vinyl

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only saying "records" is idiotic. It's perfectly acceptable within the culture of record collecting but once you take it outside the subculture it just seems unconscionably retarded.

Imagine it on another medium. Let's say there's a subculture that enjoys movies in the reel-to-reel format. Now imagine that they think these should be called "films." So now anytime a movie is referred to as a film it's somehow incorrect if they're talking about anything other than a reel-to-reel.

All the people here who complain/make fun of/jump on other people who say "vinyl" are a bunch of dumb elitist fucks who just want to be part of a "cool club" because

a) they collect vinyl (because, you know, in 2011, the coolness factor of collecting vinyl hasn't completely been exhausted)

and

B) they want to flaunt that they are hardcore enough to know that it's "vinyl" and not "vinyl" and that only n00bs call it "vinyl"

so I reiterate, if you're still complaining about people saying "vinyl," you're a fucking idiot. that shit is just as played out as much as complaints about Gaslight Anthem and Reinventing Axl Rose variants

Knowing to say vinyl instead of vinyl has nothing to do with being cool or elitist. It's just knowing the English language.

Only saying "records" is idiotic. It's perfectly acceptable within the culture of record collecting but once you take it outside the subculture it just seems unconscionably retarded

I would say the complete opposite is true. Most normal people still know what record collecting is. They might not know what you are talking about if you say you collect vinyl or "vinyl".

I love when people say vinyl. It means I can charge them $10 more for a record than I could normally get away with.

Wikipedia.

A gramophone record, commonly known as a phonograph record (in American English), vinyl record (in reference to vinyl), or colloquially, a record, is an analog sound storage medium consisting of a flat disc with an inscribed, modulated spiral groove.

C'mon raiden. Saying record is not idiotic it is correct.

I say this every time this comes up because this is the best example I have heard. Vinyl is the material a record is made of. If you have more that one record you are pluralizing the item not the material hence vinyl records. If you are discussing leather wallets you don't say I have a bunch of leathers you say wallets. Leather Wallets / Vinyl Records / Black Cats / Floral Pillowcases.