PO: Modern Action Records/Smogtown & Neighborhood

Just got an email......Modern Action has 2 new PO's up and as alway Kool packaging...

Smogtown Incest & Pestilence LP Surfwax silk screened mailorder edition clear vinyl /150

http://www.vom.com/radio77/mar015.htm

"Has it really been a decade? After a few break ups, a couple hibernation periods along with a few sporadic releases here and there, the Fuhrers of the new wave are finally back with their first full length in l0 years. These twelve brand new unreleased songs, pick up right where domesticviolenceland left off, and are filled to the brim with their patented OC suburbanite beach punk fury. Not much more to say - its SMOGTOWN and the Beach City Butchers are back with a bang!"

Neighborhood Brats s/t12" + bonus 7"(The Orphans) screen print covers white vinyl mailorder /150

http://www.vom.com/radio77/mar013.htm

"This new San Francisco band fronted by Jenny (The Orphans), and backed by previous members of Roofie and the Nightstalker/Cute Lepers and many more, the NEIGHBORHOOD BRATS are here and are lighting the bay area scene on fire. These 5 songs represent the band’s entire debut recording session and are already blipping the radar for best record of 2011. All songs are catchy, raw and blistering punk rock bringing to mind early eighties LA punk crossed with early SF female fronted bands. Think Black Flag with Avengers/VKTMS vocals. Yes, it really is as good as that sounds. And I’m sure you've heard about the already legendary live shows, right?"

The effort and care they put into their packaging is fantastic! That Modern Action LP was my favorite punk rock record last year too.

Check out the German P.Trash records too.. that guy and his wife run it and they're awesome.. they put together some really great packaging as well and I think he said he'll be doing the euro version of that MA album pretty soon.

http://www.ptrashrecords.com/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
modern action sent out an email saying the covers got messed up and they had to re-do some...thats why it takes a little longer....

Yeah, I got that email over two weeks ago about the covers and they were supposedly shipping that week. The thing is that they specifically posted on their site that they weren't doing pre-orders anymore. They would only sell it when it's ready. If they didn't have the shit ready to go out the door then it's a pre-order, no matter what excuses they give. I paid for this stuff over five weeks ago, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect my records. ::)

modern action sent out an email saying the covers got messed up and they had to re-do some...thats why it takes a little longer....

Yeah, I got that email over two weeks ago about the covers and they were supposedly shipping that week. The thing is that they specifically posted on their site that they weren't doing pre-orders anymore. They would only sell it when it's ready. If they didn't have the shit ready to go out the door then it's a pre-order, no matter what excuses they give. I paid for this stuff over five weeks ago, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect my records. ::)

don´t quote em on a week....they sent out an explanation which is way better than many other labels.....also everything´s done DIY etc. so bear with em...

don´t quote em on a week....they sent out an explanation which is way better than many other labels.....also everything´s done DIY etc. so bear with em...

Yeah, I know compared to other labels/distros they aren't bad. I just wanna listen to Smogtown and the Neighborhood Brats! Maybe today will be the lucky day.

FYI: Email from Modern Action:

To all MAR faithful,

first off all, thanks for your most recent order and any past orders that youve placed with us....we are well aware (as im sure you all are too) that our shipping performance over the past year has been poor at best. we are somewhat hopeful that our end product has somewhat compensated this deficiency. sometimes its been because of us doing pre-orders, other times its been printing mistakes, pressing errors, etc, other times weve bit off more than we could chew and were overwhelmed and others its been due to just plain laziness (hey it is punk rock after all). not that we want to excuse ourselves, but it does take a lot of time to do things the way we do them and in addition, we have put out a lot more releases much quicker than we originally intended to - which, in the end, is a positive thing. anyways, to make an already long story short, we realize that we cannot continue to operate this way if we wanna keep our loyal customers happy. we enjoy doing this and need you to keep this going....so,(i know, i know, youve heard it before) in the future, WE WILL NOT OFFER ANYTHING FOR SALE UNLESS IT IS SITTING ON OUR SHELVES READY TO SHIP! i know we said this last time, which was partially true, we had the cds, we had the vinyl, we had the regular covers and just had to pick up the silk screened covers which ended up having to be redone...so we were pretty close to being correct, but this just taught us that we cant leave anything to chance....

As for your most current orders - heres the skinny: we did finally get the correct finished silk screened covers about 2 weeks ago....we still had to wax em, assemble em, etc. then package/ship the orders...we have been doing it daily for the last two weeks...every day making post office runs and shipping out a stack of orders....a lot of you have already got your orders...others will be getting them today and others tomorrow....every day weve been shipping out orders....after our post office run this morning, we have finished sending out all outstanding orders, so i repeat, EVERY SINGLE ORDER HAS SHIPPED....once again we apologize and thank you for the patience and the order.....please let us know when your package arrives, so we can now begin to rest easier at nite....

Yep, I wrote them before this was sent out and Johnny wrote me back, actually two emails to apologize and let me know what was happening. I really appreciated that. I am glad that they realize there is a problem and that they are moving forward to fix it. This is what it takes to make a good record company great. Looking forward to buying from them again.

• 1 month later...

Never did get my order sent emails to them...responded to my 1st one and heard nothing else. I'm not happy with them at all.....didn't even give me a tracking #. Sent one more email today...hope to get it handled....sure they don't have any extras...but would be nice to at least be refunded or credited towards my next order....IF I order again.....never had problems before though