how you fix your bent 12" vinyl ?

i just face this problem.

just check some of vinyl which i ask my friend freight with her stuffs when she moved back to thailand. it's bent around 6-7 mm from usually flat plate vinyl.

d' you guys know how to fix it step by step ?

is it effect to sound quality ?

please guide me. i never face this problem before and expect i can re-bend it with not bad sound quality....

:(

Does it look like this?

[image]

or this?

[image]

...If so,

remove the record from the cover/artwork.

Leave it in the white inner sleeve/dust cover.

Put it back in the plastic sleeve.

Put record on a flat surface, like a desk or table or on the floor if you have non-carpet floors. Then put some large heavy books on top of the record. Then put something heavy on top of the book. A bucket of paint. A large cement block, more books.

After about a week the record should re-flatten.

Does this really work?

Dick and fart jokes aside, putting a bunch of heavy books on top of it/next to a sunny window has worked for me 3-4 times. It doesn't make it ridiculously straight but it definitely fixed the horrible pop/fuzz I was getting.

i just understood your joke, hahaha....

tamkerdesk,

thanks for that suggestion and i will try to do it.

actually i know a guy who work in acrylic factory. i think i may ask him for use heat dyer for re-bend but i concern the heat and high temperature will melt the grooves....

I'd stay away from trying to heat it. I tried the oven trick and it seemed to work at first, but there was the slightest bend left so I stuck it back in. It came out perfectly straight but had surface noise on the entire record.

Best bet is under something heavy for a couple of hours.

Does this really work?

I had a record with about 2" of warp on it (laying flat the highest point was 2" higher than the record)

I did what I said with the books and then I put about 40-60lbs from 3 cans of paint on top of the book. I'd check it everyday and after about a week it was almost perfectly flat. It played fine, I didn't have to stick it in the oven or in direct sunlight. Safest way, just takes a little patience.

As an experiment I put a warped double of a record i have under an expedit for about two weeks and it came out perfectly straight. It's also worth mentioning the record was pretty badly warped. I was afraid that it would crack under the weight and to some extent i still believe certain weights of vinyl will, but this one didn't and it didn't affect the sound of the record overall. food for thought i suppose