new tattoo appresh

How much do you guys normally tio your artist? A set percentage or amount depending on the time spent. Do you pay differently on flash vs personalized work? I am getting work done again soon and after seeing that comment about 50% tip, I want to make sure I am not being a cheap bastard.

You missed my point completely. If the artist is experienced and good---it shouldn't take that long to complete a sleeve.

It is not just the artist that determines the time. If the recipient of the tattoo is a squirmer or needs lots of breaks or has a low pain threshold, the tattoo will take longer as well.

Thanks for the feedback on tips. I only tipped 50% on a charitable tattoo thus far, but I will keep that in mind when finding a great artist for regular work. For the others, so far I have hung in the 20-30% range, but got some work that I will likely be touching up in the future thanks to shaky hands and already fading colors/uneven shading. I am ether getting on the list for art machine next or making a trip to Brooklyn.

Thanks for all the replies on this...yeah this is a new thing to me, its not like I go often, but I clearly am going to have to go back since I cant get everything done in one sitting

Also WHEN do i tip?  If we are just doing the lines do i tip then? do i tip when its all totally done?  So much to kick over..and again, many thanks

Every session you tip.  If each session is 300 to 400, and you like what you're getting done and want him to look forward to you coming back, I'd suggest tipping a minimum of 100.   Don't rush to get it done if you don't have the funds for it.

It is not just the artist that determines the time. If the recipient of the tattoo is a squirmer or needs lots of breaks or has a low pain threshold, the tattoo will take longer as well.

plus if the artist is just a slower tattoo artist, or takes his time coloring ////// talks a lot!

You missed my point completely. If the artist is experienced and good---it shouldn't take that long to complete a sleeve. 

It also depends on what you're getting. If it has a lot of linework and shading, it'll take much longer than if you're just getting a bunch of fill-in shit and solid color.  You could go bang out a piece in much less time, get blown out lines, scarring and poor color saturation, or you can take the time it takes and pay the money to get quality tattoos.

10 hours on a half sleeve, and I'm talking a real half sleeve, shoulder through elbow coverage, isn't a crazy long amount of time in my opinion.

Up to you I guess.

It also depends on what you're getting. If it has a lot of linework and shading, it'll take much longer than if you're just getting a bunch of fill-in shit and solid color.  You could go bang out a piece in much less time, get blown out lines, scarring and poor color saturation, or you can take the time it takes and pay the money to get quality tattoos.

10 hours on a half sleeve, and I'm talking a real half sleeve, shoulder through elbow coverage, isn't a crazy long amount of time in my opinion.

Up to you I guess.

Yeah I would rather pay top dollar for something amazing.  I went to one consult with an artist talking about ideas and sleeve and dead space and he goes "at the end of the day sometimes tattoos are just tattoos and they dont mean anything".  which is all well and fine and i get that, but i dont necesserily want random shit on my arm that doesnt come off with a shower.  I feel him saying that to me was a turn off.  I gave him all the things i wanted in there and incorporated, so i feel like adding shit from a book isnt necessery, perhaps its me

Thanks for all the replies on this...yeah this is a new thing to me, its not like I go often, but I clearly am going to have to go back since I cant get everything done in one sitting

Also WHEN do i tip?  If we are just doing the lines do i tip then? do i tip when its all totally done?  So much to kick over..and again, many thanks

What Jacob said; I tip every session. I've known some people to save it all up and tip at the end, but that doesn't really make sense to me. It comes back to what Shelby said too, if they're making good money off you, they're going to try harder to get you in/use you to fill in cancellations so you get done quicker if you're doing multiple sessions.

Also helps if you're a generally likable person and they get friendly with you.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the shading. While I was waiting there were two girls waiting too. One was the bad girl. The other, suburbanite pretty blonde clean as a whistle. Going back and forth about how much trouble she'd get in. And how the bad girl doesn't tip. I'm in the chair. Along come the blonde. Where does she get her first? Giant neck tat! \m/

The shading will get super light. I did t want heavy.

6F486569-02AA-4C27-A80D-7AD0AA20B1ED_zps

Hi guys, I'm Paul! New to this place, so thought this was as good of a thread as any to introduce myself!

Got my sleeve finished a few months back. Took a good few years to do, but was totally worth it...

Hope you all like it!

1973874_10152287057529720_1747902798_o.j

That's pretty sweet. I do wish the shark was facing the other way though for some reason. I think it's so it would be facing forward, and also opposite the whale. Very vibrant though, I like the color pallet a lot!

That's pretty sweet. I do wish the shark was facing the other way though for some reason. I think it's so it would be facing forward, and also opposite the whale. Very vibrant though, I like the color pallet a lot!

That's a good point! Though I'm quite happy with it the way it is :-)

The dude is great with colours. I've never been a great fan of greyscale work, much prefer a good colour piece. He's a friend of mine so I pretty much trust him to do whatever the hell he wants!

That's a good point! Though I'm quite happy with it the way it is :-)

The dude is great with colours. I've never been a great fan of greyscale work, much prefer a good colour piece. He's a friend of mine so I pretty much trust him to do whatever the hell he wants!

Oh yeah, you should definitely be happy with it. It looks super well done and I don't want you to think I was talking shit about it at all. I actually really like it. Lines look nice and crisp too in addition to the nice color palette! I was just knit-picking because I like it quite a lot.

Welcome to the board.

Oh yeah, you should definitely be happy with it. It looks super well done and I don't want you to think I was talking shit about it at all. I actually really like it. Lines look nice and crisp too in addition to the nice color palette! I was just knit-picking because I like it quite a lot.

Welcome to the board.

I didn't think you were talking shit about it anyway, but thanks!

Considering starting the other arm, but no idea what I want for now, so I won't be rushing into anything....

Thanks for the welcome!