TWIN PEAKS (The 90's show & its return) Discussion - Beware of Spoilers!

My fave TP episodes are a mix of odd atmosphere, supernatural elements, and amplified character/story archetypes; I think having strong characters with clear points of view makes the weird abstract sequences more satisfying. If I don't know who Dale Cooper is, I don't care that a guy is walking in and out of a maze of red-curtained rooms for eternity. Fire Walk With Me was a bit too much of the first two (odd atmosphere, supernatural elements) and not enough of the story telling. The soundtrack for the film is on par (if not better) than the series though. Stoked for season 3.

@burkyburk

The Secret History is very good and is probably the most visually beautiful book I own. It's laid out as an annotated copy of a mysterious dossier that was found that amasses the area's local history and personal histories of some characters. It's annotated by an FBI Agent who's sole intention is to identify the dossier's author.  It  does reveal a few things about Twin Peaks post-series 2 but doesn't fill in all the gaps. Couldn't recommend it enough.

The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer is a very quick read my version is about 180-190 pages. My biggest gripe is that at the start of the diary Laura is only 12 but the way it's written is too cogent and grown up to be convincing. Obviously the subject matter is a lot more unpleasant being littered with instances of rape  and sexual assault often happening to a very young girl. It's worth a punt at a cheap price.

Edited by Stress On The Sky

Yeah, I love the Secret History. It's a fun read, and has some really in depth stories of some of the less featured characters. The only thing I noticed is (and it seems to be a hot spot all over right now) is some of the histories of characters as we know them have changed. Hopefully they'll be some explanation of that.

I snagged The Secret Diary for my Kindle the other day for $1.99. It was one of the Amazon deals. 

8 minutes ago, THE_James_Champ said:

Yeah, I love the Secret History. It's a fun read, and has some really in depth stories of some of the less featured characters. The only thing I noticed is (and it seems to be a hot spot all over right now) is some of the histories of characters as we know them have changed. Hopefully they'll be some explanation of that.

I snagged The Secret Diary for my Kindle the other day for $1.99. It was one of the Amazon deals. 

There are a few inconsistencies across the board that's for sure but whether they'll bother to explain or just gloss over it is unknown. With so much information available about so many characters and so many actors passing away ahead of the filming of season 3 it's hard to say who or what the focus will be on but that all just feeds into my anticipation.  However it turns out I'm such a Lynch fanboy I know I'll probably love it. 

Edited by Stress On The Sky

30 minutes ago, jhulud said:

From what I've been reading, he already had filmed all his scenes in it. It'll still be very heart-breaking to watch. 

Yeah, production wrapped not long ago, I believe Catherine Coulson filmed her parts prior to her passing. Ferrer also recorded his part as Deathstroke for DC's animated Teen Titans: The Judas Contract, as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Breezus said:

Really hyped for this. I remember being amazed when I finished watching the two seasons and FWWM but I felt like it was a crime that it never saw a continuation in all these years.

Also, if you haven't picked up the Blu-Ray boxset yet, Zavvi has it for about 20 bucks.

Fyi, that might not play on US players. It says region B.