for all non-US based collectors

flood

it almost seems that all of you (based on record nerds/postings) primarily buy records of US based bands... is this a lack of vinyl releases in your home countries, or a lack of quality of local bands? I'm really curious about this... as i rarely hear about any "big" non-us acts .. aside from a couple UK bands.. and like japanese HC/noise/ambient type bands...

Lack of vinyl! We have great bands here in Brazil but you can count on your fingers how many records are released here in a year. There's just one vinyl factory in South America, located in Rio de Janeiro, that will close in the end of this month, then it will be even harder for the bands to put something out on vinyl. I know it sucks but people around here just erased vinyl from their lives, it feels like it never existed...

Canada and the US are so close and at this point the Canadian dollar is so strong there's no big difference between US and Canadian bands and their ability to produce stuff.

Certainly not, and I don't think there ever really was a problem there. In Canada it's a lack of bands when you compare us to the States. There's simply so much more music coming out of the States. Canada has a lot of amazing music (check out CBC Radio 3's website) but we are still outnumbered.

Canada and the US are so close and at this point the Canadian dollar is so strong there's no big difference between US and Canadian bands and their ability to produce stuff.

Certainly not, and I don't think there ever really was a problem there. In Canada it's a lack of bands when you compare us to the States. There's simply so much more music coming out of the States. Canada has a lot of amazing music (check out CBC Radio 3's website) but we are still outnumbered.

Oh no doubt some good stuff comes from the US's hat. I'm a big fan, the Hip rule.

Oh no doubt some good stuff comes from the US's hat. I'm a big fan, the Hip rule.

I'm going to go see them tomorrow!

in my city there is only one place that sells vinyl and they only sell a couple of hundred records, mostly popular stuff; not any punk records. Vancouver is the closest big city to me, and i don't make the trip down there often, so other than that there aren't many local bands pressing records. so for me, my only option is really through mail-order and most of my favourite bands are US based or on US labels.

I think you need to separate places like Canada, Japan, and Europe where the economy is much better than say Brazil or Mexico, or other poorer countries. I'm from the US but I do spend a lot of time in Mexico City and have bought vinyl there, but its almost impossible to find vinyl releases produced in Mexico, or releases from Mexican bands. Most of the stuff available was brought from the US, and most of the current bands can't even afford to release cds. Vinyl is more of a luxury for those of us that have expendable resources. At least in Mexico City, most music is available on cheap bootleg cd-rs, or you can purchase entire discographies of bands for about $1-2. Buying expensive vinyl or even legit cds doesn't make a lot of sense, and the market for that stuff is much smaller than it is in the US, Canada, etc.

Inutil, can you pm me links to Brazilian bands? I'd love to hear some stuff!!

I think you need to separate places like Canada, Japan, and Europe where the economy is much better than say Brazil or Mexico, or other poorer countries. I'm from the US but I do spend a lot of time in Mexico City and have bought vinyl there, but its almost impossible to find vinyl releases produced in Mexico, or releases from Mexican bands. Most of the stuff available was brought from the US, and most of the current bands can't even afford to release cds. Vinyl is more of a luxury for those of us that have expendable resources. At least in Mexico City, most music is available on cheap bootleg cd-rs, or you can purchase entire discographies of bands for about $1-2. Buying expensive vinyl or even legit cds doesn't make a lot of sense, and the market for that stuff is much smaller than it is in the US, Canada, etc.

Inutil, can you pm me links to Brazilian bands? I'd love to hear some stuff!!

i would also like to hear this.

this probably applies across the board regardless of nation, but i think for a lot of young bands don't see vinyl as a viable way to release material. for unsigned young bands 7"s are something they've either never seen or they don't know how to go about getting it. it's so much cheaper for unheralded bands (of which we have vastly more in canada) to just burn cd-r's, slap a nice label on them, and sell them -- cheaper and totally DIY as compated to pressing vinyl.

also, some of our best/biggest labels just don't do vinyl releases. i talked to the guys from choke when their last album came out, asked if they would do vinyl. they said smallman records has no interest in it and didn't plan to put anything out. contrast that to something like scratch! or red cat in vancouver who have very few bands and love to press vinyl, it's a little discordant.

• 1 month later...

London is brilliant for vinyl. there are some really excellent shops in Central London. fact is though, i just dont like the british sound. i'm much more into american music. most of the stuff i'm interested are from US labels like temporary residence, robotic, and hydrahead. saying that though, except for the really hard to get stuff, most of anything is available in shops here. conspiracy records in belguim do some well cool releases and a little label called eyesofsound (eyesofsound.com) are getting some really interested acts.

Guest havenhurst

the reason international collectors that post here are so focused on US bands is because this forum is an english speaking forum set up by an american label. i'm in paris right now and lots of kids collect vinyl, but when i look through their collections, i don't know shit 'cause they're all french bands. you don't hear from them on this board 'cause they're on a french speaking board somewhere discussing chocalat billy and mojon polagua records.

this is a good thread,flood.

i know many good bands by watche their show at bangkok,thailand.

i ever watched 'Furcurve' play in bangkok this june.they're rad.

furcurve is australian band.they release their 4 song ep with sony bmg australia.

'King Ly Chee'

100 percent Hong Kong based band.they ever played as open band for NOFX when fat mike and co play in Hong Kong.someone who very close to King Ly Chee is a promotor for that NOFX show.

'Second Combat' singaporean straighedge hardcore.they ever press their seven inhc with netherland label.their sound is a blender of bold,judge,gorilla biscuit and many of revelation's oldskool hardcore.

about thai band,

yeah,i know many band that i think they're cool but i can't define how they're awesome because i'm not sure you will like their works or not.i mean most of thai band still searching for their style.

if you wanna know some of thai band,just search their myspace page.

here's a list of thai band that you might interesting....

oblivious,empty glass means nothing,housetrap,she's burn,ritalinn,no is not,license to kill,born from pain (thai),tazzmania,plactic surgery.

All the local (montreal/quebec) bands seem to prefer CD. There's of course Fifth Hour Hero but most of their stuff was released on No Idea which is american.. The Sainte Catherines released a lot of their stuff on vinyl through yo-yo which is a german record label, and recently on Fat. Yesterday's Ring has released one album on yoyo the other on new romance for kids which is local... other than that 99% of the good bands have released stuff through dare to care on CD and very rarely on vinyl

i'd say either lack or vinyl or lack of home made vinyl

In Norway there is basically two good shops that sell vinyl (in Oslo), and they rarely have any rare pressings, just the usual black or least limited versions of records. Sometimes, but rarely norwegian bands release vinyl, mostly indie/hardcore bands. The most known to foreigners is perhaps JR Ewing (now broken up) who did splits with Van Johnson, Neil Perry etc. A pretty good band. Another band called The Spectacle released their records on CrimeThinc (cds) and vinyl on an american label called Scenester Credentials. My only option if i want rare records is ebay or US online stores. Because the dollar is now worth like 5 kroners its a pretty good deal. In the shop records are usually 150-200kroners, so records are cheaper online, even when you include the shipping.

Some other Norwegian hardcore bands that released vinyl:

Angora Static

Dominic

Kaospilot

Beyond The Fences

I.O.U

Rumble In Rhodos