Any comic book readers?

24 minutes ago, jonrawks said:

I've enjoyed Black Hammer a lot too.  Lemire is one of my favorites.  After Death has been real good too, but he's just doing art for that.

I had them throw the first issue of God Country in my box, but I haven't gotten to picking it up yet.  Probably later tonight and reading it this weekend.

Is this Jeff Lemire were talking about? Because I also love him. I don't recall what exactly his involvement is in Descender, art or story or some involvement in both, but I've been really enjoying it. 

20 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Is this Jeff Lemire were talking about? Because I also love him. I don't recall what exactly his involvement is in Descender, art or story or some involvement in both, but I've been really enjoying it. 

Yeah!  He seems to be doing a lot of books right now.  He just writes on Descender I believe, even though the art does resemble his style a lot.

1 hour ago, dnl said:

Read the first Kill or be Killed trade today. Brubaker and Phillips are so consistent in their quality. Fatale, Fade Out, Criminal... I would love to see something picked up for film or TV.

I've really enjoyed Kill or Be Killed so far.  Not super related, but Brubaker did some writing for Westworld.  So he's a little involved in TV :) 

17 minutes ago, jonrawks said:

I've really enjoyed Kill or Be Killed so far.  Not super related, but Brubaker did some writing for Westworld.  So he's a little involved in TV :) 

Yeah but how great would a Fatale show be? To be fair, Image currently has quite a few titles that are ready for the screen. They're more than just TWD. These projects never seem to get off the ground though.

3 minutes ago, dnl said:

Yeah but how great would a Fatale show be? To be fair, Image currently has quite a few titles that are ready for the screen. They're more than just TWD. These projects never seem to get off the ground though.

I want to see an Invincible show. Live or cartoon, I don't care. I'm still waiting for more info to come out about the Chew animated series that was being worked on.

2 minutes ago, THE_James_Champ said:

I want to see an Invincible show. Live or cartoon, I don't care. I'm still waiting for more info to come out about the Chew animated series that was being worked on.

Chew was originally optioned by Showtime for a live action show if I'm remembering right.  This was real early on in the run.  Never got off the ground sadly.

I know Deadly Class is being developed as a show currently.  I absolutely love the comic and I hope they do it justice.

1 minute ago, THE_James_Champ said:

I'm not sure Chew would work outside of the comic medium, but it might be a good cartoon. So many titles get picked up by production companies and nothing yet. Brad Pitt was supposed to be working on a Wytches movie. Tom Hardy is adapting Trees. for TV. Sex Criminals has been in the treatment stage for over a year now. Currently waiting on a producer to discover East of West because that story would make an awesome TV show.

9 hours ago, jonrawks said:

Chew was originally optioned by Showtime for a live action show if I'm remembering right.  This was real early on in the run.  Never got off the ground sadly.

I know Deadly Class is being developed as a show currently.  I absolutely love the comic and I hope they do it justice.

The contract for Chew at showtime ran out, or something along those lines, it was a pretty big thing that Layman had mentioned. Shortly after they announced an animated feature was in the works. There's hasn't been a lot of news about it, but Steven Yeun, Felicia Day, and David Tennant are supposed to be providing voices. http://io9.gizmodo.com/chew-is-getting-an-animated-movie-with-steven-yeun-and-1566702403

As for Y: The Last Man, Brian K Vaughn is directly connected with this TV adaptation, and they (finally) have a show runner, so at this point, it might actually happen, lol: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/y-last-man-fx-series-taps-showrunner-947225

3 hours ago, THE_James_Champ said:

The contract for Chew at showtime ran out, or something along those lines, it was a pretty big thing that Layman had mentioned. Shortly after they announced an animated feature was in the works. There's hasn't been a lot of news about it, but Steven Yeun, Felicia Day, and David Tennant are supposed to be providing voices. http://io9.gizmodo.com/chew-is-getting-an-animated-movie-with-steven-yeun-and-1566702403

As for Y: The Last Man, Brian K Vaughn is directly connected with this TV adaptation, and they (finally) have a show runner, so at this point, it might actually happen, lol: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/y-last-man-fx-series-taps-showrunner-947225

The fact that IMDB has Chew listed in "post-production" is good. That may mean that all the voice work is at least completed. Based on the limited info provided, it looks like they still don't have a distributor. If it doesn't make it to theater, then I could see FXX or Netflix getting the release rights.

The new news on Y is good news. It looks promising but honestly, I bet the FX execs are waiting to see how well this new X-men show will perform before sinking money into a different comic based show.

On a side note: has anyone watched Outcast on Cinemax? Is it any good/entertaining? I find the comic to be too slow and often boring so I'm wondering how its translating to screen.

10 hours ago, dnl said:

On a side note: has anyone watched Outcast on Cinemax? Is it any good/entertaining? I find the comic to be too slow and often boring so I'm wondering how its translating to screen.

I watched the first season and it's slow and boring just like the comic :)  I probably won't watch the second season when it starts.  I also fell behind on the comics and probably won't pick them back up.  I'm pretty sure I just don't like Kirkman's writing at all.

6 minutes ago, jerseydave77 said:

I appreciate the recommend. Will add to my list. I figure I will do marvel a year then do dc digital next year. 

Yeah, I am not a huge fan of the new Woman Thor. It's time for the real thor to return. I think this series may lead up to that. Not sure, but Unworthy Thor has awesome art and a great story.  Also check out the new Old Man Logan series. That series is probably one of the best going on in Marvel. 

Kill Or Be Killed was my favorite new book of last year.  Great storytelling and quite a bit that hit very close to home.

Has anyone been reading Horizon? I'm having the creator/writer Brandon Thomas on my podcast this week. He was on a few months ago back when issue 2 came out and today is the release of issue 7 and the volume 1 TPB. Really nice guy and the book is great if you haven't checked it out.

31 minutes ago, jonrawks said:

My store's shipment was delayed due to the weather in Oregon :mellow:  Hopefully I can grab them before the weekend.  Saturday morning is coffee and comic time for me.

Things down here seem to be getting sorted. We had an overnight air shipment from UPS that was ordered last Thursday arrive today at work though...so.... :/

This guy'll be cranking through from Sledgehammer '44 and BPRD stuff starting tomorrow/tonight though! 4 day weekenddddddd :)

32 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Things down here seem to be getting sorted. We had an overnight air shipment from UPS that was ordered last Thursday arrive today at work though...so.... :/

This guy'll be cranking through from Sledgehammer '44 and BPRD stuff starting tomorrow/tonight though! 4 day weekenddddddd :)

I've had a few FedEx packages that've been delayed by  a day, overall stuff has been showing up fine for me though.

I really want to read BPRD, but I'm still got some Hellboy to work through first.

2 minutes ago, jonrawks said:

I've had a few FedEx packages that've been delayed by  a day, overall stuff has been showing up fine for me though.

I really want to read BPRD, but I'm still got some Hellboy to work through first.

I've been working my way through the "Mignolaversity Hellboy Universe Reading Order" which kind of puts things in order of when you need to know stuff that is referenced in later stuff? I've been really enjoying it so far.

http://www.multiversitycomics.com/annotations/hellboy-reading-order-2016/

Like I said, next up for me is Sledgehammer '44, so I'm getting pretty decently along! I've been getting some sweet used deals from Amazon to pick them up somewhat rapidly. If I can pay ~$8 for a tpb (including shipping in this case since they're usually 3rd party) that's more often than not better than used from a comic shop and almost an insta-buy!

9 minutes ago, jonrawks said:

^ thanks for that!  I'm 4 or 5 of the Hellboy trades in, so I've got a LONG way to go.  I've been picking them up the same way, the early trades have all been real inexpensive for me.

Be glad you've got a little while! For some reason BPRD: Vampire is out of print (pretty much the only thing in the Hellboy universe that is) and goes for like $30 used at minimum :/  Hopefully they reprint it soon!

• 3 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, KingTacoMunster said:

FINALLY got around to reading God Country, and man im excited for this series.

I liked the first issue too.  I wish they would've done a double issue or shipped the second one shortly after.  Issue 1 is all spent on establishing things and doesn't really get anywhere, I need a little more to get a feel for things :)

Edited by jonrawks
words are hard