Pro-ject Debut III vs Rega RP1

What about the Pro-Ject Essential?

http://www.needledoctor.com/Pro-Ject-Essential-Turntable-in-Black?sc=10&category=-110

Edit: I don't think $70 is enough savings to warrant getting the Essential over the Debut III.

Edit: Reading this now:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=295505

Cliff Notes:

Buy a used higher end model

MMF best out of the box

®P1 has best upgrade path

dont you have to on one of them manually put back the tone arm? I think that would bug me..

i'm pretty sure that neither of these are automatic.

i thought it would be annoying at first (coming from a crappy automatic one), but it's not at all. it's actually more satisfying.

That makes me feel a little better than. I'm currently deciding between these two as well. That audiokarma thread is pretty helpful

That audiokarma thread is pretty helpful

I don't know if I'd say that. The one guy kept asking the upgrade-ability question, but it had already been answered. Then they started talking about which model would be the best to upgrade without the wife noticing. Then the upgrade guy ended up getting a Technics 1200!

The Rega RP1 replaced the P1 which, until recently, was about the same in quality and value as a Debut III. Supposedly the RP1 uses some kind of new composite material in the platter that makes it better than the plywood used in the Pro-Ject table and the old P1.

None of these tables have automatic return and I believe that both of them require you to remove the platter to switch between 33.3 and 45rpm. It's not for everyone, but honestly if you can't be troubled to manually drop a needle, you probably don't appreciate the format enough to need an audiophile table anyway and would be better served with with something from Technics or Audio-Technica.

i have the RP1 and absolutely love it. i upgraded from an automatic sony turntable and the difference is unbelievable. not sure how it compares to the pro-ject debut. i love the manual control--dropping the needle, changing the speed, etc. the biggest thing that sucked in upgrading was that not only did i have to buy turntable itself ($400+), but also a phono pre-amp (my previous turntable had one built in). thank god for financing.