Any comic book readers?

On 06/07/2017 at 0:20 PM, dnl said:

Black Science can be hard to follow at times too, but I think it's my favorite work of his.

I loved his Fear Agent book and enjoyed a couple of his Marvel runs (Punisher and X-Force) but most of his stuff has left me pretty cold.

Has anyone tried the Fantagraphics All Time Comics line yet? I've been pleasantly surprised with all of the issues out so far. Retro art & writing style but with some more modern gore and profanity. But they're not making fun of the old styles, it really reads as an homage.

I've also been working through the Copra collections lately which also take an indie comics sort of approach to superhero comics. It took a few issues for me to get with the vibe/storytelling but I''m almost done Round 3 and am loving it.

I started re-reading Mage: The Hero Discovered in anticipation of the new book. 

• 6 months later...

Not sure if anyone's interested in these, but I just got confirmation of shipment for the 2nd edition in s mini series for Iron Maiden's Legacy Of The Beast! So looking forward to this. I already have the first edition in all three variants. And I gotta say that this is Epic for Iron Maiden fans! Up the Irons!B)

Btw also can't wait for the new Waxworks records comic series coming out this month as well...:D

Edited by VinylMario
dammit

• 3 weeks later...

Marvel has been stepping up their game this year. With the return of Jean Grey, the X-men has been awesome. The Thanos Series is one of the best comics out right now.  The Avengers series that is out right now is also awesome. Some of the best art I've seen in a long time. 

4 hours ago, jonnystorm777 said:

Marvel has been stepping up their game this year. With the return of Jean Grey, the X-men has been awesome. The Thanos Series is one of the best comics out right now.  The Avengers series that is out right now is also awesome. Some of the best art I've seen in a long time. 

I only mildly follow Marvel stuff (mostly Thor, Spider-Gwen and Mockingbird right now), but I've heard great things about that Jean Grey.  Going to grab the trade once it's available. 

15 hours ago, jonrawks said:

I only mildly follow Marvel stuff (mostly Thor, Spider-Gwen and Mockingbird right now), but I've heard great things about that Jean Grey.  Going to grab the trade once it's available. 

Yeah, I have read all of marvel comics for the last 10 years, but they have been getting better as of late. I am excited for some upcoming series. 

good to hear. i tried getting back into a bunch of the Marvel titles but ended up really only liking some of the Guardians books, which ended up getting cancelled (seriously, Drax was friggin great). Others, like Deadpool, X-Men, Venom Space Knight, etc were totally underwhelming. everything seemed like a half-assed cash grab. 

Marvel was my introduction to comics as a kid, but in the last few years Image has been my reintroduction. Kill or Be Killed is my current favorite. I'm reading dozens of Image titles but also just recently started expanding into Vertigo and catching up on some creator originals. Next up is IDW and some Dark Horse. I'm open to some suggestions for the last 2 companies. I've only read Locke & Key (IDW) and Harrow County (Dark Horse) so far.

4 minutes ago, dnl said:

Marvel was my introduction to comics as a kid, but in the last few years Image has been my reintroduction. Kill or Be Killed is my current favorite. I'm reading dozens of Image titles but also just recently started expanding into Vertigo and catching up on some creator originals. Next up is IDW and some Dark Horse. I'm open to some suggestions for the last 2 companies. I've only read Locke & Key (IDW) and Harrow County (Dark Horse) so far.

i've been buying Image and Dark Horse titles almost exclusively. Image is killing it, and I'm slowing trying to catch up with the whole Hellboy/Mignolaverse on Dark Horse. Harrow County is also great. 

My pull list is probably 90% Image these days.  Ton of good titles right now.

3 hours ago, jlobban said:

I'm slowing trying to catch up with the whole Hellboy/Mignolaverse on Dark Horse. 

Same here.  They're quite good, but I really feel like I need to space out each read.  It's going to take me a very long time to get caught up.

4 hours ago, jlobban said:

i've been buying Image and Dark Horse titles almost exclusively. Image is killing it, and I'm slowing trying to catch up with the whole Hellboy/Mignolaverse on Dark Horse. Harrow County is also great. 

27 minutes ago, jonrawks said:

My pull list is probably 90% Image these days.  Ton of good titles right now.

Same here.  They're quite good, but I really feel like I need to space out each read.  It's going to take me a very long time to get caught up.

I'm getting so close to being entirely caught up on the trades!!!

I've been following the reading order here: http://www.multiversitycomics.com/annotations/hellboy-reading-order-2017/

and I'm up to Hellboy and the BPRD 1952 :)

9 hours ago, VinylMario said:

Any Spawn fans? Been reading that for nearly 20 years now. They've got unbelievable artists. Never failsB)

I still have a soft spot for him. i still have the first 75 issues and all the mini-series issues that came during that time. I tried diving back in around issue 251-255 and couldn't get into it. i think part of it is i cant handle Erik Larsen's pencils on it, but it also seems like everything has just been dragging on the whole time i was away (i'm probably wrong).

REALLY want to pick up the trade of the stint Jason Shawn Alexander is doing right now when it comes out, though. love his stuff. Empty Zone is spectacular (again, Image is killing it!)

39 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

I seem to remember a while back someone mentioning that they wishes there was a "discogs for comics" (or something. Got an email update reminding me about comicogs the other day. So if you want to keep track of your stuff: https://www.comicogs.com

I tried using it a few years ago and there just weren't enough entries there to make it useful.  I'll have to revisit it and see if that's changed at all.  The discogs format for comics would work very well if the issues are there.

12 minutes ago, jonrawks said:

I tried using it a few years ago and there just weren't enough entries there to make it useful.  I'll have to revisit it and see if that's changed at all.  The discogs format for comics would work very well if the issues are there.

You gotta add 'em boiiiiiii! But yeah, if a significant number of items aren't there it'll be a little rough. I wouldn't mind adding in a bunch of Mignola stuff if it isn't there and I have a free night this weekend.

1 hour ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

I seem to remember a while back someone mentioning that they wishes there was a "discogs for comics" (or something. Got an email update reminding me about comicogs the other day. So if you want to keep track of your stuff: https://www.comicogs.com

oh... OH GOD

i love you. also, my bank account will probably hate you. i need more of my records to sell....

10 hours ago, jlobban said:

oh man, this site is great, but there's SO MUCH that needs to be added in that i'd be too intimidated to even start trying to help.....

Yeah...I made a list last night of all the Mignolaverse stuff I need to add. A little daunting, but I may try to do it this weekend.

20 hours ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

You gotta add 'em boiiiiiii! But yeah, if a significant number of items aren't there it'll be a little rough. I wouldn't mind adding in a bunch of Mignola stuff if it isn't there and I have a free night this weekend.

Haha, I'm aware of that.  I mostly just don't have the time to add stuff.

22 hours ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

I think that was me. I did some digging and came across https://connect.collectorz.com/comics

It's not perfect (yet) but it helps keep track of what I have when I'm browsing my local shop. Also really easy to add to my wantlist as it has an option to add by barcode.

I've tried comicogs but I don't think the developers understand comics enough to make it useful and easy to navigate. Plus I really don't want to have to submit everything I have.