TWIN PEAKS (The 90's show & its return) Discussion - Beware of Spoilers!

15 minutes ago, THE_James_Champ said:

I'm pretty much freaking out. I am so anxious.

Same!

Okay, so I need a reminder: what's the deal with the episodes next week?  Is it 2 episodes will be premiering back-to-back, and then we can stream the 3rd one right away on Showtime's streaming thing?  Or is it one 2 hour episode and we stream the 2nd episode on Showtime's streaming thing?

Edited by FiggyPuddling

I think they way they described it: There is a 2 hour premiere on Sunday, the following Sunday is also 2 hours (broken down parts 1/2 and then 3/4). Immediately after (this Sunday), you should be able to stream the premiere episodes (1/2) and the following weeks episodes (3/4). 

The total number of episodes is not technically 18, but instead they are calling it 18 hours. The first two weeks are 4 hours total, and then it will be 1 hour episodes up until the finale, which will also run 2 hours on September 3rd. 

Does that make sense, did I explain it okay?

5 hours ago, THE_James_Champ said:

I think they way they described it: There is a 2 hour premiere on Sunday, the following Sunday is also 2 hours (broken down parts 1/2 and then 3/4). Immediately after (this Sunday), you should be able to stream the premiere episodes (1/2) and the following weeks episodes (3/4). 

The total number of episodes is not technically 18, but instead they are calling it 18 hours. The first two weeks are 4 hours total, and then it will be 1 hour episodes up until the finale, which will also run 2 hours on September 3rd. 

Does that make sense, did I explain it okay?

Perfect!  Thanks.

So, thoughts on parts 1+2?

I know 3 and 4 are available, but I haven't watched them yet. Not sure if I'm going to wait until next Sunday, or devour them this week.

I loved it, even if I didn't quite understand it all. The narrative is mixed, all over the place, but Lynch and Frost filmed this like an 18 hour movie, so there's so much more. It's so Lynch too, down to the dialogue. 

Spoiler

But the Morgan's are coming for dinner!

That had me rolling. 

2 hours ago, THE_James_Champ said:

So, thoughts on parts 1+2?

I know 3 and 4 are available, but I haven't watched them yet. Not sure if I'm going to wait until next Sunday, or devour them this week.

I loved it, even if I didn't quite understand it all. The narrative is mixed, all over the place, but Lynch and Frost filmed this like an 18 hour movie, so there's so much more. It's so Lynch too, down to the dialogue. 

Hide contents

But the Morgan's are coming for dinner!

That had me rolling. 

I loved it so much.  It was the perfect combination of old and new.  Quite a few creepy/freaky moments as well which was great.  I also didn't really know what was going on some of the time but I figured that's to be expected from Lynch in general.

I'm just so happy right now.  I keep thinking about it.  Like... I can't believe I just watched NEW Twim Peaks last night.

I also didn't have time for the 3rd and 4th episodes and I won't be able to get caught up until Wednesday (wife works until 11:00 tonight which is when I go to bed, and she works until 10:00 on Tuesday so we'll at least have time for episode 3).

But yeah.  So pumped right now.

32 minutes ago, FiggyPuddling said:

I loved it so much.  It was the perfect combination of old and new.  Quite a few creepy/freaky moments as well which was great.  I also didn't really know what was going on some of the time but I figured that's to be expected from Lynch in general.

I'm just so happy right now.  I keep thinking about it.  Like... I can't believe I just watched NEW Twim Peaks last night.

I also didn't have time for the 3rd and 4th episodes and I won't be able to get caught up until Wednesday (wife works until 11:00 tonight which is when I go to bed, and she works until 10:00 on Tuesday so we'll at least have time for episode 3).

But yeah.  So pumped right now.

Yeah, I get up for work at 5 am on weekdays, so as MUCH as I would have liked to watch 3+4, I really don't need to be up until 1 am on Monday morning. 

There was so much going on, and in the long run, most of which I believe will lead to payoff. I am so happy for this. I see A LOT of complaining online, because I honestly think people expected a rehashing of the original series. I feel this was much more in line with FWWM, in a big way. Which is great, because I love that flick.

As was said, very interesting mix of old and new. I didn't find myself not caring much for the new characters so far...maybe with given more time to get to know them, I'll be more into them. I couldn't help but smile widely any time any of the OG folks were on screen.

I was starting to lose a bit of patience on figuring how the events of Missouri are tying in with Twin Peaks. Now, we know. Sorta.

I was going to try and avoid spoilers and do a marathon run when it finally makes it to DVD but caved and watched parts 1-4 last night. Going to play devils advocate here and say I'm not totally smitten, that being said there is a lot I have liked so far but some of the other stuff fell flat.

Spoiler

Loving all the black lodge stuff, the grittier visuals to the gore and the NYC thread. The areas that are falling flat for me in parts are the dialogue and the comic relief moments with Andy and Lucy. Michael Cera's Wally is also just plain bad.

A large part of the problem for me is the unnatural feel to the conversations twinned with the lack of tonal score cues. I'm not saying they should have aped what they did with the original series entirely but it might soften the delivery and actually make them land better in a comedic sense if it wasn't a joke or a bizarrely alien statement of a fact happening in tense awkward silence.

Also hoping they stop closing every episode with a band at the Road House.

Minor grumbles aside I'm hungry for more.

7 hours ago, Stress On The Sky said:

I was going to try and avoid spoilers and do a marathon run when it finally makes it to DVD but caved and watched parts 1-4 last night. Going to play devils advocate here and say I'm not totally smitten, that being said there is a lot I have liked so far but some of the other stuff fell flat.

Hide contents

Loving all the black lodge stuff, the grittier visuals to the gore and the NYC thread. The areas that are falling flat for me in parts are the dialogue and the comic relief moments with Andy and Lucy. Michael Cera's Wally is also just plain bad.

A large part of the problem for me is the unnatural feel to the conversations twinned with the lack of tonal score cues. I'm not saying they should have aped what they did with the original series entirely but it might soften the delivery and actually make them land better in a comedic sense if it wasn't a joke or a bizarrely alien statement of a fact happening in tense awkward silence.

Also hoping they stop closing every episode with a band at the Road House.

Minor grumbles aside I'm hungry for more.

I agree, but this song is too good... 

1 hour ago, rooks said:

i saw that, but i'm wondering if that song will come in the soundtrack release they announced. 

edit: fuck it, ordered the 12". don't wanna miss it.

Edited by batman