Rosetta- Galilean satellites

22 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

uhhh no lol.  Truthfully I wanted either just the music, or the music combined with the ambient.  What the fuck is the point of having a complementary release that requires 2 turntables?  Maybe 11 people have that kind of set up who listen to this stuff lol. 

Same, though I realized from your response that you (and probably Translation Loss) misunderstood my question.  Set 1 is a stand alone product that contains the first half of the album songs and the first half of the album ambient pieces.  Set 2 is a separate stand alone product that contains the second half of the album songs and the second half of the ambient pieces.  You can buy one or the other or both (or both with the bonus LP in the boxset).

21 minutes ago, whoa said:

No one would have complained if they just did a repress of the album without any of this nonsense of splitting it like they've done. Like, literally no one would complain if they did a 2xLP repress and an additional 2xLP ambient/instrumentals as apart of a box set. 

Right?

25 minutes ago, whoa said:

But is this a fresh master? I wonder if Europa is still split between sides.

I'm 99% certain it is a new master, take a look at the likely tracklist I posted on the previous page.

I get not wanting to split Europa, and I get wanting to be able to present the songs separate from the ambiance.  But I don't get why you'd break them up like that.  And to a lesser extent I was hoping the boxset had a third set with the songs and ambiance mixed.

25 minutes ago, daegor said:

Same, though I realized from your response that you (and probably Translation Loss) misunderstood my question.  Set 1 is a stand alone product that contains the first half of the album songs and the first half of the album ambient pieces.  Set 2 is a separate stand alone product that contains the second half of the album songs and the second half of the ambient pieces.  You can buy one or the other or both (or both with the bonus LP in the boxset).

Right?

I'm 99% certain it is a new master, take a look at the likely tracklist I posted on the previous page.

I get not wanting to split Europa, and I get wanting to be able to present the songs separate from the ambiance.  But I don't get why you'd break them up like that.  And to a lesser extent I was hoping the boxset had a third set with the songs and ambiance mixed.

No no i understood your question.  You have to buy the album twice to get the full album, which is kind of stupid.  I will probably never listen to the ambient stuff.

and i just literally realized I spent $75 on one album.  lol.  Fuck me.  I hate life. 

12 minutes ago, anchorlessbodies said:

Ordered the box set earlier today without being able to read the full description properly. Hopefully just listening the album without the ambient is not so underwhelming as I imagine now...

It's not underwhelming, I greatly prefer the mixed version but the truth is that the unmixed is still very good, it's just a little more... straight forward?

I'll be quite happy listening unmixed, and even if there was a mixed version offered I'd want the ambient as a stand alone.  I really love Armine's ambient and noise work and am stoked to have a full album of it on vinyl.

Just went boxset for now, might end up getting the stand alone if they last long enough. 

I understand the gripes with the press but it's honestly how the band wanted it, and how it was originally presented. I've seen Rosetta over 15 times and they are a hometown band, I'm in love with them and so Im sucker for anything concerning them. They have trapped me.

5 minutes ago, davepriz said:

But like even if I had two turntables this still wouldn't even work because the corresponding ambient part would be on the opposite side of the currently playing record...

Right?

Aren't the ambient tracks played on the second corresponding LP?

e.g. A side of first LP played along with C side of second LP

9 hours ago, daegor said:

Fucking jealous dude.  They rolled through town on this last tour and it was pure bliss.  Rad dudes too, I had them crash at my house.

Thats awesome, yea really great guys! The benefit of living really close to Philly, all the band's I love from here I go every time. Seen Mewithoutyou around 15 times as well.

So.... after thinking about this, I realized why they split the release up:  Money.

Nobody would buy just the ambient record.  I know I wouldn't.  We all just want the regular music, and a mix version.  This way, they guarantee more cashflow by requiring you to buy the album twice.  I mean I just spent $75 on one fucking album with 2 bonus tracks.  That's fucking absurd. 

Maybe I'll just play the ambient tracks on my computer whenever I play the album, because it's stupid to expect people to have 2 turntables. 

Depite the fact this album split is not the way I'd really expect it to be released and am not happy about, but.. the direction this thread goes is so repetitive, that is almost funny. What exactly? For the past few years (maybe even close to ten?)  people wait for a particular album, claim they would pay any money for this only if it's not a black market price, prey for it and so on. Then it is finally released and bitching starts. It's either too pricey, pressed in wrong colours/splatter, art is bad, etc. I'm pretty sure you all have seen that before ;)

I ordered box, would also get the single ones, but yeah, money.

Original pressing plus test presses must be enough :P

9 hours ago, seku said:

Depite the fact this album split is not the way I'd really expect it to be released and am not happy about, but.. the direction this thread goes is so repetitive, that is almost funny. What exactly? For the past few years (maybe even close to ten?)  people wait for a particular album, claim they would pay any money for this only if it's not a black market price, prey for it and so on. Then it is finally released and bitching starts. It's either too pricey, pressed in wrong colours/splatter, art is bad, etc. I'm pretty sure you all have seen that before ;)

I ordered box, would also get the single ones, but yeah, money.

Original pressing plus test presses must be enough :P

It speaks to expectations I guess.  We were expecting the regular album, not something entirely new and unfamiliar.  People don't like change.

Either way, it is a very pricey item when we could have had the album for a 2xLP for $30 ;) 

30 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

It speaks to my expectations I guess.  We were I was expecting the regular album, not something entirely new and unfamiliar.  People I don't like change.

Speak for yourself.

I simply found the whole arrangement odd.  I bought it, and have no regrets about buying it.  If it was presented as the songs separate from the instrumentals I still would have bought both.  If the mixed version was available I would have bought all three.

I personally love Armine's ambient work and have probably listened to the instrumentals for Galilean more than the songs themselves.  Something you have to understand, the band never intended to release the album mixed, it was always supposed to be separate.  After people were (poorly) mixing the audio themselves and sharing it online they put out the album mixed on a blank CDr at shows with 'TGSV2.0' sharpied on it.  I suspect the people behind the decision NOT to press a mixed version of the album are in the band.

1 minute ago, daegor said:

Speak for yourself.

I simply found the whole arrangement odd.  I bought it, and have no regrets about buying it.  If it was presented as the songs separate from the instrumentals I still would have bought both.  If the mixed version was available I would have bought all three.

I personally love Armine's ambient work and have probably listened to the instrumentals for Galilean more than the songs themselves.  Something you have to understand, the band never intended to release the album mixed, it was always supposed to be separate.  After people were (poorly) mixing the audio themselves and sharing it online they put out the album mixed on a blank CDr at shows with 'TGSV2.0' sharpied on it.  I suspect the people behind the decision NOT to press a mixed version of the album are in the band.

lol just hypothesizing about Seku's point man.  I mean, if you say you expected this arrangement I will call you a liar :P 

I bought it too haha, so obviously i want it.  But it brings up a question for me, because my understanding of the ambient tracks was that they were made to be played over the regular album.  So why wouldn't you want people to mix them together?  Is it just some crazy DIY ethos where you're supposed to work extra harder to hear them together, rather than having the band do it for you?

Because when I heard the mixed version for the first time on the Deadender's release, it blew me away.  It's fucking incredible, and elevates the album to an entirely new level. 

18 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

lol just hypothesizing about Seku's point man.  I mean, if you say you expected this arrangement I will call you a liar :P 

Oh no, I didn't expect it, but I didn't bother me either.

18 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

But it brings up a question for me, because my understanding of the ambient tracks was that they were made to be played over the regular album.  So why wouldn't you want people to mix them together?  Is it just some crazy DIY ethos where you're supposed to work extra harder to hear them together, rather than having the band do it for you?

Basically yeah (that's my read on it anyway).  I mean, look at the Tool's 10,000 days thing, it was years before anyone realized the songs could be layered.