Any comic book readers?

Thanks, I purchased East of West.  It looks like something I'll be interested in.  Chew and The Unwritten also look pretty interesting.  I'll start going through them once I get through East of West.  I'll also make sure to check out the first trade of The Preacher at the very least. 

I really love Chew, it's clever and the artwork is real unique.  I'd recommend grabbing the first trade.  The Unwritten started extremely well, but I feel like it's fizzled a bit over the last couple years.  I think that happens with a lot of books once they past the four or five year mark though.

Enjoy East of West, I have this thread to thank for putting that on my radar.

So far I've read the first three issues of East of West, and I see a lot of potential.  However, maybe it's just because I'm a moron, but I'm having a tough time following all of the plots.  It seems like there's just a little too much going on and it's not really connecting the dots.  I'm going to read on, but I'm hoping things come together pretty soon, because I'm feeling pretty lost.

So far I've read the first three issues of East of West, and I see a lot of potential.  However, maybe it's just because I'm a moron, but I'm having a tough time following all of the plots.  It seems like there's just a little too much going on and it's not really connecting the dots.  I'm going to read on, but I'm hoping things come together pretty soon, because I'm feeling pretty lost.

Stick with it, it seems like it's slowly starting to come together.  My probably with books like this is I always feel a little lost when a new issue comes out, due to my short memory and the month gap.

Stick with it, it seems like it's slowly starting to come together. My probably with books like this is I always feel a little lost when a new issue comes out, due to my short memory and the month gap.

It all started coming together right after my initial post when I read issue 4. I'm all caught up now. I'm pretty excited for the next release. I can definitely imagine myself being confused when there's a monthly gap between each release though.

I loved 100 Bullets but found the ending totally unsatisfying. I won't throw out spoilers but it's hard to end a story with about a dozen arcs. 

For books that have fully defined runs - beginning middle end - I really liked Planetary 100% of the way. I thought Ex Machina wrapped up well too. I had high hopes for DMZ but something felt flat to it - maybe enough of the story was too far fetched and I didn't realize it til the end. Still a very solid read. 

Preacher is possibly the standard bearer for how to begin and end a book. 

Toss out a few runs like this since I'm obsessed with good endings and there are very few in all media disciplines. 

I had high hopes for DMZ but something felt flat to it - maybe enough of the story was too far fetched and I didn't realize it til the end.

I feel the same way about DMZ.  I liked it, but I feel like it's run was a little too long and I was more ready for it to be done.  I wouldn't discourage anyone from reading it though.

I thought Y : The Last Man wrapped up really well, but it's been quite a while since I've read it.

Scalped was another book that was good from start to finish.  It might be worth checking out since you liked 100 Bullets.

anyone reading the new Sandman series? i completely forgot it was coming out and just tore through it when i got my latest Midtown shipment. beautiful first issue, very stoked to see where this goes. it's making me want to re-read the original series.

I started it, but something came up at work and I forgot to finish it.  I'm going to go through it tonight.

Such crappy news that Fables is ending.  One of the best comics of all time.

I'm ok that it's coming to an end.  The book was so strong originally, but after The Empire story wrapped up I feel like it hasn't been nearly as engaging.  The Mr. Black arc wasn't bad, but I think the book is past it's expiration date now.

Nope fairest is ending the month before Fables.

I wish I liked Fairest more, but it hasn't done much for me.  The Maharajah story arc especially wore on me, it didn't help that the font they used was hard to read.

Jack of Fables was fun for a little while, but overall the spin-offs haven't blown me away like Fables did initially.

I wish I liked Fairest more, but it hasn't done much for me.  The Maharajah story arc especially wore on me, it didn't help that the font they used was hard to read.

Jack of Fables was fun for a little while, but overall the spin-offs haven't blown me away like Fables did initially.

Yeah Jack of Fables I had to quit reading when it moved to a Jack Frost story.  I really enjoyed the Cinderella mini-series.  Also I read the Peter & Max (one of the few books without pictures I have read in years) and really liked that.

Yeah Jack of Fables I had to quit reading when it moved to a Jack Frost story.  I really enjoyed the Cinderella mini-series.  Also I read the Peter & Max (one of the few books without pictures I have read in years) and really liked that.

I think the Cinderella one was the best of the spin-offs, keeping it short and sweet worked in it's favor.  I haven't read Peter & Max, but I probably should.  I read a lot anyway and I do like the Fables world.

• 1 month later...

Such crappy news that Fables is ending.  One of the best comics of all time.

I missed this news. Fables is the book that got my wife into comics. She has a PhD in Kids Lit which is heavily rooted in studies of fables and fairy tales. 

Two Comic-Cons ago I met Bill Willingham and had a nice conversation there. He had a table set up that was selling nothing. He was just giving away signed lithos. Very few people were present so I went to chat and he was genuinely flattered when I told him how my wife uses his work in her classroom as a modern day example of how these old works have a evolved over time. Seriously, he could not have been a nicer more pleasant person to spend 10 minutes with. 

I just read the first Hawkeye collection: My Life as a Weapon. So damn good. I love how the character is so tongue in cheek. Book is very well written and entertaining. 

I've been hitting up all Brubaker Captain America stuff and it's redefined my opinion on the character. I was definitely bullish on the idea of resurrecting Bucky Barnes but I really came to appreciate him as this complicated character.