comic and want to preserve it though.

Didn't mean to start a discussion here. My reasoning for grading my books is because I intent on keeping them for as long as I can. CGC just happens to have a very good process of preserving them. The only comics I have graded are the ones you see above. I have boxes and boxes of others I can read at any time. I'm not trying to make a dime here. I keep my valuable comics and cards locked up in a safe. I enjoy taking them out and looking at them every week. I also keep family heirlooms and other things of sentimental value in the same safe. I only collect things I'm interested in like specific comics, cards, records, old movie posters, etc.

Very nice collection kgry!

I am jealous of that Iron Fist book! He's one of my favorite characters. I have most of his early books, including two copies of Marvel Premiere #15, but still do not have IF 14.

I see nothing wrong with grading valuable or sentimental comics. It's easy enough to pick up a reprint or digital copy these days.

After two years of reading only comics I am now on my second traditional novel in a row. Someone slap me! Ha ha. I still have that Transmetropolitan run to read!

Another note: anyone see that gorgeous Locke & Key box set? Just ordered it to give the wife for Christmas. I only have Vol 1&2 so far so a reasonable investment with Amazon pricing.

Had two long flights this weekend; therefore, I was able to read a ton of books while aboard my small Southwest plane.  I finished...

American Vampire- Volume 6- nothing new really, in fact, the series seems to be losing the charm in which it had in the beginning.  I love almost everything Snyder has done, so I'm hoping Second Cycle is better

The Wake- speaking of Snyder, this is a creator owned series and wasn't too bad of a read, in fact, it's a very intelligent read, but I was hoping it would live up to Severed, which is my favorite graphic novel ever

Batman- What Ever Happened to the Caped Crusader- awesome read, definitely an interesting/alternative look into the madness that is Bruce Wayne

Batman- Cult- another fun Batman read, nothing amazing, but definitely fun

Batman- Prey- a pretty dark read that centers on the earlier career of Batman, just as he's beginning a relationship with Gordon. I've always loved the stories that follow Hugo Strange

Old Man Logan- written by Mark Millar (Kick-Ass), it follows Logan 50 years after super heroes have been wiped out.  The artwork is incredible, the writing is dark and bizarre, and Hulk's family have become a group of inbred landlords.  This is a must read.  

I heard the Wake ended pretty terrible. I read the first issue, wasnt too captivated by it and figured I would wait till it was all out and read. Now Im not so sure I will.

I really liked The Wake all the way through.  If you weren't into the first issue, I don't know if it'll really hook you later on.

Each issue of Outcast ends with just enough to keep me coming back .Overall, it's going pretty slowly though. As far as horror comics go, I've enjoyed the two issues of Wytches more.

Agreed.  Each issue does just enough to keep me wanting to read.  I'm waiting for more issues of Wytches before I jump into it.  I don't want to read two issues and then get upset that I don't have anything else to read.  As I've stated before, I fucking love Scott Snyder.  Have you read Severed?  Definitely one of my top 5 favorites ever, and it's legitimately creepy as hell.