vinyl

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the people here who complain/make fun of/jump on other people who say "vinyl" are a bunch of dumb elitist fucks who just want to be part of a "cool club" because

a) they collect vinyl (because, you know, in 2011, the coolness factor of collecting vinyl hasn't completely been exhausted)

and

B) they want to flaunt that they are hardcore enough to know that it's "vinyl" and not "vinyl" and that only n00bs call it "vinyl"

so I reiterate, if you're still complaining about people saying "vinyl," you're a fucking idiot. that shit is just as played out as much as complaints about Gaslight Anthem and Reinventing Axl Rose variants

Well friend, you're wrong.

You see, it's my job to teach people how to use countable and uncountable nouns.

The question is as follows: is vinyl like water and cannot take an s or is it like chocolate?

I hope to spearhead an multicultural movement to keep vinyl uncountable. Let us say records.

Those who disagree may walk the plank.

Furthermore, I digress.

All the people here who complain/make fun of/jump on other people who say "vinyl" are a bunch of dumb elitist fucks who just want to be part of a "cool club" because

a) they collect vinyl (because, you know, in 2011, the coolness factor of collecting vinyl hasn't completely been exhausted)

and

B) they want to flaunt that they are hardcore enough to know that it's "vinyl" and not "vinyl" and that only n00bs call it "vinyl"

so I reiterate, if you're still complaining about people saying "vinyl," you're a fucking idiot. that shit is just as played out as much as complaints about Gaslight Anthem and Reinventing Axl Rose variants

You see, it's my job to teach people how to use countable and uncountable nouns.

The question is as follows: is vinyl like water and cannot take an s or is it like chocolate?

I hope to spearhead an multicultural movement to keep vinyl uncountable. Let us say records.

Furthermore, I digress.

whatever, dick. don't you have a city to rebuild?

Knowing to say vinyl instead of vinyl has nothing to do with being cool or elitist. It's just knowing the English language.
Only saying "records" is idiotic. It's perfectly acceptable within the culture of record collecting but once you take it outside the subculture it just seems unconscionably retarded

I would say the complete opposite is true. Most normal people still know what record collecting is. They might not know what you are talking about if you say you collect vinyl or "vinyl".

This is what I wanted to say but my head is all funny now because it's 3:27 am.

Furthermore, I digress.

So you're not going to say records?

That's too bad. A darn shame.

Knowing to say vinyl instead of vinyl has nothing to do with being cool or elitist. It's just knowing the English language.

I would say the complete opposite is true. Most normal people still know what record collecting is. They might not know what you are talking about if you say you collect vinyl or "vinyl".

This is what I wanted to say but my head is all funny now because it's 3:27 am.

Shop Radio Cast still waking you up in the middle of the night huh?

I use the word ya'll and have no shame. When irregardless was added to the dictionary I found validation that I was a pioneer in the words use, not that I needed Websters to make me feel sane. vinyl will likely be around for a long time and eventually join the accepted vernacular despite your best efforts. I say get in early and feel good later.

I love when people say vinyl. It means I can charge them $10 more for a record than I could normally get away with.

Wikipedia.

A gramophone record, commonly known as a phonograph record (in American English), vinyl record (in reference to vinyl), or colloquially, a record, is an analog sound storage medium consisting of a flat disc with an inscribed, modulated spiral groove.

C'mon raiden. Saying record is not idiotic it is correct.

I say this every time this comes up because this is the best example I have heard. Vinyl is the material a record is made of. If you have more that one record you are pluralizing the item not the material hence vinyl records. If you are discussing leather wallets you don't say I have a bunch of leathers you say wallets. Leather Wallets / Vinyl Records / Black Cats / Floral Pillowcases.

Isn't there a Grammy for "best record"?

I use the word ya'll and have no shame. When irregardless was added to the dictionary I found validation that I was a pioneer in the words use, not that I needed Websters to make me feel sane. vinyl will likely be around for a long time and eventually join the accepted vernacular despite your best efforts. I say get in early and feel good later.

Lots of fail happening in this post. Ya'll is not a word, you must be referring to y'all. Irregardless is in the Webster dictionary, but it noted as nonstandard. "Use regardless instead."

I was going to write a long response but I suppose a conversation on the organic nature of language isn't appropriate for a thread dissecting the use of vinyl. I'll withdraw all comment and simply add that "vinyl" doesn't bother me at all. It might be wrong but I fully understand what is being communicated and critiquing language on message boards is tiresome.

I love when people say vinyl. It means I can charge them $10 more for a record than I could normally get away with.

Wikipedia.

A gramophone record, commonly known as a phonograph record (in American English), vinyl record (in reference to vinyl), or colloquially, a record, is an analog sound storage medium consisting of a flat disc with an inscribed, modulated spiral groove.

C'mon raiden. Saying record is not idiotic it is correct.

I say this every time this comes up because this is the best example I have heard. Vinyl is the material a record is made of. If you have more that one record you are pluralizing the item not the material hence vinyl records. If you are discussing leather wallets you don't say I have a bunch of leathers you say wallets. Leather Wallets / Vinyl Records / Black Cats / Floral Pillowcases.

Isn't there a Grammy for "best record"?

# Record of the Year is awarded for a single or for one track from an album. This award goes to the performing artist, the producer, recording engineer, and/or mixer for that song. In this sense, "record" means a recording of one song, not the composition or an album of songs. Often, the nominees and winners of this song represent the most successful songs of the year.

# Song of the Year is also awarded for a single or individual track, but the recipient of this award is the songwriter who actually created the song in the first place. Thus, "song" in this context means the song as written, not its recording.

# Album of the Year is awarded for a whole album, and the award is presented to the artist, producer, recording engineer, and mastering engineer for that album. So, in this context, "album" means a recorded collection of songs (a multi-track LP, CD, or download package), not the individual songs or their compositions.

However, there are these things called homonyms. They are words that share the same spelling and the same pronunciation but have different meanings. So record can mean a vinyl record or the recording of one song.

I'm going to continue to say vinyl all day just because I like to. ;D

can we talk about 'there, their, they're' some more?

They're, their Allison. There anger shouldn't get in the way of what their trying to say.

This! LOL! +1

Wow. Cheap shot dude. Even for a message board.