Any comic book readers?

For Christmas I got Swamp Thing by Brian K Vaughan vol 1 & 2, and Low Moon by Jason.

I heard bad things about that run on Swamp Thing and I really don't want to believe it.

I do love Jason though, I haven't gotten to Low Moon yet but I'm sure it'll be as consistent as his other work.

I finished Preacher over the holidays and just thought it was okay overall. There were too many dragged out/dead end storylines and half the time Ennis seemed like he was being gross just for the sake of being gross. There were parts and characters that I really liked, but I doubt I'll revisit it in the future.

I finished Preacher over the holidays and just thought it was okay overall. There were too many dragged out/dead end storylines and half the time Ennis seemed like he was being gross just for the sake of being gross. There were parts and characters that I really liked, but I doubt I'll revisit it in the future.

Bummer.  I just pick one up between books or when I need to take a break from a slower paced book, but I'd still like it to finish up well. Oh well. I'll probably read all of them at some point anyway.

So I've been in the passenger seat of a car for a oral of about 30 hours over the last week for the holidays and a move and my girl does the driving, so I've read a lot.

Preacher- reread the entire run for the third time and every time I find something new in it. This was one of the greatest ongoing series and Ennis is the man

Punisher- Born and Max 1: The Beginning. More Ennis, which is always good. A much darker look at Frank Castle with a mature rating to allow for extreme content. Awesome stuff if you want a grimy look at the character.

Batman- Cacophone and the Widening Gyre- Kevin Smith's run on the Dark Knight was interesting and strange to hear Smith's voice behind my favorite comic book. Not sure how I feel when Bruce Wayne talks about sex, which is a little creepy. Overall a good read that has a cliffhanger that makes me really want the third part to finally happen.

East of West- Volume 1- weird, great art, but weird. Still not sure if I'll be opening up Volume 2

So I've been in the passenger seat of a car for a oral of about 30 hours over the last week for the holidays and a move and my girl does the driving, so I've read a lot.

East of West- Volume 1- weird, great art, but weird. Still not sure if I'll be opening up Volume 2

East of West is RAD. I'd recommend keeping up with it, it looks as if some serious shit is ready to go down.

I always thought the toilet humour in it detracted from the series as a whole.  I'm deep into his run on Hellblazer and I'm really digging it.

How do you guys find sequential issues? I can't ever find what I'm looking for and hate TPBs.

Local comic shops, online subscription services, ebay...

It is easier than ever to find issues these days.

Honestly if I could go back in time and start over, I would go with TPB as much as possible. I have been buying individual issues since I was a kid and have 6,000+ right now. They are a pain in the ass to store.

Local comic shops, online subscription services, ebay...

It is easier than ever to find issues these days.

Honestly if I could go back in time and start over, I would go with TPB as much as possible. I have been buying individual issues since I was a kid and have 6,000+ right now. They are a pain in the ass to store.

Yeah, the only individual issues I own are the Mouseguard: Winter ones and a bunch of The Gunslinger and The Stand ones from a while back. I've always been more of a TPB guy. Or even better, compendiums/omnibus

I have boxes upon boxes of single issues in my parents garage, but as I've aged I find I much prefer the TPB's over singles.  There were a few recent series I picked up all the issues for, Polarity and Translucid.  Jupiter's Legacy as well, but the sporadic nature of anything Millar puts out eventually causes me to get the collected edition. 

I always look into buy omnibus editions, sometimes you can find them SUPER CHEAP if you look through the amazon marketplace.  I got the X-Statix Omnibus for $32, 1200 pages and typically sells between $50-$90, so I lucked out.  A few others I got for great prices earlier this year.

I have boxes upon boxes of single issues in my parents garage, but as I've aged I find I much prefer the TPB's over singles.  There were a few recent series I picked up all the issues for, Polarity and Translucid.  Jupiter's Legacy as well, but the sporadic nature of anything Millar puts out eventually causes me to get the collected edition. 

I always look into buy omnibus editions, sometimes you can find them SUPER CHEAP if you look through the amazon marketplace.  I got the X-Statix Omnibus for $32, 1200 pages and typically sells between $50-$90, so I lucked out.  A few others I got for great prices earlier this year.

instocktrades.com is the jam for cheap TPBs.

• 3 weeks later...

Also, what are some absolute MUST reads. I'm open to anything, and I can't believe it took me this long to start reading comics (aside from spider man when I was much younger).

-Watchmen

-Preacher

-Some Batman titles are MUST reads: The Killing Joke, The Man Who Laughs, Year One, Dark Knight Returns, Arkham Asylum, Long Halloween

-American Vampire