The good years of TV shows

Which side of M.A.S.H are you WTF?ing?

Every season had some good episodes, but the bad ones later on were just fucking awful.

once alan alda took over the writing after the original writers quit. and then it became serious and lost it's comedy edge.. around the 5th or 6th season i think. i can't remember. it's been so long.

i will say this, Burns was such a better ham than anyone on that show.

and another thing "Spearchucker Jones". Fuck!!!

i'm gonna disagree with ya on Law & Order SVU. how do you hate on that cast. I think every episode is at least good. it's a revolving door of sub-plots every now and again which make it a bit more involved and exciting. and how are you gonna hate on ICE -T and Richard Belzer? haha. but since meloni is gone, i'm bummed. at least now i have "Law & Order" original series.

Ice-T and Belzer are great but that's kinda the problem. The early episodes were about the entire cast, not just Benson and Stabler. At this point in the series Ice-T and Belzer usually contribute one or two lines per episode not counting the "roundtable discussions". Example, Benson and Stabler are talking and Ice-T chirps in that he just answered the phone and got some important info. THANKS A LOT SECRETARY COP KILLA!

The "roundtable discussions" are that moment in every freakin episode where the entire cast sit around and spend 15 seconds discussing the morality of whatever the issue of the week is. It's normally very politically motivated and despite personally being a liberal, it makes me uncomfortable to hear Dick Wolf's liberal ramblings in this manner.

The last thing that made the last few years suck is that the stories are just uninteresting and poorly conceived. Remember those episodes where they spend the entire time tracking down the criminal and/or a tricky prosecution? Those are gone. Here's what we get now.

Scenario #1: They find the killer/attacker halfway through the episode, then they find out that they aren't responsible but rather a large corporation made a drug or someone abused them, and somehow they are to blame.

Scenario #2: Rampant vigilantism. For whatever reason half the time the Special Victims Unit catches someone the victim shows up with a gun and kills them. At this point they shouldn't even be surprised.

i'm gonna disagree with ya on Law & Order SVU. how do you hate on that cast. I think every episode is at least good. it's a revolving door of sub-plots every now and again which make it a bit more involved and exciting. and how are you gonna hate on ICE -T and Richard Belzer? haha. but since meloni is gone, i'm bummed. at least now i have "Law & Order" original series.

Ice-T and Belzer are great but that's kinda the problem. The early episodes were about the entire cast, not just Benson and Stabler. At this point in the series Ice-T and Belzer usually contribute one or two lines per episode not counting the "roundtable discussions". Example, Benson and Stabler are talking and Ice-T chirps in that he just answered the phone and got some important info. THANKS A LOT SECRETARY COP KILLA!

The "roundtable discussions" are that moment in every freakin episode where the entire cast sit around and spend 15 seconds discussing the morality of whatever the issue of the week is. It's normally very politically motivated and despite personally being a liberal, it makes me uncomfortable to hear Dick Wolf's liberal ramblings in this manner.

The last thing that made the last few years suck is that the stories are just uninteresting and poorly conceived. Remember those episodes where they spend the entire time tracking down the criminal and/or a tricky prosecution? Those are gone. Here's what we get now.

Scenario #1: They find the killer/attacker halfway through the episode, then they find out that they aren't responsible but rather a large corporation made a drug or someone abused them, and somehow they are to blame.

Scenario #2: Rampant vigilantism. For whatever reason half the time the Special Victims Unit catches someone the victim shows up with a gun and kills them. At this point they shouldn't even be surprised.

those scenerios are quite on par, but that's not entirely every episode, but maybe a few per season. the last several seasons have evolved into different prototype formulas that delved from the norm. where chasing suspects running different paths lead to catching the actual criminal. much like "cold case". some cases involving outside help as the fbi and cameos from old detectives from different precincts who have looked back on past cases (eps) to figure out criteria to see how the perp thinks. sometimes using decoys to catch them. hell even fin's got his lead detective eps. though i can't remember if munch does in the last 2 seasons. though i do know he does get them from time to time. personall, i've found it quite refreshing. but that's just me. i did notice less courtroom drama though. which is what i love about the original series.

but i do applaud you for being such a law & order fan. not too many out there that follow something like the show with detail. i've been a sucker since i was in high school. overall i'm more a fan of the original series lately though.. and well law & order LA? . c'mon.. that's just weird.

Weeds Seasons 1 & 2.. no need to see anything after that

i've gotta say the Office was amazing in my opinion from Seasons 1-4, maaayyybe parts of Season 5, but 6 and the current season are awful; they should end it this year since Michael is leaving.

I agree with all of this.

Roseanne was solid to me the whole way through. I love watching the transition from semi-wholesome white trash family show to what often pushed the boundaries of network tv at the time. I think I'll start it up again soon. I always watch an episode if it's on tv. It's like my security blanket...she reminds me of my mom.

also FUCK HATERS but I know Allison will have my back on this...Ghost Hunters seasons 2-4 were the BEST! This new shit can fuck off. It's so gimmicky these days. Also any episode without Dave and Tango can fuck off. #BFFS4EVA

American Dad had an incredible stride between seasons 2-4 and I still get a good laugh off most of the new episodes. Family Guy was of course blowing my mind when it first came on but I honestly think their best work was done after season 5. The animation always bugged me back then as did the crummy earlier Simpsons episodes that are like pulling teeth for me to watch. Family Guy's style of humor is really waning on me.

Now South Park I will have to fight for. I think the strongest seasons are 7-11. The Tourette's episode could've been the only one of the whole 11th season it was that good.

also FUCK HATERS but I know Allison will have my back on this...Ghost Hunters seasons 2-4 were the BEST! This new shit can fuck off. It's so gimmicky these days. Also any episode without Steve and Tango can fuck off. #BFFS4EVA

TR00F.

i seriously used to look forward to watching GH but now i couldn't really care less if i saw it or not. and don't even get me started on that international shit.

oh and fixed! paahahaha.

Entourage is a pretty douchey show in general, but the last 2 seasons have been meh.

Season 2 of Flight of the Concords was lame.

How I Met Your Mother was solid from seasons 1-4, 5 wasn't that great, but 6 has picked up a big again. I'm losing interest though, end this show.

The Office has been in steady decline since Season 3, w/ a few ups here and there.

Parks and Recreations first season wasn't that good, but it hit its stride in Season 2.

The last season of Californication was kind of iffy.

I couldn't get through the 2nd season of Veronica Mars, but the first season is GREAT.

Solid shows all around: 30 Rock, Arrested Development, Community, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Extras, Freaks and Geeks, It's Always Sunny, Lost, Louie, Mad Men, Men of a Certain Age, Modern Family, Nurse Jackie, IT Crowd, The Ricky Gervais Show, Boardwalk Empire, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Portlandia, The Walking Dead

Entourage is a pretty douchey show in general, but the last 2 seasons have been meh.

last season of entourage was a far from meh. the 2 seasons before that turned the show into the same recycled crap on a weekly basis. vince cant do the movie! vince can do the movie!

at least last season they shook things up, and gave us a unique story line.

i might as well list my stuff..

aside from series and seasons that ive watched over and over and over.. i rarely distinguish the good from the not so good.

and ive already covered the simpsons, south park, and entourage in this thread.

but heres a list of my favorites:

30 ROCK, i thought this season was kind of weak

AMERICAN DAD, has of late been the best of the mcfarlane toons on a weekly basis

AQUA TEEN, disappointed that the "revamping" was pretty much a joke. but it did get me interested in new episodes when i probably wouldnt have been

ARCHER, every. single. episode.

ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT, [see archer]

BOBS BURGERS, a fantastic addition to animation domination. hilarious on a weekly basis. and h jon benjamin some more.

CLONE HIGH, fuck you mtv. fuck you.

COMMUNITY, fuck yeah.

FAMILY GUY, cant bare to watch pre-cancellation episodes. it only got better when it came back, and im not tired of it at all

ITS ALWAYS SUNNY, i gotta hand it to season 5, because DENNIS might be the single funniest television episode ever.

LOUIE, cant wait for season 2

MAD MEN, because its fun watching don get away with whatever the fuck he wants.

MODERN FAMILY, gloria and manny get on my nerves, but the rest of the cast make up for it

PARKS & REC, best show on television

SKINS, uk... i think im going to start a thread so i can geek out

SOUTH PARK, late into season 9 we started to see crappy episodes. by season 12 we were lucky to get a not crappy episode.

CLEVELAND SHOW, people seem to hate it, but i find it plenty funny enough to watch

SIMPSONS, cant watch the first 3 seasons. 5 through 10 are simply the best. 11-13 are still great. and i still watch on a weekly basis

UNDECLARED, great while it lasted

WEEDS, ok so i watched the first 5 seasons in a week. so it was hard to distinguish where it went from charmingly wacky to eye-rollingly wacky. all i know is that the first season had me completely hooked, and i couldnt stop. i look forward to how it wraps up this season. also, nancy botWIN.

WORKAHOLICS.

the office just isnt funny enough to keep up on, and it baffles me that how i met your mother is still on the air.

My favorite TV seasons off all the times.

The Wire- Season 3

The Wire- Season 4

Breaking Bad- Season 3

Mad Men- Season 1

Parks & Rec- Season 2

Arrested Development- Cant pick a season, watched them in one blur on Netflix

30 Rock- Season 2

Always Sunny- Season 2

Think thats about it. I moved about 300 miles away from my friends and family, into the goddamn woods so Ive consumed way too much TV in these months. I am eagerly awaiting the return of Breaking Bad, Walking Dead and Sons of Anarchy. Game of Thrones has high potential to crack this list, and Im looking forward to the HBO show Luck premiering.

The Simpsons - Seasons 1 & 2 just look so old and crappy, the series is awesome between seasons 3-6. Then it starts to go downhill til around season 10. Then another dropoff to mediocrity from 11 on.

Much agreed. I think a campaign similar to the guy trying to pay Weezer to break up should ensue. The show is one of my childhood favorites but has been unbearable for years. Every single joke is forced and they've seriously run out of ideas

The Adventures Of Pete & Pete - you probably think it's a kids show. You think wrong. It's incredible how well this show has held up. Plus Iggy Pop in Nona's dad.

Just watched some episodes from Season 1 and 2 from Netflix. They need to stream the entire series. Nostalgia city.

Nickelodeons current shows can't hold a light to their early to mid 90's shows.

also FUCK HATERS but I know Allison will have my back on this...Ghost Hunters seasons 2-4 were the BEST! This new shit can fuck off. It's so gimmicky these days. Also any episode without Steve and Tango can fuck off. #BFFS4EVA

TR00F.

i seriously used to look forward to watching GH but now i couldn't really care less if i saw it or not. and don't even get me started on that international shit.

oh and fixed! paahahaha.

haha Dave Tango! DAMN YOU! but yes, Steve and Tango FTMFW

perhaps my favorite, yet shortest lived show ever, was the one season of John From Cincinnati that HBO did. that show wasn't given a fair chance.

sons of anarchy is great. seasons 1 and 2 are spot on, i'm halfway through 3 and it's a little stupid. it's going to need a strong ending. oh, and henry rollins. 'nuff saif.

eastbound and down - awesome all the way.

arrested development - incredible replay value. perhaps the only show that gets better every time you watch it.

and the best tv show of ALL time... CHEERS. i mean really, this show was wildly witty.