question about keeping vinyl in good condition

when purchasing new vinyl (from say a store, or sealed from a seller) there is often shrink wrap or plastic around the record.

aside from double lps in which fold outward, do you usually keep the plastic on to avoid damages?

just wondering because most of my records i still have the plastic on but i do have friends that just take it all off.

thanks!

I think it's better to take the shrink off and put them in a thick poly sleeve. When kept in the shrink, the edge isn't protected, and some people think the tight wrap even causes wear on the jacket. I like the act of pulling the jacket out of a nice plastic sleeve every time I listen to it, and I think old records with the original shrink look kind of trashy.

PS: I get 25 poly sleeves for $5 from my local record store, but people on here can recommend places to buy them online as well.

Guest cewillm

I generally pull the shrink wrap off for albums that I predict will never be collectable or rare. For the rare ones I use an x-acto knife to cut the open edge of the album cover open. I am also careful to cut perforations on the side of the shrink wrap in order to relieve some of the stress it imparts on the cover when the LP is removed.

If you decide to remove the album from the shrink wrap, you can cut out any stickers that were on it and slip them inside the album cover. It's better than just throwing them out.

I agree that it's important to put albums in poly sleeves. I make sure that the open end of the poly bag is not facing the same way as the open end of the album cover. Usually this means that the poly bag is facing up and the album cover opens to the "rear" when stored vertically, but some album covers open from the top so I have to reverse it. It helps to keep the dust out.

The only time I have a hard time debating whether or not to take the shrink wrap off is if there is a sticker on it with the pressing's details on it (pressing amount/ltd. color/etc.) Feels like that's something I'd want in the future. I debate it every time, but I generally hate shrink wrap on records. It pulls and bends the corners sometimes too.