dark ass beer

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What 18% did you have that was good? I've had the Dogfish Head 18% Raison d'extra which is a dark ale, and honestly, it was terrible. It was way too thick and alcoholic. And this is coming from someone who loves Old Rasputin.

Surprisingly, the new Guinness that recently came out over here, Foreign Extra I think, is totally delicious.

Also, Ten Fidy.

I love the Dogfish Head extreme beers. I don't like the Raison d'Etra all that much but I could drink d'Extra all day... They all (Extra, 120 and World Wide) have a very similar taste but I think that they all rule. If the World Wide Stout is too much for you then you should try the Bitches Brew. It's a really nice middle ground between the Chicory (which falls short imo) and World Wide Stouts.

Old Rasputin is a bit too carbonated for me... The flavor is there but I need to let it sit. And Ten Fidy rules.

What 18% did you have that was good? I've had the Dogfish Head 18% Raison d'extra which is a dark ale, and honestly, it was terrible. It was way too thick and alcoholic. And this is coming from someone who loves Old Rasputin.

Surprisingly, the new Guinness that recently came out over here, Foreign Extra I think, is totally delicious.

Also, Ten Fidy.

I love the Dogfish Head extreme beers. I don't like the Raison d'Etra all that much but I could drink d'Extra all day... They all (Extra, 120 and World Wide) have a very similar taste but I think that they all rule. If the World Wide Stout is too much for you then you should try the Bitches Brew. It's a really nice middle ground between the Chicory (which falls short imo) and World Wide Stouts.

Old Rasputin is a bit too carbonated for me... The flavor is there but I need to let it sit. And Ten Fidy rules.

Bitches Brew is fantastic, Palo Santo and Burton Baton are all fantastic "dark ass beers" from Dogfish. I'm a huge Dogfish fan.

I'm assuming you're asking about the Foreign Extra? If so, it had all of the good bitter flavors of a stout, but managed to remain crisp and refreshing. The high ABV is also a plus. I would assume it is different that whatever you got before.

I did. Though I just looked it up and apparently the ingredients are sent out so it's brewed locally. That's probably why it tasted like that.

Try this if you get a chance:

[image]

I got a gift basket of this over the holidays. Best. Christmas. Ever.

damn some of you are hardcore.

i like my shiner, firemans 4, and some mystery beer i could never remember except it was at some pizza place in austin and made by oak brewing or something.

i should probably never post in this thread again :)

live oak? it's an austin-based brewery, and all of their beers are amazing. their hefeweizen and big bark are my favs.

Also, Ten Fidy.

did anyone have the SAM ADAMS TRIPLE BOCK when it was in season? holy fuck 14% and tasted like ass. i seriously couldn't drink the bottle in less than 30 minutes. it was sweat/sour/ and burnt all in one. total waste of $30 for a six pack.. ugh.

Ten Fidy for the win. That is some of the best beer I've drank to date. The reason those beers aren't that good is because they aren't ready. It's kinda dumb to have to sit on a beer for years before it's gonna taste good, but with that high of an ABV, it needs time to mellow and change. I cracked into a 2005 120 minute and a 2007 Raison D'Extra last week, and man, they are almost totally different than when they were released. Same for that triple bock. They brewed it three times (1994, 1995, and 1997, with the latter two batches having serious issues) with an 18% ABV, and that thing is JUST NOW shaping up to taste like something other than hot soy sauce. A couple friends and I opened up a 1994 on Friday, and it was excellent; almost akin to a congac ha.

My newest vote for dark beer would have to be The Shepherdstown Breakfast Stout (a double espresso chocolate oatmeal stout). But, then again, I made it, so I'm biased haha.

[image]

edit: The Guinness Foreign Extra is great too; it's actually what Guinness used to be in the 70's, but it's weakened and changed over the years (plus, most of it in the states is brewed in Canada anyways, the Foreign Extra is actually made in Dublin)