new tattoo appresh

barrie where do you get tattooed in ny?

I just went to a new artist/new place.

Myles Karr at Saved Tattoo in Brooklyn

I recommend him or anyone else there, all fantastic artists.

my old artist tattoos at some shop in queens now. all my friends in ny get tattooed by bert krak, steve boltz, or eli quinters

Guest genericinsight

I just went to a new artist/new place.

Myles Karr at Saved Tattoo in Brooklyn

I recommend him or anyone else there, all fantastic artists.

my old artist tattoos at some shop in queens now. all my friends in ny get tattooed by bert krak, steve boltz, or eli quinters

Yeah, Eli Quinters works at Saved also. He's AMAZING, but everyone wants to go to him so he always has a really long waiting list.

I'm not familiar with the other two you mentioned.

Myles was a super nice dude and I got along with him well, and call me lame but I think that's also an important part of the tattoo experience. The last thing you want to do while getting tattooed is to feel uncomfortable with the person who's doing it. I love his work so I'm almost positive I'd go to him again.

Yeah, Eli Quinters works at Saved also. He's AMAZING, but everyone wants to go to him so he always has a really long waiting list.

I'm not familiar with the other two you mentioned.

Myles was a super nice dude and I got along with him well, and call me lame but I think that's also an important part of the tattoo experience. The last thing you want to do while getting tattooed is to feel uncomfortable with the person who's doing it. I love his work so I'm almost positive I'd go to him again.

NY artists are really expensive.

^Is it just here? I thought good tattoo artists in general were expensive.

NY prices are A LOT more. my new artist does guest spots at top shelf tattoo in queens and said he could charge like twice as much as he normally would and people would have no problem with it. in NY most shops charge $185 an hour and shop minimum is $85. in FL its like $100-125 an hour and $50-60 shop min.

im so glad i never have to pay full prices. my artist tatooed me for two hours and charged me 60 bucks

I've gone to this shop like 3 times in the past 2 months to make an appointment. And everytime I chicken out. I have 3 tattoos, so I don't know why I second guess it now. I'm looking to get a 3/4 sleeve up some japanese style prints. And I know the artist I want. I went up tonight (25 min drive) and this guy let me look at a book, but there was nothing I wanted in it. So I went to barnes and noble and dropped $50 on a book with some stuff I'm intrested in. We'll see how it goes looking through it. Wish me luck.

Guest genericinsight
^Is it just here? I thought good tattoo artists in general were expensive.

NY prices are A LOT more. my new artist does guest spots at top shelf tattoo in queens and said he could charge like twice as much as he normally would and people would have no problem with it. in NY most shops charge $185 an hour and shop minimum is $85. in FL its like $100-125 an hour and $50-60 shop min.

im so glad i never have to pay full prices. my artist tatooed me for two hours and charged me 60 bucks

Not necessarily... my deposit for this was $40 and Myles only charged me $120 for an hour and a half sitting (granted I did give him a tip too). It depends on the artist I think... I don't know, somehow I highly doubt it's just up here that's expensive. Maybe you're just lucky that the guy you go to is really cheap.

Guest genericinsight
well im friends with the artist so that also helps. and i always tip him real well. he charged me 60 and i gave him 160.

Well, there's your answer.

I was friends with my old artist and he used to give me insane discounts, but his work wasn't so great. Honestly, I'd much rather spend a little more money and get great artwork than something half-assed that was cheap.

(Not saying your tattoos suck. they don't, in fact they're quite good, just saying it most likely helps if you're friends with the dude and you tip him well... I have also heard that if you tip well the artist gives you discounts)

well im friends with the artist so that also helps. and i always tip him real well. he charged me 60 and i gave him 160.

Well, there's your answer.

I was friends with my old artist and he used to give me insane discounts, but his work wasn't so great. Honestly, I'd much rather spend a little more money and get great artwork than something half-assed that was cheap.

(Not saying your tattoos suck. they don't, in fact they're quite good, just saying it most likely helps if you're friends with the dude and you tip him well... I have also heard that if you tip well the artist gives you discounts)

yeah he is a good artist. my old artist was much better though.

I've found it's best to just date a tattoo artist and become part of the shop family. Hot tattoo'd girl + free tattoos = FTW

It's also best to have a roomie who tattoos as well. I have a full sleeve that was done for about $100. Actually come to think of it, all my tattoos have basically come out to $200 total.

Guest genericinsight
I've found it's best to just date a tattoo artist and become part of the shop family. Hot tattoo'd girl + free tattoos = FTW

LOL, yeah

My old artist's gf (now wife) would always brag about how she would get her tattoos free.

I need to date a tattoo artist dammit! ;D

• 1 month later...