academic milestones

harryq

in 2 hours, I'm taking my qualifying exam (the first big hurdle on my way to getting a phd in biostatistics)--anyone else having any big academic milestones coming up (or happen recently)?

qualifying exams suck... I'm further along with my dissertation than my classmates (in that I've started my dissertation), so that will hopefully be worth some bonus points (the grading of the exam is objective/blinded, but the pass/fail decision accounts for other things)

I have a degree in History and I work retail.

College.

i have a degree in fine art and work as a legal secretary for the state. YYEEAAHHHHHH BUDDY!

Degree in History and Political Science, work as a college admissions counselor. Am I close? Somebody give me a NYC or state job please?

i have a degree in fine art and work as a legal secretary for the state. YYEEAAHHHHHH BUDDY!

Degree in History and Political Science, work as a college admissions counselor. Am I close? Somebody give me a NYC or state job please?

my college roommate's husband is actually in the exact same boat, ahaha.

and don't ask for a state job unless you enjoy being underpaid to do 3 jobs, while surrounded by the laziest people on earth. there are absolutely zero rewards for being a good employee. the only time it pays to work here is if you're here for a million years, they break your spirit, and you become a supervisor the only way you can: seniority.

my college roommate's husband is actually in the exact same boat, ahaha.

and don't ask for a state job unless you enjoy being underpaid to do 3 jobs, while surrounded by the laziest people on earth. there are absolutely zero rewards for being a good employee. the only time it pays to work here is if you're here for a million years, they break your spirit, and you become a supervisor the only way you can: seniority.

Crazy boat! Some state jobs in NY pay well, but same thing with lazy and/or incompetent people. Used to work a crap job at the NYC Department Of Education, then moved "up" to this. Woo! But seriously I need to wiggle my way through this school...

I may possibly have my AAS in Computer Informations Systems: Cisco equipment in the winter, and I seriously doubt I'll do anything with it. I need to get my internship shit straightened out first though.

Mixing things you just sort of like doing, computers for me, and career does not always end well.

Finished my masters in Education this spring and it hasn't come in the mail yet, motherfuckin UB. I hope to never have to go back to school again, I did college for 7 damn years.

Out of that 7 years, though, I got a BA in History/Economics, a Professional Certificate for Teaching, a NYS Teaching License, and a Masters in Secondary Education (Soc Stud), so I guess I accumulated enough pieces of paper to make me employable.

I've had my Master's in Library Science for over a year now and still work in a grocery store, in addition to my library gig. Sucks.
Oh yea. I teach one period (last year it was two) and then sub. In order to help pay for the bills, I work for the Town Rec department alongside some of the kids in the school I teach in. It's great fun!

Guest markovianprocess

I've got a month left until I finish my MSc, was going on to do an MLitt afterwards, but the fee rises (or doubles in my case) have screwed me out of that for the time being. Ambitions of doing a PhD, but not for a few years.

i would love to go to grad school, but i just can't justify the cost right now. i don't know how people deal with all the debt. my best friend's girlfriend is in vet school right now and will have $200k in debt when she graduates in the spring. considering my ex had $50k in debt and had to pay $500 a month, she'll be paying $2000 a month. average starting salary is only around $60k for a vet, which means over half of every paycheck would be going towards loans. oof.

I've been in and out of College since my high school graduation in 2004. I had to take loans out for 3 of my semesters, the others I would only go when I had the money to pay it up front. Even though it's taken ages to get a 2 year degree (well changing majors 3 times does not help either), I'm glad I won't be in crippling debt for years.

i would love to go to grad school, but i just can't justify the cost right now. i don't know how people deal with all the debt. my best friend's girlfriend is in vet school right now and will have $200k in debt when she graduates in the spring. considering my ex had $50k in debt and had to pay $500 a month, she'll be paying $2000 a month. average starting salary is only around $60k for a vet, which means over half of every paycheck would be going towards loans. oof.

when I was first looking in to grad school, I was told something along the lines of "if you have to pay for it, don't go". this advice may have just applied to grad school for biostatistics (between research and teaching assistantships, I think 90% of the students in our program get tuition and insurance covered + a stipend), but I can't imagine graduating having racked up 4-5 years of $20,000/year tuition debt.