Sleeves & Storage (Your Opinions)

Another one of these threads.

I'm not in a financial or residential position to purchase an Expedit - or anything overly elaborate, for that matter - but I keep... accumulating records. I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem.

At this point I'm just looking for something sturdy to hold said records. A simple box on the floor would suffice. These caught my eye: essentially glorified milkcrates, more or less designed with record storage in mind. I'd probably line the bottom with cardboard and foam to prevent bent corners. Either way, that's essentially what I'm looking for: something small, eventually portable, and inexpensive.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. I'm also eying a few storage boxes over at Bags Unlimited, but I have no experience with them. Has anyone used these? Which is the best to go for?

And finally: sleeves. I've purchased my fair share of sleeves in the past... a few different styles and types. I'm getting pretty low, and I've decided that I'd like to buy one specific type to use on all of my records. Currently, some of mine have resealable flaps, while others don't. Some are 4 mil plastic, and - while gorgeous - have a stiff edge that raises them above the rest of the record (just a hair), or sports an atrociously visible line down the spine. I'm probably suffering from a bit of pseudo OCD at the moment, but I'd love to see all my record spines flush, and with identical sleeves. I know I'm not alone here.

So of the selection at Bags Unlimited and Sleeve City, what do you guys recommend? I'm essentially looking for a sleeve that - most importantly - holds up and protects the record. Something that fits single and double LPs... and holds its clarity over time. Something that doesn't look too cloudy when slipped over the cover, and isn't too thick or stiff. Being able to clearly see the spine would also be a plus.

Deathwish sleeves are pretty awesome, and fill most of this criteria. They can sometimes be on the thin side, I feel, but I suppose that's a tradeoff for having them "flexible" and not stiff, with overly protruding seams.

Are there any record sleeves that you swear by, and buy in bulk? I'd love to check them out.

Cheers.

I used those corrugated cardboard boxes from Bags Unlimited for years before I bought the Expedit. Moved across the country and back with them as well. They're great.

I use the 'slps3' from Bags Unlimited. They're perfect for me, although the occasional double LP is too big for them. They don't get cloudy and I think they pretty much fit your criteria.

Looking forward to hearing some of the reply's about sleeves for this thread seeing as I'm in a pickle about them myself and my criteria is fairly similar to yours(:

And just my advice, before you go out and buy anything for storage, I'd check craigslist first, a few weeks ago I bought a brand new 2x2 expedit from somebody for 25$ because he was moving out of the country and didn't need it, good luck finding something good!

Well as far as sleeves go I use these bad boys http://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo.asp?number=JPNOUTERLP. Although they're relatively expensive they are worth every penny. I like you don't like the seam showing on the spine so what i do with all of mine is i put the opening of the record in the sleeve first that way the flap goes right over the spine. Seeing as how there is no seam on the flat i think that's ideal for what you want. I couldn't recommend them

enough. If you are looking for cheaper ones you can go here: http://www.squaredealonline.com/b.asp?v=75. I've used these before, but didn't really like them as the adhesive strip would lose it's stickiness after only a couple opens.

All this Expedit talk has got me lusting for one pretty bad. Money isn't the biggest concern, in that department: I'm sure I could put some cash off to the side like you recommended, cactusbot. I'm more-so concerned about the spatial issues. I'd have to do some serious rearranging to get them to work -- everything kind of just "fits" perfectly as is.

How do records sit inside the Expedit? Is it an absolutely perfect fit? Does anyone know - roughly - how many records can be stored per cube? And does anyone have the 2 x 4 model? I'm a little iffy about the support. Is it possible to turn it on its side for additional stability?

Checked Craigslist with no real luck. The closest Ikea is about an hour and half away. I'll probably make the trip sometime down the road, when I have some funds to play with.

And for what it's worth, I don't plan on being at this place for too terribly long. Maybe another year or two, max? That's why the "crate" approach seems so much more appealing. No idea how you'd transfer a couple of hundred LPs, but if I can find something that's a little more... portable, that'd be ideal.

As far as sleeves go; I think I've purchased [quite] a few of those before, Jared. I love them... assuming we're talking about the same ones. The seam does protrude quite a bit, but I like your idea of folding the lip over the spine for extra visibility. My only gripe with those are their inability to handle x2 LPs... or even gatefolds, for that matter. They're just a hair too tight, and I've actually split one or two of them trying to make it work. (At which point it'd become a pain in the ass to even remove the record. And thus not worth it at all.)

@ chiefwahoo: I'll definitely check out those SLPS3 sleeves. They sound promising.

Itso cubes from Target. 13x13, hold like 50 albums each. made out of solid plastic, stackable. eight bucks.

EDIT: i also use the Ultimate 2.5 sleeves from Sleeve City. Amazing clarity, and thin enough that it doesnt add any extra size, but thick enough that it protects the sleeves well. highly recommended.

I'm in desperate need of another 2x4 expedit. I know the dilemma of accumulating records all too well.

I think the sleeves I get at Cheapo are from Bags Unlimoted but are a little oversized and have a seam on the spine. they work for me. can't stand the PVC resealable. they always seem to stick to the jackets and tear easily, especially during shipment!

Thanks, everyone. Those Itso cubes sound absolutely perfect for the time being -- I'm kind of just looking to keep my records off the floor and leaning against random furniture. The fact they can be used for moving later on is especially awesome. How sturdy are they? Being fabric, do they allow the records to lean quite a bit? I'm only skeptical because the price on them is so cheap... and you obviously get what you pay for.

Still going to pursue a 2 x 4 Expedit. Like geezfools mentioned, I'm also concerned about their lack of a back. But I have some crafty friends and family members - it seems like an easy-enough workaround, if I can get a hold of the proper materials.

That just leaves the sleeves, now. Jared; do you use these, specifically? "Crystal Clear Mylar Outer Sleeves that will comfortably fit single and double gatefold LPs!" - it makes it sound as if x2 LPs will slide in without a hassle. I know they're pricey, but they sound pretty amazing. Especially if they can be used on single LPs or gatefolds.

Still going to pursue a 2 x 4 Expedit. Like geezfools mentioned, I'm also concerned about their lack of a back. But I have some crafty friends and family members - it seems like an easy-enough workaround, if I can get a hold of the proper materials.

a simple 1x2" piece of craft wood from the hardware/craft store and a couple nails will keep them all in place. I took 3 pieces of wood, nailed them together to make a shape like this |_| I set it in the back of my expedit shelves. the flat bottom part touches the back of my records the two 'arms' extend past the back outside of my expedit and bump up against the wall pushing the records forward a bit.

Like everyone else i store in the Expedite but i also store my records in a 12x12 carboard photo album case that i got from Michaels and for 7"s i use a 7x12 cardboard photo/index card holder. I like being able to pull them out and look through them like you would a milk crate.

For sleeves i use these, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=400215313837&si=Ql1PfI2yMSJ3wwdR9IQrjdElvYM%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT, no problem fitting gatefolds into them and ive even fit a 3xlp in them no problem.

im also debating on getting these, http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70180390 , to store my records in my expedite as the cardboard photo album holder is a little flimsy.

I have some serious OCD with no only my storage, but also with my poly sleeves, so I figure I can share with you what I do and/or have done in the past.

I use two types of poly bags for my records, which I scoop up from BU. For me, this works out great because if I order 100 bags of each type every time I place an order, I get free shipping.

For single LPs or gatefolds that have a minimal spine, I use the 12 5/8x12 5/8 3 mil bags - they are snug fitting & don't have a seam over the spine. I should add that I HATE loose poly bags.

http://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-3730-12-record-jacket-sleevea-idrjsa.aspx

For double LPs I use the same bag except in the 12 3/4x12 3/4 measurement to allow extra space.

http://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-4186-12-record-jacket-sleeve.aspx

The 3 mil is a great size that is sturdy and clear without having that nasty seam. For me, the 2 mil versions are just too flimsy. Hope that helps!

Thanks, everyone. Those Itso cubes sound absolutely perfect for the time being -- I'm kind of just looking to keep my records off the floor and leaning against random furniture. The fact they can be used for moving later on is especially awesome. How sturdy are they? Being fabric, do they allow the records to lean quite a bit? I'm only skeptical because the price on them is so cheap... and you obviously get what you pay for.

That just leaves the sleeves, now. Jared; do you use these, specifically? "Crystal Clear Mylar Outer Sleeves that will comfortably fit single and double gatefold LPs!" - it makes it sound as if x2 LPs will slide in without a hassle. I know they're pricey, but they sound pretty amazing. Especially if they can be used on single LPs or gatefolds.

Yeah those sleeves are the ones i exclusively use. No other because even some of my thickest gatefolds still slide in with ease. I can't recommend them enough, man. Also i managed to fit a 3 xlp in the Japanese ones easily. Also i love them because they don't get cloudy at all.

• 4 weeks later...

from someone that's been buying, selling, storing, and moving records for years (5 houses in 10 years), I gotta say the expedit is the way to go. I've owned or still own four different company's lp storage shelves (boltz, target, metal rack from the 70's, and a bookcase), and the expedit is considerably better than any of the alternatives.

I also own a handful of bags unlimited boxes. The PLASTIC corrugated boxes are soooo much better than the plain corrugated cardboard boxes and not much more expensive. The plastic corrugated 7" boxes RULE, and I have a dozen of those for 7"s (which then sit on a book case so they don't look so trashy).

as for outer sleeves, NON RESEALABLE. When you actually listen to records all the time, those fucking resealable bags suck. They take too much time (stupid reason), they get gross, and worst of all, if you're not paying attention 100% you end up sticking one to an lp cover or insert or something. I have a handful of inserts that have big pieces missing from those motherfuckers. Just buy the plainest lp bags you can find an you'll be fine. Most record stores sell them, and if you buy in packs of 100 it's always cheaper.

I say this in just about every thread like this, but... If you can't afford an expedit, then shop around thrift and second hand stores. You should be able to find an older record cabinet cheap. Everyone used to own records. Most people don't anymore. There are tons of these old cabinets floating around that were specifically made for storing LPs. If your collection isn't too big, its the perfect solution.