PO: David Bazan - Strange Negotiations

I wonder if Barsuk will do a special color or package pre-order like they did for RaRa Riot. The instant mp3s are very tempting but I think I'll wait to see if it's released with a special 7"or some other bonus somewhere else. The new songs he played at a recent house show I went to were really, really good and May 24 cannot come soon enough.

Last night, via twitter, I asked Bazan "will Barsuk be doing something special for the Strange Negotiations preorder? Or is undertow the way to go?"

He responded "undertow is the place to get it"

I still might hold off. I'd love to hear it right now but funds are tight and I'm not 100% confident that Barsuk won't do anything special.

there won't be any extra bonus material with the Bazan record. We decided the same album will be available to everyone. No bonus tracks for itunes, no extra stuff later, no tricks to get someone to buy a particular format or buy from a particular place.

We had a bonus 7" on the last album. But after it was gone we started feeling bad for people who missed out. Does not seem fair that someone who discovers Bazan a few weeks or months after the release date is penalized somehow.

And it does not seem fair to have bonus stuff on itunes either... people who prefer vinyl get penalized in that situation.

We thought the best solution was to make the same content available everywhere.

Plus, all of the songs he recorded during the sessions are on the album. so there's not really any bonus material anyway.

The album you buy today will be the same album someone else buys next month or next year.

If anyone cares... usually, the best place to buy records is direct from the artist.. in this case Undertow since we run his web store. Bazan sees all of the profit from sales pretty quickly. Buying direct from Barsuk is also good. About the same amount per record goes to Bazan. But it takes a little longer to get to him on his royalty statement. But in the end... it really doesn't matter where you buy it. As long as you buy it! iTunes, record stores, etc... The money eventually gets to Bazan because we have an honest record label and a fair deal with them.

I know everyone thinks record labels are evil don't pay the bands... so they use that excuse to steal music. But that's not our situation. Bazan gets accurate royalties in a timely manner from every label he's been associated with over the years. Every record sale really does count.

if something else gets recorded between now and the summer tour, it'll be available to anyone who buys the record (previous and future) by way of download.

We didn't know Amazon was discounting the LP price. We were told by Barsuk the retail price is $18. I'm checking to see if we can adjust our price.

it's a nice LP. gatefold sleeve. matte paper. TW walsh did a separate hi-res master for the LP using no digital limiting. Lacquers were cut by Bob Westin at Chicago mastering direct from 24/96 files (same resolution used when recording). So there's no generation loss. We went through a couple of rounds of test pressings to make sure it sounded good.

hope this helps.

Bob

oh i would DL the album now illegaly but still totally buy it on vinyl to support david, cause hes such an amazing person/artist. i just cant wait to hear the record and cant afford the physical copy now!

thanks for your feedback bob, its a lot more than other labels give and it shows you care. +1