Rosetta- Galilean satellites

On 11/20/2017 at 1:48 PM, Gumbo72203 said:

It speaks to expectations I guess.  We were expecting the regular album, not something entirely new and unfamiliar.  People don't like change.

I REALLLLLY think you missed the point and original intent of the album. I'm happy, many people are. Please stop.

"The album is two disks long and the track lengths on each disc correspond to each other, indicating that the band intended the albums to be played at the same time. Disc one is in a post-metal style while disc two is ambient noise." 

"Originally, the band intended to record a standard one-disc album and use the ambient pieces as segues; however, the band had enough material and the approval from Translation Loss to record a second disc."

28 minutes ago, JRHews said:

I REALLLLLY think you missed the point and original intent of the album. I'm happy, many people are. Please stop.

This.

I really feel like I opened a can of worms questioning the presentation.  My questioning was based out of curiosity (and even excitement), not disappointment.

3 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I think they may have shot themselves in the foot again with this, just like the Wake/Lift represses.  No way this is selling out anytime soon at all.  I can't believe we waited this long, and the copies are all still available.  Never thought in a million years I'd see that. 

I think you may be overestimating the popularity of Rosetta.  Even among people familiar with this genre of music, they’re hardly a household name.

Hey

Long time lurker, first time poster. Figured this was as good an opportunity as any to post, given Rosetta are one of my all time favourite bands. 

Definitely got over excited when this pre order went live and misread it as a combined version. On that note does anyone have a lossless / high quality version of TGSV.02 knocking around?

41 minutes ago, only_shallow said:

Hey

Long time lurker, first time poster. Figured this was as good an opportunity as any to post, given Rosetta are one of my all time favourite bands. 

Definitely got over excited when this pre order went live and misread it as a combined version. On that note does anyone have a lossless / high quality version of TGSV.02 knocking around?

If you pay for A Dead-Ender's Reunion you get a lossless copy of it (along with a TON of other rare tracks)

https://theanaesthete.bandcamp.com/album/a-dead-enders-reunion

24 minutes ago, daegor said:

If you pay for A Dead-Ender's Reunion you get a lossless copy of it (along with a TON of other rare tracks)

https://theanaesthete.bandcamp.com/album/a-dead-enders-reunion

Excellent, thanks. I’ve had the full version of that for a little while now but could never get the lossless copy to download (on a Mac and having never used a torrent service before).  I think I’m probably paying for my technological incompetence! 

7 hours ago, daegor said:

This.

I really feel like I opened a can of worms questioning the presentation.  My questioning was based out of curiosity (and even excitement), not disappointment.

I mean, I don't think I'd say I'm disappointed either haha.  Maybe it's hard to tell via text... it can be interpreted so many ways.  I'm definitely psyched to get this, just rather perplexed at the decision is all.  I was just speculating as to why some people might be bummed or confused. 

4 hours ago, Derek™ said:

I think you may be overestimating the popularity of Rosetta.  Even among people familiar with this genre of music, they’re hardly a household name.

You think so?  That's surprising to me.  I was totally expecting these to be gone in like 24 hours haha

15 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I think they may have shot themselves in the foot again with this, just like the Wake/Lift represses. 

Can you elaborate on this, I don't get what was wrong with W/L repress?

Talking about popularity/demand. I remember talking to Mike few years ago, that they couldn't get rid of W/F vinyl, taking them on tour again and again. Right after it sold out (after years, literally), forums were screaming for repress, aftermarket prices sky-rocketed and all. Finally, when the repress happened, it didn't sold out immediately. Why? Because there is no demand for 500 copies now as there was no demand years back. First 100 copies would sell in a minutes, but whatever we think of Rosetta or other similar favourite band of ours, they are not that big, unfortunately.

13 minutes ago, seku said:

Talking about popularity/demand. I remember talking to Mike few years ago, that they couldn't get rid of W/F vinyl, taking them on tour again and again. Right after it sold out (after years, literally), forums were screaming for repress, aftermarket prices sky-rocketed and all. Finally, when the repress happened, it didn't sold out immediately. Why? Because there is no demand for 500 copies now as there was no demand years back. First 100 copies would sell in a minutes, but whatever we think of Rosetta or other similar favourite band of ours, they are not that big, unfortunately.

True, I always wonder why bands dont make 300 or 250 and just call it a fucking day, I would rather have it go quick than not at all. 

11 hours ago, seku said:

Interesting!  See, my position is based on an outsider, coming at this from not being around when the seminal albums (TGS, W/L and ADOM) were released.  All I know is that I see the prices on Discogs and Ebay being silly, which to me indicates a massive demand.  I also see people on facebook pining for represses of ADOM and TGS.... and then TGS drops, and it doesn't sell out. 

My theory on the Wake/Lift pressing is that they made generic colors.  I have 2 copies of the Rainbow Splatter 1st press, and if they had made some cool artistic variant for the repress, I would have picked that up in a heart beat, because I like collecting vinyl as pieces of art as well as musical mediums.  But with a standard solid opaque color that doesn't interest me artistically, I passed. 

I guess I just feel like if they made some cool multi-color swirl or splatter variant, people would be jumping more for it, given how much I had to pay to get my Rainbow Splatters.  Again, just a theory!  My conception of Rosetta is that their fans are rabid vinyl collectors, and if they don't sell out, then there is something wrong with the release that did not appeal to their fan base.  But perhaps that is erroneous.  Again, just theories!  I just like talking about this stuff is all.  Don't read any condemnation into it lol. 

11 hours ago, MayCauseDeath said:

True, I always wonder why bands dont make 300 or 250 and just call it a fucking day, I would rather have it go quick than not at all. 

It kills me that In The Clouds only did 100 for the Athletics repress.  I had that shit in my cart, checked out on Paypal, and then was bumped back to the site saying it was sold out.  :::throws computer:::

47 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

My theory on the Wake/Lift pressing is that they made generic colors.  I have 2 copies of the Rainbow Splatter 1st press, and if they had made some cool artistic variant for the repress, I would have picked that up in a heart beat, because I like collecting vinyl as pieces of art as well as musical mediums.  But with a standard solid opaque color that doesn't interest me artistically, I passed. 

I agree with this 100% i really wanted wake/lift because i didnt have it so I purchased it. However, I was really dissapointed in the boring ass color choices. If they were cool colors it would have flew. 

2 hours ago, MayCauseDeath said:

I agree with this 100% i really wanted wake/lift because i didnt have it so I purchased it. However, I was really dissapointed in the boring ass color choices. If they were cool colors it would have flew. 

Yeah, that's what I'm saying.  I was rather perplexed by their choice for that, given how utterly sick the first pressing variants are.  It just felt like a step back is all, when they could have blown it out of the park.  Notice how everything they're doing now is merges with splatters and all this crazy stuff for the YLVA record, WLTS, TGS, etc etc. 

So they should've done the 4lp boxset as a limited of like 200 and the mix 2lp 500 on black, 250 on 2 different colour variants... possibly makes more sense... 

I can see why they have done it this way though the 2 albums are meant to exist individually as wholes and together as a whole, and if you buy the box you get an extra lp...

4 hours ago, 2notepockets said:

So they should've done the 4lp boxset as a limited of like 200 and the mix 2lp 500 on black, 250 on 2 different colour variants... possibly makes more sense... 

I can see why they have done it this way though the 2 albums are meant to exist individually as wholes and together as a whole, and if you buy the box you get an extra lp...

Yeah, I don't know... just a weird selection to me haha.  I'm psyched to hear this finally....  I can't fucking wait.  CANT fucking wait.  I hope the variants look sick too.  The half/half for the box set sounds really promising but every half/half I've ever had always has a super high noise floor on one side which is kind of a bummer, I hope it doesn't interfere with the quiet sections on this album. 

• 3 months later...

So my boxset just came!  The music sounds great, although holy hell when the needle passes over the gray portion on LP 1, the noise is massive!  You can hear it over Europa and Absent's intros and quieter parts too which is kind of a bummer. 

The music itself sounds fucking badass though.  May need to spring for the splatter regular editions now to rectify this.  Death to half-half records!!!

Also curious is that the bonus LP has no jacket, it's just stored in an anti-static sleeve in the box.  The regular LP's do not come in anti-static sleeves for some reason.  The bonus LP is also not the advertised color, it is a 50/50 split of highlighter yellow and metallic silver, rather than highlighter yellow with heavy silver splatter. 

It's very nice to finally hear this material on vinyl though because the music portion is fucking incredible. 

Received my box today and it is as you described above. I could've swore I read that the 2nd LP set had splatter over the blue/yellow split, but checking TLR's website, that is not the case, whether they revised it, or I am just crazy. Kinda wish I went with the regular editions. Box is nice and all, but the variants are leaving a lot to be desired. Oh well...time to spin!

20 hours ago, EquinoxDesignLab said:

Received my box today and it is as you described above. I could've swore I read that the 2nd LP set had splatter over the blue/yellow split, but checking TLR's website, that is not the case, whether they revised it, or I am just crazy. Kinda wish I went with the regular editions. Box is nice and all, but the variants are leaving a lot to be desired. Oh well...time to spin!

Did they change the website?  I had messaged them about it.... the original was supposed to be highlighter yellow/green (they look the same to me lol) with heavy silver splatter.  That's a large reason why I went with the boxset too.  Will be picking up the regular editions at some point and selling this box. 

Please let me know how yours sounds with the noise on the metallic silver portion!

On 17/11/2017 at 10:53 AM, Gumbo72203 said:

Just so you guys are aware, I bought the box set but if any of you guys get the splatter sets and want to trade in the future, I will do that.  I just want to hear LP5 once or twice.  I hate half/half records because they always have a high noise floor on one side. 

12 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Did they change the website?  I had messaged them about it.... the original was supposed to be highlighter yellow/green (they look the same to me lol) with heavy silver splatter.  That's a large reason why I went with the boxset too.  Will be picking up the regular editions at some point and selling this box. 

Please let me know how yours sounds with the noise on the metallic silver portion!

I spun mine today and other than being on the more quiet side, its flawless. I didn't hear any indication of it being two colors or discrepancy from one to the other half/half. Was a great experience and one of the first times i have ever listened straight thru. 

(Here comes the jinx) I have never had an issue with half: half or triangle 3 color or tricolor like Nothing: GoE (playing copy is red:Black: red or vice versa). Same here, and really don't care about the color. Still more of a collector thing since I can't really appreciate a sound difference from the OG. $70 to TRL.